Casual mentions of Australia in films

Remove this Banner Ad

In Event Horizon Sam Neill speaks with his natural accent and plays an Australian doctor/astronaut. On the left shoulder of his uniform you can see an Australian flag with the Aboriginal flag occupying the place of the Union Jack. I'm not sure when pushes to change the Australian flag first became popular but this film is from 1997 and you would think Neill had a say in that particular flag design being part of his character's uniform.

In Event Horizon Sam Neill speaks with his natural accent and plays an Australian doctor/astronaut. On the left shoulder of his uniform you can see an Australian flag with the Aboriginal flag occupying the place of the Union Jack. I'm not sure when pushes to change the Australian flag first became popular but this film is from 1997 and you would think Neill had a say in that particular flag design being part of his character's uniform.

It's probably to do with the real possibility of Australia becoming a republic sometime in the future and around the time holding a referendum, which happened in 99. I do recall the Aboriginal flag and the Southern cross merge being a widely proposed new flag design at the time.

It certainly didn't go unnoticed when I saw the film in the cinema.

In Inside Man a hostage/suspect is being interrogated by the detectives. He’s asked where he’s from and says Armenia. Well not really he was from Brooklyn but his parents are Armenian. He then says he’s never been to Armenia, Albania or even Australia.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In Frost/Nixon, Michael Sheen as David Frost is seen hosting his tonight show in Australia as that is where he was when he heard about Nixon resigning. Kevin Bacon's character then makes reference to Frost being in Australia a few minutes later.

Dunno if this is correct, but i have a vague memory of Kristin Scott Thomas saying to Robert Redford in the Horse Whisperer that she couldnt sleep lately and had developed a liking for Australian Rules Football on Cable TV.

/have only seen it once, years ago when it was in the cinemas.

I saw Point Break original mentioned a few posts above. Point Break remake I believe they actually did use an Australian Beach in the movie. Unlike the original where it was made out to be at the end.

Prob been mentioned already as has Focus where Will Smith refers us as convicts ( they have Australian people here. They were shipped up there for a reason lmao )

Used to watch a movie when I was a kid called Tommy Tricker And The Stamp Traveller. Just had a look then, it's a Canadian movie. At one point in the movie the kids travel to Australia and there's a scene with a young Ernie Dingo.

At the end of The Game (1997) Deborah Unger, who was part of the set-up played on Michael Douglas, is preparing to leave on a plane. She tells Douglas, "We have a gig starting next week in Australia."
Douglas then asks, "You're gonna shear some more sheep?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Point Break original mentioned a few posts above. Point Break remake I believe they actually did use an Australian Beach in the movie. Unlike the original where it was made out to be at the end.

Prob been mentioned already as has Focus where Will Smith refers us as convicts ( they have Australian people here. They were shipped up there for a reason lmao )

I actually quite like the Point Break remake. It doesn’t have the appeal of the original but the stunts are amazing AAAAAAND the new Johnny Utah is an Aussie (Luke Bracey).

I actually quite like the Point Break remake. It doesn’t have the appeal of the original but the stunts are amazing AAAAAAND the new Johnny Utah is an Aussie (Luke Bracey).
Stunts are incredible, but the characters, heart, pop culture aren't there, and the cinematography does it's best to make it look bland.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The movie was made smack bang in the middle of his marriage to Nicole Kidman, so I’m guessing that had something to do with it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never noticed it. Cool.

I always get suprised when an aussie song turns up in a movie. Adventureland has "Dont dream its over" smack bang in the middle of their film.

Never noticed it. Cool.

I always get suprised when an aussie song turns up in a movie. Adventureland has "Dont dream its over" smack bang in the middle of their film.
Used prominently in Miami Vice TV series too, as was INXS and The Church.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Started watching Generation Kill and in first or second episode Godfather is listening to the bbc and they are broadcasting aus v india 2003 world cup match...

from reddit

We hear

India of course chasing that massive Australian total of 359. Already 1 wicket down, with just an over gone and 4 runs on the board. Sachin Tendulkar, India's talent man, caught and bowled [by] Glenn McGrath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back