2nds Casey Scorpions v Sandringham Sunday @ Casey Fields 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Cook (in the 2nds) didn't do much, but the delivery forward was sub standard & not suited to a marking forward...

There were 3-4 guys who clearly should be promoted next week depending on match ups required;

McDonald, big, strong marking key defender who took the game on & his delivery was very good. He kicked a great long goal on the run...

Jetta, hard nut who should of had 5 or 6 goals, but shared it around. Ball use very good, ready for a return to the side...

Blease, played the wing position, in the old fashion way. He did make a few mistakes but he took the game on & was running hard all day. We need outside players who can run hard & he fits the bill...

Nicholson, Never says never, sure his disposal lacks a bit of class, but he adds bite to centre square & around the ground stoppages that we need...

Depending on who our match committee think will line up for WC, Warnock should get a call up. I know he lacks disposal skills, but at the moment his confidence is up & WC is one of only a few teams that he has a good match up with (Lynch).

The left field call up is Lawrence, he tackles hard, has good disposal & knows where the goals are, something we sorely miss...

Disappointments,

Sylvia, he really just went through the motions. I heard today that it definitely was a discipline reason for his demotion...

Bennell, started well but drifted out of the game...

Maric, only just a game, he has so much ability, but only seems to want to display in short bursts...

Jurrah, gradually got in to the game more & his disposal was fantastic when he got it. When being the key word...

Morton, I'm unsure if I'm disappointed in his game as he controlled the outer midfield area & his disposal was much improved. I thought he was playing at Casey to show if he can toughen up a little, not much sign of that as he was on his own for most of the game...

The others were all servicable but nothing outstanding...

There seemed to be a slight change to the game plan today, less players inside & less 1/2 to 1 metre handballs out of packs, but more players on the outside to receive the ball 5 - 10 metres away, so they could actually clear the ball from the immediate area. It was great to see...

Great insight there DR, thanks for sharing.:thumbsu:

Starting to get warm fuzzies about Tom McDonald, he could really straighten us up next year.

AFAIK the only rookies who can play for MFC this year (unless things change) are Nicholson, Evans and Newton so Lawrence may have to wait for next year (could be wrong on this though).

Does Sylvia deserve to be brought back into the Dees next week based on today? sounds like a disappointing outing for him.

Every time that Morton plays VFL it's beyond obvious that he's a class above his opposition. Has no problems getting the ball and winning contests, it's just about what he can do himself. There are no issues regarding not being able to compete as he's obviously an elite talent, just has application and confidence problems.

There seemed to be a slight change to the game plan today, less players inside & less 1/2 to 1 metre handballs out of packs, but more players on the outside to receive the ball 5 - 10 metres away, so they could actually clear the ball from the immediate area. It was great to see...

Thanks for the insight DR... interested in this game plan bit in particular. I wonder if it was a Casey initiative, or a directive from the big wigs of Melbourne. Reason being, we were sorely lacking in any form of outside play on Saturday. Far too many players too close to the contest. And as much as the BigFooty crowd detests anyone resembling an outside player, they are a necessary part of the game (see: R. Flower). No point winning the hard ball if there's no-one to benefit from the tough work by using the ball well going forward.

Thanks Dave, I reckon it was a MFC directive, both Viney & CC were there, but just a guess...

In my opinion Sylvia should not be promoted next week, but I also believe Green should be dropped, so my opinion is probably way off the mark compared to the selection committee...

What I do know, is that Fev has really settled down & continues to encourage the young players, which I loved to see...

AFAIK the only rookies who can play for MFC this year (unless things change) are Nicholson, Evans and Newton so Lawrence may have to wait for next year (could be wrong on this though)..

I also could be wrong, but presumably with Strauss now out for the season, we could promote Lawrence.

I also could be wrong, but presumably with Strauss now out for the season, we could promote Lawrence.
It's definitely an option if they put Strauss on the LTI list for the 4 remaining games but I'm not sure if they will bother. There's a cost for rookie promotion in this scenario - not sure how much though - so it may not be worth it for 4 games.

Not sure what stage Strauss is projected to resume (too early to call) but you'd think they'd probably put him on the LTI list as of the start of next season if he's still a fair way off.

Evans had about 4 games mid year and then that was it, maybe get some more games into him instead if he puts his hand up.

Evans is out for the rest of the season, I believe.
oh, fair enough. Thanks for that. I wonder if you can replace a previously nominated/promoted rookie who gets an LTI of their own with another rookie without the extra cost.

Great insight there DR, thanks for sharing.:thumbsu:

Starting to get warm fuzzies about Tom McDonald, he could really straighten us up next year.

