Cast your vote on our 2016 Hall of Fame Guernsey!

Remove this Banner Ad

Option 1 is incorrect. The Lions were originally known as "The Gorillas". The Lions did not make an appearance until around 1950's or 60's.

Remembering its a hybrid Micky. I think they are meaning its a combo of the 1916-1932 design but featuring a white version of the 'original' Lion that the club used on jumpers (ie. the Fitzroy Lion) which appeared on the breast of the jumper in the decades you suggested.

It hits on what I think is one of the most Cynical aspects of the current AFL business strategy.

In our game, Jumpers are important, they are almost sacrosanct. Unlike EPL or North American sports, or the NR: where jumpers change every year and clubs can sell new jumpers every year, our sport tends to celebrate the tradition of the jumper and the fact that they are the same for long periods.

What that means though is that there are very few 'actual' historical jumpers, so our historical jumpers tend to be 'inspired by' just so they can churn out another each year, add to that the plethora of others:

- Home jumper
- away jumper
- clash jumper
- Anzac
- Dreamtime
- Historical

I think it tends to cheapen the whole thing. Personally I'd drop the Anzac Jumper, and probably save the Historic Jumpers for a once every 5 year event to make it of some significance.

It hits on what I think is one of the most Cynical aspects of the current AFL business strategy.

In our game, Jumpers are important, they are almost sacrosanct. Unlike EPL or North American sports, or the NR: where jumpers change every year and clubs can sell new jumpers every year, our sport tends to celebrate the tradition of the jumper and the fact that they are the same for long periods.

What that means though is that there are very few 'actual' historical jumpers, so our historical jumpers tend to be 'inspired by' just so they can churn out another each year, add to that the plethora of others:

- Home jumper
- away jumper
- clash jumper
- Anzac
- Dreamtime
- Historical

I think it tends to cheapen the whole thing. Personally I'd drop the Anzac Jumper, and probably save the Historic Jumpers for a once every 5 year event to make it of some significance.

Actually most north american sports very rarely if ever change their guernseys and they are almost devoid of sponsorships.

Option 1 is incorrect. The Lions were originally known as "The Gorillas". The Lions did not make an appearance until around 1950's or 60's.

Fitzroy were originally known as the "Maroons".

A football guernsey always looks good with the FFC logo on it. However as it's a Brisbane Lions jumper I voted for 3. The FFC on the breast in Option 3 is a nice touch too. Ideally I'd like to see a gold FFC logo added to the breast of our red Victorian jumper as well.

Fitzroy were originally known as the "Maroons".

A football guernsey always looks good with the FFC logo on it. However as it's a Brisbane Lions jumper I voted for 3. The FFC on the breast in Option 3 is a nice touch too. Ideally I'd like to see a gold FFC logo added to the breast of our red Victorian jumper as well.
Precisely my thinking.

A guernsey with a gorilla on it would get my vote. Oh yes. :thumbsu:

Speaking of...

Who remembers that bloke from the Junction Oval days that used to get around in the gorilla suit with the number 41 (Lee Murnane) guernsey on?

Speaking of...
Who remembers that bloke from the Junction Oval days that used to get around in the gorilla suit with the number 41 (Lee Murnane) guernsey on?

It was ironic given Lee sported the Friar Tuck haircut. Hairy fan, not so hairy player.

Rip - was it you?

- Home jumper
- away jumper
- clash jumper
- Anzac
- Dreamtime
- Historical

You forgot 'Heritage Round' too ;)

I do agree with what you mean though - they're using these 'inspired by' versions as a license to print money by changing them every single year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victorian fans, maybe. I see nothing in here that is made for the Queensland based fans.

What part of "to commemorate FITZROY's 1916 Premiership" don't you understand ?

Victorian fans, maybe. I see nothing in here that is made for the Queensland based fans.
Sixty percent means either there are many more fans than thought in Victoria, or that Queensland fans are apathetic. ..the best design won either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back