Casefile podcasts

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Listened to the Ella Tundra one this morning.

Holy hell was he a creep. There was definitely something wrong upstairs (specifically socially) but there was no excuse for what he did. Listening to his voice at the end...well he sounded bloody creepy! Very rushed and urgent.

Ella was right as well - had the police taken her more seriously at the time, there's a big chance they could have stopped him before he attacked Paige.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Listened to the Ella Tundra one this morning.

Holy hell was he a creep. There was definitely something wrong upstairs (specifically socially) but there was no excuse for what he did. Listening to his voice at the end...well he sounded bloody creepy! Very rushed and urgent.

Ella was right as well - had the police taken her more seriously at the time, there's a big chance they could have stopped him before he attacked Paige.

YouTubed his Countdown appearances last night and he was sure as hell creepy on there. Almost made it obvious he was rather odd.

freofc1994

All Australian
Sep 15, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Giants, Chelsea
Anyone listened to the Hoddle road one yet? Was surprised it hadn't been done already.

Haven't got to it yet myself but looking forward to it (as odd as that sounds).

Yeah, its the usual excellent quality. I'm not from Melbourne so I'm unaware as to the layout but as soon as there were reports of gun fire onto traffic I cant believe that the Police didn't close the road. Maybe it all happened to quickly

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone listened to the Hoddle road one yet? Was surprised it hadn't been done already.

Haven't got to it yet myself but looking forward to it (as odd as that sounds).

Personally it wasn't one of my favourites as the story is so well known. Its still like way better than pretty much any other podcast out there on any topic ...

I found Carly Ryan to be far more interesting.

As soon as the kid said, ill be overseas ... but can my Dad come to your party ...

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Personally it wasn't one of my favourites as the story is so well known. Its still like way better than pretty much any other podcast out there on any topic ...

I found Carly Ryan to be far more interesting.

As soon as the kid said, ill be overseas ... but can my Dad come to your party ...
I was the opposite. Found Hoddle Street very engaging and interesting and Carly Ryan much less so.

Ive listened to maybe 95% of these and I found the Carly Ryan one to be incredibly sad. Poor girl, poor mother and what a ******* oxygen thief that prick is. I dont wish ill-will on anyone but that campaigner can rot without care.

I went down the rabbit hole on that one and found what Derryn Hinch had said about the guy's son who was acquitted. Holy s**t did that change my perception of how much we has involved in the case.

I went down the rabbit hole on that one and found what Derryn Hinch had said about the guy's son who was acquitted. Holy s**t did that change my perception of how much we has involved in the case.

The things they can hide behind suppression orders and we have no clue there was so much more to the story we weren't allowed to know about. That turned my stomach.

Most cases and names of under 18s are suppressed. There is no grand conspiracy

Are they suppressed if they commit a serious crime? Don’t think they are.

I think the Prosecutors decided to settle on the old man to carry the can as he was a slam dunk case whereas the 17 year old was going to be much more work. That decision appears to have had some very serious and direct ramifications on the lives of many young women.

No conspiracy...just serious ass covering.

Most cases and names of under 18s are suppressed. There is no grand conspiracy

Is the son still protected under the original suppression order, cover has carried from the Ryan case when he committed the rapes after the age of 19yo?

For the three years they were in custody, both father and son had their names suppressed. The father was found guilty of ******* murder; the son was eventually acquitted. An Adelaide judge lifted the suppression order on the name and photographs of the father, but she continued a suppression order on the 19-year-old son, and it seemed like the media agreed to rewrite history. In all of the stories that appeared about this case you would think that the father acted alone at all times; his son was never in Adelaide with him; he was never at that beach; never knew what his father was up to; had never offended. The prosecution alleged that the then 14-year-old murder victim fell in love on the internet with a man she thought was a 20-year-old, guitar playing, Texas-born muso called Brandon Kane who lived with his adoptive father, in Melbourne.

The son's name remained and remains officially suppressed.

So what happened next? The son, who at least held ********* legs down while his father raped her, went on to commit rapes of 13 girls under the age of 16 in Melbourne. He targeted them and he stalked them, and for that he received only 35 months in jail—less than three years for all those brutal crimes, about 10 weeks a victim. I know these sentencing details only from police sources because the county court refused to give out any information on the serial rapist, because they said to one of my staffers, 'You're from Senator Hinch's office.' Supposedly, it is in the public's interest to hide this serial rapist's identity. That is why I am naming this scumbag. He does not deserve anonymity. He does not deserve a suppression order.

(I've replaced their names with 'the father' and 'the son' and it seems ridiculous but there it is)

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Is the son still protected under the original suppression order, cover has carried from the Ryan case when he committed the rapes after the age of 19yo?
Its an odd one. Its like not being able to mention previous convictions in case it prejudices.

I'm not sure. Someone more legally inclined could answer that

Back