Casefile podcasts

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Hi all,

I think there's a few of us that tune in to the Casefile podcasts and thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to discuss the various cases that they cover.

Just finished the Jonestown 3 part series this morning. Having never heard of it before now, I'm absolutely staggered by what happened. I just can't quite wrap my head around it. 909 people dead, all because they followed one crazed, fanatical man. Just crazy.

The way in which they died as well, is just bloody awful.

patsmith

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
92&94&06
I coincidentally also listened to the Jonestown eps this week. I knew about the case but the background info was very enlightening.

It's a good podcast. They generally don't get too deep into most cases (obviously through time constraints, interest), but you get a good overview in a reasonable amount of time.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Listened to the Lin family one this morning.

I've started to realise how little attention I pay to news on a regular basis. I remember the killings but had no idea who had committed them.

Robert seemed like a very dangerous man - no one seemed to think he was capable of it and yet, it was one of the worst crime scenes NSW has ever seen. Got to feel for poor Brenda as well - her whole family is murdered by her Uncle - who then adopts her and continues to sexually assault her until he's arrested.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Listened to Jonestown last week too. Thought it was fascinating. I didn't know much about the story so part 3 was pretty full on.

East Area Rapist 5 part one is brilliant too.
Part 3 was really full on. After listening to part 1, I did some research so already knew about the end result but it was still difficult to listen to. Wasn't expecting to hear anything on the death tape either - that was a bit chilling.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Listened to the Honolulu Strangler case this morning.

How on earth the mechanic walked free until his death is staggering. Absolutely everything pointed to him and yet they couldn't get the evidence they needed to put him away. Even the fact that the killings stopped when he moved back to the mainland was proof enough really.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Part 3 was really full on. After listening to part 1, I did some research so already knew about the end result but it was still difficult to listen to. Wasn't expecting to hear anything on the death tape either - that was a bit chilling.
I like going in not knowing. Jennifer Pan was good that way too. Daniel Morecambe likewise. I knew the case, not the outcome.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bearing in mind that I haven't listened to them all and I listen out of sequence, these are my favourite episodes to date...

The East Area rapist
Jonestown
Mr. Cruel
Tina Watson
Jennifer Pan
The weepy voice killer
The Yorkshire Ripper
Port Arthur
The Frankston serial killer
Daniel Morcombe

Couldn’t listen to Jonestown. Something about squirting poison into children’s mouths is just too much for me. Just dont want to hear that tape ever again.

EAR was the best so far i think. Anyone know any of the Aussies who produce the podcast. They do a great job.

Another good podcast is the Unresolved podcast. Lots of aussie content as well. The Family murders is probably the best one. Bloody disturbing. Especially considering a few folks who were highly likey to be involved are still alive and free. Disgraceful.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Couldn’t listen to Jonestown. Something about squirting poison into children’s mouths is just too much for me. Just dont want to hear that tape ever again.

EAR was the best so far i think. Anyone know any of the Aussies who produce the podcast. They do a great job.

Another good podcast is the Unresolved podcast. Lots of aussie content as well. The Family murders is probably the best one. Bloody disturbing. Especially considering a few folks who were highly likey to be involved are still alive and free. Disgraceful.
Yeah Jonestown was really ****ed. I'm honestly surprised I'd never heard of that before the podcast. I still can't quite fathom how grown adults got so wrapped up in the rubbish he was feeding them.

Yeah Jonestown was really ******. I'm honestly surprised I'd never heard of that before the podcast. I still can't quite fathom how grown adults got so wrapped up in the rubbish he was feeding them.

Everyone knows the term ‘drinking the Kool Aid’ but few know the horrible context of the saying.

I guess like most cults it has a very charismatic leader who starts out normal and over time loses the plot but most people are so far in they dont see it...and if they do they keep quiet because they dont want to admit they were wrong or were silenced by the leader.

People’s behaviour can be quite unfathomable sometimes.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Everyone knows the term ‘drinking the Kool Aid’ but few know the horrible context of the saying.

