Recommitted Levi Casboult [re-signed]

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll make it easy for you to understand, because you clearly miss the point. Cas shopped himself last year and failed to get a sniff. Fast forward 6 months he is already doing it again. Gibbs asked to be traded, club refused. This is 2 senior players who would rather be elsewhere than buy into a club rebuild. Why on earth would any club want to keep re-signing mercenaries like this? What message does it send to a young playing group? A club culture needs to be established ahead of just giving guys like Casboult another contract just because the compo isnt high enough.
You clearly need to grow up and understand football is a business. Part of that is trying to determine market worth. That's all casboult has done. On Gibbs he's said he's happy to stay you're making a judgement based on less than all the facts.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
You mean like refusing to trade Cam Mcarthy when he'd rather be elsewhere?

And for the record, Gibbs and Casboult both love the club. Gibbs requested a trade because his wife wanted to move home and not because he didn't enjoy playing at Carlton. Casboult has every right to try and maximise his earnings as a limited footballer.

I can't believe I'm even biting at such a stupid troll.

We didnt re-sign Cam after he wanted to leave, this is what is being suggested in here by Carlton supporters in regard to Casboult.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We didnt re-sign Cam after he wanted to leave, this is what is being suggested in here by Carlton supporters in regard to Casboult.
Casboult doesn't want to leave for mental health reasons. If he leaves it's a business decision. I.e. He can earn more money elsewhere. For an average footballer with an increasingly obvious used by date he'd be moronic not to leave for a bit more money. Absolutely nothing to do with feelings towards Carlton.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Casboult doesn't want to leave for mental health reasons. If he leaves it's a business decision. I.e. He can earn more money elsewhere. For an average footballer with an increasingly obvious used by date he'd be moronic not to leave for a bit more money. Absolutely nothing to do with feelings towards Carlton.

Can you follow conversations at all?

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Band 3 most likely, will get overpaid salary wise for reduced length of contract I'd suspect.

I think we'll keep him anyway. Worthwhile having him, Rowe, White, Palmer etc as guys who are easily disposable in 2 years yes, but necessary to protect the kids. Even GWS still goes down this route with De Boer, Mzungu and Reid, you have to have some seasoned mature bodies.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Geelong very much need another key forward and don't have the picks to get an elite talent. Would happily take Casboult to help Hawkins out and allow Taylor to go down back as Lonergan retires.

I think it's unlikely he comes to Geelong but he'd be a good affordable option is like them to look at.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I would take him but wouldn't pay big for him,$400k x 3 years max - What pick that would get carlton who knows

Jack likes to roam the foward line and we have the small fwds to buzz around at his feet so might just work and allow Schache some time to develop

Jack and Levi would take the best 2 defenders leaving Schache the 3rd - Could be good

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Would suit a team that gets plenty of forward 50s that lands 20-30 meters from goal.... he is an elite pack mark in forward line and this is rare as hens teeth

Would also suit a team that has a young forward line to protect youngsters as he has plenty of mongrel about him

As for Blues we need to give Harry McKay, Kerr and Ben Silvagni games (when he is drafted next year)

4thchicken

All Australian
Mar 31, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I find it hard to value casboult as a player (2nd ruck/forward) - Don't watch enough of other teams nowadays so have gone for statistical assessment (focus on HO and goals/game)

Daniher - 16.2 disp, 7.1 marks (1.4 cont), 4.4 HO, 2.7 goals/game
J.Jenkins - 11.9 disp, 4.6 marks (0.9 cont), 3.1 HO, 1.9 goals/game
Casboult - 9.8 disp, 5.1 marks (1.9 cont), 8.2 HO, 1.7 goals/game
Lobb- 11.4 disp, 4 marks (2.2 cont), 6.3 HO, 1.3 goals/game
Trengove - 12.8 disp, 3.6 marks (0.9 cont), 9 HO, 0.9 goals/game

Could argue Lobb should be ranked higher however have weighted on basis of blues being ranked 17th in inside50s (Port 1st) and 15th in stoppages (Port 2nd) - i.e. performance in HO and goals/game relative to opportunity

Based on the above, does casboult rank within the top 5 2nd ruck/forwards of the comp? (excluding those that have played less than 50% of games*)

*Pederson - 17 disp, 5.6 marks (1.2 cont), 16.2 HO, 1.4 goals/game (5 games)
*Preuss - 11.3 disp, 4.8 marks (2.0 cont), 27 HO, 0.8 goals/game (4 games)
*Petrie - 11 disp, 4.3 marks (1.0 cont), 13.3 HO, 1 goals/game (3 games)

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Would take him for less money and potentially the same or less opportunity

Assuming we've exhausted all other options

Pretty big upgrade on your second forward/ruck options atm imo.

I believe it's pretty much down to Elton & Griffiths right? Though you did go smaller against the dogs to good effect.

Still, dogs don't have many talls themselves so you might need that second KPF come finals.
At worst he'd be first backup to Jack if he got injured/suspended to play a role.

Pretty big upgrade on your second forward/ruck options atm imo.

I believe it's pretty much down to Elton & Griffiths right? Though you did go smaller against the dogs to good effect.

Still, dogs don't have many talls themselves so you might need that second KPF come finals.
At worst he'd be first backup to Jack if he got injured/suspended to play a role.
Agreed, we need something

I just think there are better first choice options out there so wouldn't sell the farm

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Probably good enough to get a new contract at a couple of clubs at the end of the year. Really hoping Richmond aren't interested.

At the right price he would be a great fit at your club.

He is a great mark and can play back up ruck.

Plus you're not giving up anything but cap space, and not much over the average wage most likely.

I think he's definitely got AFL value.

Keep in mind he has been at a bottom 4 team most of his career.

Back