worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Isolation Blues are leading me to try gathering some random info. I'm trying to discover movies in which Australia is mentioned but the mention of Australia is not crucial to the plot. For example:

Educating Rita: Towards the end of the film Michael Caine tells Julie Walters he is being sent to Australia to teach due to his transgressions at the university.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: When they are trapped by the Bolivian Amy in the small barn, Butch suggests to Sundance that after they shoot their way out of trouble they should flee to Australia to make a new start.
Rain Man: the airport scene where Tom Cruise tells Dustin Hoffman that every airline has had a crash. Hoffman explains that Qantas has never crashed, where upon Cruise tells Hoffman they would have to travel to Australia to catch a Qantas plane, prompting Hoffman to rattle off a few facts about Oz.
Grease: At one point John Travolta is surprised to see Olivia Newton-John, claiming he thought she had gone back to Australia.

These are all casual mentions of Australia but the plot does not revolve around the mention of Australia. Obliviously some Australian films might reference Australia but I'm more interested in any non-Aussie films.

Last edited:

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Hustle makes mention of Australia in relation to Rebel Wilson. There might be more of her films where this happens as she seems to play Australians in her Hollywood films from what I have noticed.
I think The King's Speech has mention of Australia in relation to Geoffrey Rush's character.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Princess Bride - The battle of wits.

Westley:
You've made your decision, then?

Vizzini:
Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
On Wikipedia's "List of films set in Australia", they are listing Independence Day among them. I have not seen this film since it came out in 1996 but I do not recall any Australian references or connection with the film's plot? Is this one of Wikipedia's blunders?

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
On Wikipedia's "List of films set in Australia", they are listing Independence Day among them. I have not seen this film since it came out in 1996 but I do not recall any Australian references or connection with the film's plot? Is this one of Wikipedia's blunders?

Wasn’t Sydney shown being blown to s**t?

Wasn’t Sydney shown being blown to s**t?

It got stopped before it could take out Sydney

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond

It got stopped before it could take out Sydney

That’s a shame

Superman II Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor is happy for the 3 super villains to run Earth as long as he gets "Australia" as part of helping them find and destroy the "Son of Jor-El"

TigerCraig

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manly
The Hustle makes mention of Australia in relation to Rebel Wilson. There might be more of her films where this happens as she seems to play Australians in her Hollywood films from what I have noticed.
I think The King's Speech has mention of Australia in relation to Geoffrey Rush's character.
Geoffrey Rush's character was Australian

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Independence Day and similar movies have the opera house or harbour bridge getting crashed into/blown up.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
The Princess Bride - The battle of wits.

Westley:
You've made your decision, then?

Vizzini:
Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

was the first one that came to mind

Maybe not that casual but the flight in Inception where while he’s asleep everything happens goes to Sydney.
Watched it last week , it's Sydney to LA.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It just becomes too common once you've seen enough films. It tends to be used as a conceptual idea than an actual living breathing place, or maybe just somewhere random to fill out a backstory. Maybe some random like a long lost brother or ex or associate moved there a while back. Maybe it is advertised as a travel/immigration destination. Occasionally it is seen as a place of intellectual stupor and without culture. Or token disaster movie mention.

I'll just mention a few that instantly leap to mind:

The Sacrifice: bad, dumb Australia
The Seventh Continent: billboard Australia
How Green Was My Valley: Relo migrant-worker Australia

The first two might not be casual enough for you, but it is a superficial Australia which is more of a concept and something never even remotely visited.

Point break. 50 year storm happens only in Australia, bells beach.

edit: already mentioned, repartition for emphasis.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tarantino has a bit of a thing for Australia. From memory he’s mentioned it in a few films and Django has him playing an Aussie (with an awful accent) next to John Jarrat.

I am legend was on the other day, had a random reference to Australia developing a cure from memory (in a flashback scene).

Also MI2 (the real s**t one) has half the film set in sydney for no discernible reason at all.

Back