2nds Casey Scorpions v Collingwood, 1pm Saturday @ Casey Fields (ABC TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

Warnock takes a great grab on the last line. Been very impressive today, but that's nothing unusual at this level!

Clever kick by Dunn to dish off to Maric.

Maric lining up for goal. He misses, but a 50m penalty was paid. Maric kicks truely from the goal line. His 3rd for the day

Bate has worked hard, Dunn has been oportunistic without really doing a lot, Blease has been good but is still a little short of getting a call up, Warnock very good, Cook fantastic and already looking too good for VFL - great dukes and lovely kick, although I don't like his ball drop! Maric has been good but seemed to fade in and out.

Petterd BOG, another really good game. Deserves a promotion and should replace the worst performing fwd or mid from tomorrows game next week imo.

McDonald has it imo. Will have an AFL career. Davis was solid in defence but didnt do anything much (that I saw), and Campbell seems to be coming along fitness wise, hopefully he can stay injury free.

Pretty lame report but those are my brief thoughts.

And the final siren goes - 22.10.142 to 15.10.100

Very good win by the Scorps.

Petterd BOG. Robbie Campbell very good in the ruck, but had some hamstring tightness in the second half. Cook presented very well as did Bate who got right up to the HB line.
Warnock solid in defence. Garland was ok, but just lacking a bit of touch. Maric good in the first half, but faded. I was also impressed by Fev who did quite a few good team things.

And on Dunn - probably one of the least influential 5 goal games I've seen, but he took every opportunity he had and made the most of it which is all you can ask for. He was probably playing as the 4th forward behind Fev, Bate, and Cook, so to end up with 5 was a good effort

My take:

Petterd - been covered, very clearly best on ground.

Dunn - was decent, kicked some nice long goals but apart from his goals he didn't get involved around the ground as much as we would like.

Bate - good involvement, made a couple of errors

Warnock - was excellent, marked everything he went for, spoilt everything he went for, decision making and kicking looks so much better in the VFL.

Maric - lively early then faded in the 2nd half, great footskills early.

Blease - seemed to be copping a bit of close attention in the first half and struggled accordingly, showed some fantastic speed, kicked an excellent goal on the run. He showed some good signs. His kicking was a bit hot and cold, as with virtually all players on the ground, very windy conditions.

Cook - took some great grabs, kicked the ball well, snapped well, presented well. Really good game, was one of the best.

McDonald - was good, took some nice marks, has assured footskills, suprisingly good at ground level for a big man. He even spent some time on the wing. Will get some opportunities.

Davis - was good defensively, was a little down though IMO, it was only his 3rd game of VFL footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And on Dunn - probably one of the least influential 5 goal games I've seen, but he took every opportunity he had and made the most of it which is all you can ask for. He was probably playing as the 4th forward behind Fev, Bate, and Cook, so to end up with 5 was a good effort

He's had quite a few games at AFL level where he's done nothing much except kick 3 or 4 goals. For a guy who isn't ever the main target thats a pretty good effort, not many players can manage an average game & kick 3 or more goals even when being the main forward.

He's a smart footballer & gets in the right places. It's when he doesn't kick goals & we don't win, he's often in the firing line, but I think thats why he seems to get a bit more of a chance than some guys because the coaching staff know a good 10 minutes from Dunn could be 3 goals.

He's had quite a few games at AFL level where he's done nothing much except kick 3 or 4 goals. For a guy who isn't ever the main target thats a pretty good effort, not many players can manage an average game & kick 3 or more goals even when being the main forward.

He's a smart footballer & gets in the right places. It's when he doesn't kick goals & we don't win, he's often in the firing line, but I think thats why he seems to get a bit more of a chance than some guys because the coaching staff know a good 10 minutes from Dunn could be 3 goals.

I agree completelty Chip.

My comments weren't meant to be a knock on him, but more showing how good he was when he got a chance. Probably came across the wrong way. Still think another week or two at Casey wouldn't hurt, obviously pending the form of the AFL team

Did anyone notice the rookies Lawrence and Johnston?
Lawrence didn't do much and got injured in the 3rd quarter. Johnston wasn't named in the side.

I was a bit disappointed, Casey had a real chance to belt a no name team but didn't have the killer instinct to do it.

With the exception of Petterd and Mohr the rest flashed in and out.

Depth in the midfield is a real problem for Casey ATM. In the end we just had too many options up forward while Collingwood had none.

Makes me nervous having so many players unable to get a run in the seniors.

Bate, Warnock, Dunn, Maric and Petterd are all entitled to think they may get more opportunities at another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back