troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Peter Phelps was in 21 episodes of Baywatch at the time. Being an Aussie in Hollywood probably gave him a leg up when the producers of Point Break were looking for a surfie type Aussie for the final scene of PB.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Allegedly Robert Downey junior did an Aussie accent in Natural Born Killers. Allegedly.
One of the better Australian accents is by Donald Pleasence when he came to Australia to film Wake in Fright in 1971.

The best Australian accent by a genuine non-Australian I've heard in a film is Dev Patel in Lion - Patel was raised in London. It's pretty faultless.

This is a cool topic, as there are some decent ones I've heard lately, but as usual it's just Australia being dropped into dialogue randomly. It's hard to recall them.

In terms of film locations, the Matrix is obviously arguably our crowning glory, majority of it was filmed at Fox in Sydney and the Metropolis for all the action scenes is Sydney's CBD.

Star Wars Episode II and III were filmed at Fox in Sydney as well.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Not film.

But there's kangaroo's in streets of rage 3.

If we’re doing video games may I present Crash Bandicoot
IMG_3084.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I referred to The Hustle earlier in this thread. One of the lines of dialogue which mentions Australia is spoken by Anne Hathaway when she is putting on her German accent and talking to Alex Sharp about Rebel Wilson. She asks, "Penny? Is this Penny from Cootamundra, Australia?"

So not only a mention of Australia but also Bradman's birthplace.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The best Australian accent by a genuine non-Australian I've heard in a film is Dev Patel in Lion - Patel was raised in London. It's pretty faultless.

This is a cool topic, as there are some decent ones I've heard lately, but as usual it's just Australia being dropped into dialogue randomly. It's hard to recall them.

In terms of film locations, the Matrix is obviously arguably our crowning glory, majority of it was filmed at Fox in Sydney and the Metropolis for all the action scenes is Sydney's CBD.

Star Wars Episode II and III were filmed at Fox in Sydney as well.

Was watching the matrix a few days ago, there’s a commonwealth bank clearly visible in at least one scene.

Watching Kill Bill 2 right now and when Bill shows up for the wedding Beatrix mentions that he has been in Australia mining.

Tarantino’s obsession with Australia

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another one from Kill Bill 2. When Beatrix goes to see Esteban Vihaio he is reading a book called “the carracuns of Kurrajong” by author Jasmine Carracun. Jasmine Carracun was a production assistant from Kurrajong in NSW. The book is a made up prop to pay tribute to her.

I only noticed the book had a kangaroo on the cover so googled it and found this.

Feels pretty obscure

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Last scene of The Game (1997) - Christine (Deborah Kara Unger) tells Nicholas Van Orton (Michael Douglas) that she is heading to the airport as she has a minor role in a new game in Australia.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Greenaway's The Falls (1980) mentions multiple character trips to Australia:
1. the Hartileas B creator Anteo Fallaspy and his more recent wife Vyanine get a world trip study grant which includes Western Australia (she'd previously visited Ayers Rock)
2. the lady (who developed protuberant gristle above her elbows) researching ratites in the antipodes

Australia also gets a mention during the pre-VUE ornithology surveys:
3. one of the questions concerns the emu (answered by the lady who came to hibernate like a poorwill)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Watching an old black and white movie on the TV last night, I think it was called The Day the Earth Caught Fire, about some events causing the Earth's orbit to alter and have a course for the sun. When mentioning the strange weather events happening around the globe they mention what's going on in Perth in Australia.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Was watching the matrix a few days ago, there’s a commonwealth bank clearly visible in at least one scene.

Watching Kill Bill 2 right now and when Bill shows up for the wedding Beatrix mentions that he has been in Australia mining.

Tarantino’s obsession with Australia
Matrix was filmed in Sydney

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Day after Tomorrow, with Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal. A quote in the movie went along the lines, Australia has just recorded the worst typhoon of all time. I thought Australia had cyclones, then again there all the same

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Not technically a mention, but in the Mortal Kombat movie the character Kano is played with an Aussie accent (by a pommy actor), it's popularity caused the game makers who own the franchise to retcon the character as an Australian, when previously be wasnt.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Has there ever been a casual mention of Australia in a James Bond movie.

James Bond can’t be bother coming to Australia, obviously thinks we stir martinis
Never. I have an old Bond book that describes onemovie as him crossing the seven continents but that's not at all true, he's never been nor mentioned Australia to my knowledge.

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
F/X (1986) - Bryan Brown plays a special effects artist based in New York, his assistant cracks some joke about a certain effect for a B-Grade film that, "got him deported from Australia."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back