Casual jobs/event jobs for a uni student?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone know of some places where I can get paid at a decent rate to do some casual/part-time work or work at events without significantly affecting my study?

I've currently got a job at a supermarket/liquor store but unfortunately they seem to have too many casuals in my age bracket after shifts at the times I want unlike when I started there two years ago and I seem to have fallen out of favour with my managers.

I've heard events especially can land you some good coin, and they would be handy if I was to keep my current job as it is right near my house and still is a bit of coin. I'm just unsure where to find these type of opportunities.

Anyone know of some places where I can get paid at a decent rate to do some casual/part-time work or work at events without significantly affecting my study?

I've currently got a job at a supermarket/liquor store but unfortunately they seem to have too many casuals in my age bracket after shifts at the times I want unlike when I started there two years ago and I seem to have fallen out of favour with my managers.

I've heard events especially can land you some good coin, and they would be handy if I was to keep my current job as it is right near my house and still is a bit of coin. I'm just unsure where to find these type of opportunities.
What are you studying?

Working as a bouncer is pretty good coin, and depending how desperate they are, you could just do a couple of nights a week.

Other than that, tutoring.
Tutor other uni students, or school kids. Ocher cards aren't that hard to get.

Cash in hand! Not that you wouldn't declare it to the ATO!

What are you studying?

Working as a bouncer is pretty good coin, and depending how desperate they are, you could just do a couple of nights a week.

Other than that, tutoring.
Tutor other uni students, or school kids. Ocher cards aren't that hard to get.

Cash in hand! Not that you wouldn't declare it to the ATO!
Business.

I'd hate being a bouncer, doubt they'd have much interest in a skinny bloke like me regardless.

Event jobs tend to be contracted out to a labour hire firm (at least where I've worked) so if you can find one of those you should be set. Fairly flexible work hours in that you choose the shifts you want, although the number of shifts varies a fair bit during the year (super busy over summer, and mid-year to an extent; quiet otherwise) and if the only ones available don't suit your schedule you won't be earning much. Also the way the one I worked for operated was it was first in best dressed as to who worked shifts. So if you um and ah about working for a bit all the spots for the job can get taken very quickly.

Coin is good for them though as shifts are generally long; worked for a LH company in Canberra at a mix of functions around town. Sometimes 13-14 hour shifts setting up; doing the event and packing down.

Business.

I'd hate being a bouncer, doubt they'd have much interest in a skinny bloke like me regardless.
A security licence isn't a bad investment. Annoying to get these days because it's a bit of a drawn out process but pretty handy if you're studying and wanting to pick up shifts on the weekend. Working stadium security can be a great job if you like watching sport :p There are many roles in a stadium for security not all require being a tough campaigner or getting hands on at all. Depending who you work for the pay rate can vary. With the company I work for they are paying new guards $25 an hour. PM me if you want more details. Good Luck.

Join army reserves. Money for jam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back