AFAIK the only rookies who can play for MFC this year (unless things change) are Nicholson, Evans and Newton so Lawrence may have to wait for next year (could be wrong on this though).

Does Sylvia deserve to be brought back into the Dees next week based on today? sounds like a disappointing outing for him.

Yep, Tom actually looks like a centre half back too. What we have been crying out for. His frame indicates he will put on the baulk as well. Much better option than Rivers or Garland.

Tom Mac and Frawley would hold down our backline for the future quite nicely. Really wana see Tom get a game this week, play him on Darling.

After reading DR's reports about Sylvia's disgusting game today, clearly he doesnt deserve to be brought back in.

I have heard similar reports to DR, Sylvia apparently was out late last Saturday night and on the piss. Rocked up Sunday in rather shabby shape. Not what the club needs going forward, trade bait for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Demonland; basically the only thing it's good for..

Some pleasing comments nonetheless.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

After Melbourne's week from hell and the less than satisfactory response of the Demons in their game against the Blues on Saturday, the spotlight was on the lads at Casey Fields. A leading performance from any of the 15 Melbourne listed players on show would enhance their prospects of gaining promotion into AFL ranks. Melon22 casts an eye on the Demons in the game and has mainly good news on how they fared.

Jamie Bennell - played mainly across the half line backline for most of the game and gave a good performance. His second efforts and his intensity at the contest were a highlight of his game. Has been a consistent performer for Casey since being dropped and is giving a better four quarter effort which should see him close to senior selection.

Sam Blease - played one of his best defensive games so far with some great attack on the ball and was a solid contributor for all four quarters. He still needs to clean up his game before he pushes for regular AFL spot but it is sometimes easy to forget that this is his first full year of AFL football. Some of his kicking and his tricks are a sight to behold. Blease is still a work in progress but it’s all heading in the right direction for Sammy.

Robert Campbell - pitted up against another AFL premiership in Michael Gardiner and probably just edged his opponent in a very competitive display.

Troy Davis – was part of a fantastic defence that was the backbone of the Casey win. Has been another very consistent performer for Casey since coming back from injury earlier in the season. He shows good anticipation, reads the play well and is surprisingly quick for such a solid kid. An outside chance to play AFL this year, he has the form and the body to play but with such strong competition for places in defence might have to bide his time.

Neville Jetta- put his case forward for senior selection with his now signature tackling; was clean with his disposal and a solid contributor. Managed to bag three goals, which should have been four after a missing an easy one late in the game.

Liam Jurrah - was good without being dominant, at times some of his team mates were a bit too eager to give him the ball and he was very closely watched by a nervous Sandy defence. He finished better than he started and will take some confidence from some of his work up while up the ground.

Jack Fitzpatrick - deserved his spot after kicking a bag for Casey reserves last week. Played as a ruck/forward and impressed as a key forward taking a couple of very nice contested marks. Jack is amazingly quick for such a big guy and having not seen him play in a while I was very pleased to see his development. He is now stronger and more confident than this time last year.

Kelvin Lawrence - extremely impressive as a small forward and played with a great intensity right until the final siren where he used his pace to create and to shut down the Sandy defenders. His defensive pressure was great and he played with a great appetite for the tackle which is a giant step forward for Kelvin. Ten tackles for the match was outstanding.

Addam Maric - very clean with his disposal and seemed to have learnt from some decision-making errors in the last couple of weeks. Might need to do more to push for senior selection.

Tom Mcdonald – played in defence and continues to impress, is a fantastic competitor who just contributes in whatever position he is played. Had another solid game; in the aerial contests he was rarely beaten and with the ball he was remarkably composed in traffic. Made a couple a turnovers coming out of defence in the last quarter which slightly marred another very good display.

Tom McNamara - fairly quiet but contributed with two very nice goals, one a pearler from outside 50m.

Cale Morton – played the entire game in the centre and played with a renewed confidence. Was outstanding in the clearances and showed the talent that we all know he has in a best on ground performance. He attacked the ball with a vigour that he has not shown in the last couple of months and it was great to see his disposal has dramatically improved with a return of confidence. Hopefully he can carry his form into the AFL where his run and disposal is a weapon.

Daniel Nicholson – played in the back pocket and was solid without being spectacular, gave drive out of defence and was good defensively.

Colin Sylvia – did a lot of the grunt work for Casey in the clearances but didn’t manage to influence the game as much as he would have wanted for an experienced AFL player. Kicked a nice goal in the last quarter on the run.

Matthew Warnock – the dominant player for Casey in the backline leading his opponent to the ball all day. Matty is the general of a very strong Casey backline and is a dominant player at VFL level, he hardly put a foot wrong in another faultless performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back