I guess like most cults it has a very charismatic leader who starts out normal and over time loses the plot but most people are so far in they dont see it...and if they do they keep quiet because they dont want to admit they were wrong or were silenced by the leader.

People’s behaviour can be quite unfathomable sometimes.
Yeah I'd definitely heard the term before - I never really used the phrase but I certainly won't be moving forward, now that I know the origination of it.

Yeah guess it's easier seeing it from the outside. That 'death tape' was chilling. Not sure I'd listen to that again. Very eerie.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

How on earth the mechanic walked free until his death is staggering. Absolutely everything pointed to him and yet they couldn't get the evidence they needed to put him away. Even the fact that the killings stopped when he moved back to the mainland was proof enough really.
Listened to this yesterday. Baffling.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Having listened to each ep, I think the Sherri Rasmussen episode is the best one. It isn't too long and the final police interview is incredible.

I like them all but other than the above, my favourites would be

Daniel Morcombe
Lindsay Buziak - It was the ex and the mother, cmon ...
The Family Court Murders
Jennifer Pan
Amok
Tina Watson
Amy Lynn Bradley
Jonestown

I get why a lot of people rate the EAR one as the best, but I actually found that one to be a real struggle to get through. Not the horrific nature of the crimes, just that it was so long and detailed. It was hard work, especially when it becomes apparent that there would be no resolution.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Having listened to each ep, I think the Sherri Rasmussen episode is the best one. It isn't too long and the final police interview is incredible.

I like them all but other than the above, my favourites would be

Daniel Morcombe
Lindsay Buziak - It was the ex and the mother, cmon ...
The Family Court Murders
Jennifer Pan
Amok
Tina Watson
Amy Lynn Bradley
Jonestown

I get why a lot of people rate the EAR one as the best, but I actually found that one to be a real struggle to get through. Not the horrific nature of the crimes, just that it was so long and detailed. It was hard work, especially when it becomes apparent that there would be no resolution.
I enjoyed Tina Watson too. Can't believe he's a free man.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I enjoyed Tina Watson too. Can't believe he's a free man.

That was an odd one to me, I was a bit on the fence.

The motive of the crime felt very weak, the life insurance maybe? It seemed to be a very odd and elaborate way for someone to kill someone for such a small amount of money - but on the other hand, the husband's behaviour especially afterwards was so odd.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

What I have taken out of some of these cases, especially the older ones, is that as long as no one saw you do it ... and you don't say you did it - the cops basically have nothing.

Even walking into a police station and offering to show them where the body is, aint enough.

Obviously that is an exaggeration, but for example the Family Court murders - its as obvious to anyone who was responsible, but it took them 30 years to make an arrest.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Anyone listened to the Gary Patterson ep?

The father in law was a real piece of work. Ex CIA by all reports, they thought he was involved in the Berlin bombings in 86.

The other thing that stood out was how poorly all of the various departments worked together on that case. The WACO police, Texas Rangers, the FBI, a PI, the US Marshalls office, the Secret Service, the State Dept, Border Patrol, the govt of Honduras and Interpol were all involved. Way too many functions there, all with different motives.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone listened to the Gary Patterson ep?

The father in law was a real piece of work. Ex CIA by all reports, they thought he was involved in the Berlin bombings in 86.

The other thing that stood out was how poorly all of the various departments worked together on that case. The WACO police, Texas Rangers, the FBI, a PI, the US Marshalls office, the Secret Service, the State Dept, Border Patrol, the govt of Honduras and Interpol were all involved. Way too many functions there, all with different motives.

What jumped out to me was that you meet certain people in life that you might just write off as a bit of a bully or a peanut ... but you never really know what some people are capable of.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
What jumped out to me was that you meet certain people in life that you might just write off as a bit of a bully or a peanut ... but you never really know what some people are capable of.
Absolutely.

On that, I listened to the Black Widow one this morning. Wow that one was crazy. It's so easy in hindsight but it's incredible no one questioned her before she essentially dobbed herself in (inadvertently). Worth a listen.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/20/blanche-taylor-moore-remains-on-death-row-after-25/

Back