Casboult's Kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Red was one of the smartest KPPs, body-positioning and reading the play wise I have ever seen. Would be rare to find a player as (un)athletic as him turning out to be as good a defender (or footballer full stop).

As for all this 'kick to the man in the crowd' stuff. Good idea, but just as easy to have 206 stand in the goal square and tell Cas to put it on his head. Sail through mid-post high :)

For mine.
We need him in the team, but the kicking needs fixing.
I can't kick a footy myself so I won't pretend I can fix it.
2 things.
1. Why did it take until round 2 to get someone in. We had all preseason to do something.
2. I seem to remember he had a knee injury early days and I seem to remember that someone said it changed his kicking action for a while and made it worse. Anyone remember or having input on this?

Is Sav allowed on to the field when the boys are doing their warm up. If so, him and Levi should just head to the goal and have a few set shots with Sav standing behind the goal posts. Hopefully Sav is in the change rooms before the game calming Levi down and giving him some much needed advice.
He's not 12.

Diff is he's more Ruck height and just don't think he will have the necessity mobility and speed and agility to play there effectively

Lance Whitnall played back - was slow in body but rapid in mind.

I think the idea is worth exploring; at VFL level at least.
Whitnall wasn't as slow as he looked and was far more agile than Casboult, in fact agility was something Lanced used fairly well at times. Could try it but I think I know how it would go. Big Casboult pulls up like a loaded train, any forward with clever leading patterns would leave him in their dust. If we were looking for a position change experiment then perhaps number 1 ruck, alternating with Kreuzer, gives us extra mobility and marking power out around the ground and a ruckman who can be used successfully both offensively and defensively. Would lose the taps though and get slaughtered at times. In saying that, Casboult is very good at getting hand to ball for a part timer.

Malthouse typically goes for the larger bodied type player - the smalls have to have factorX. Casboult's kicking is atrocious and would frustrate Malthouse no end - remember Malthouse didn't play Casboult in game 1 against the Tigers.....

However malthouse can't ignore Casboult's ability around the ground, chop outruck, boundary line get out marks, good chaser, competitive and goes pretty even paced for four quarters,...all good attributes - better than Jones...Watson is fighting for a Jones spot - unless he starts kicking 's and 4's soon Malthouse might give watson a go...Kreuzer coming in is the biggest threat to Casboult..

Levi has about three weeks to really improve...

Casboult's kicking for goal has been atrocious since he has been at the club.

I would have thought we would have been working with him on his technique for the last 4-5 years. I don't have high hopes that Sav Rocca is going to sort him out any time soon.

I don't think a stint in the backline will help him or the team, the only option I can see is to play him as a high half forward. By all accounts his field kicking is nowhere near as bad as his goal kicking.

Really cant see any other role for him at the moment.

He's contracted till the end of next year.

I would hope they give him every opportunity to get that part of his game sorted.

I think Dermie is a dill, but I do rate his ability to spot talent. He's a big Cas supporter, that's good enough for me.

Plop him in the goalsquare at the start of every game. Just a stay at home forward. Hopefully he gets one or two then move him out. I think it is mainly to do with confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking action looked better even if the results were woeful. Ball drop still looked terrible with hands on the bottom of the ball.

Maybe he needs to try the old Rod Austin technique with thumbs up. Couldn't be any worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back