Casual mentions of Australia in films

Remove this Banner Ad

In Greenland there's a shot of Sydney after the meteor strike.

Crocodile dundee - the crocodile that tries to eat the chick is an Australian crocodile.

the Dish. - think the dish is supposed to be in Australia.

the Claudia karvan film where she and this bloke swap bodies and then have sex with themselves - the bloke who’s now a chick mentions that this happens in australia all the time. The chick who is now a bloke says yep but only in Sydney.

romper stomper - this is filmed in Footscray and they rob Franco cozzos furniture shop.

australia - haven’t seen it but guessing there are atleast a few casual mentions. Has anyone actually seen this movie?

In Greenland there's a shot of Sydney after the meteor strike.

I had to confirm that Greenland was the title of a movie. Originally I was thinking how weird it was that Greenland would erect a giant photo of Sydney in their main CBD or wherever. Plus I couldn't remember Sydney being victim to a meteor strike in recent times.

I always thought it a bit odd that Elvis Costello sang Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport when he guest-starred on Frasier. Why did the producers of an American show get an Englishman to sing an Australian song?

In 'Dumb and Dumber' bumbling Harry and Lloyd are introduced to an attractive young woman and are told she is from Austria. Of course the two get it completely wrong and start talking to the girl in exaggerated and awful Aussie accents and reciting Australian slang at her. Needless to say, the refined young Austrian isn't impressed.

In 'Dumb and Dumber' bumbling Harry and Lloyd are introduced to an attractive young woman and are told she is from Austria. Of course the two get it completely wrong and start talking to the girl in exaggerated and awful Aussie accents and reciting Australian slang at her. Needless to say, the refined young Austrian isn't impressed.

I believe Lloyd was in that scene on his own- no Harry.

He was driving the Limo on way to pick up Lauren Holly?

Edit: post is not meant to be smart assey- and also thought this was the film trivia thread.

Last edited:
The first episode of Minder after Dennis Waterman left the series showed Arthur Daley knocking on the door where Terry lived and asking Terry to come and do a job for Arthur. There is no answer so Arthur tries to tempt Terry by slipping a ten-pound note under the door. A friend soon comes along and tells Arthur that Terry has moved to Australia, with Arthur then frantically trying to reach under the door and retrieve the ten quid.

Not Australia but our cousins in New Zealand. I recently watched the forgotten 2001 teen comedy 'Get Over It' for the first time in many years the other day, and one of the girls Dora - a hot but dimwitted and accident prone young woman - was a New Zealander. Actually young woman is most appropriate rather than girl to describe her, one of the jokes being the character still attending high school in her mid 20s having missed many years of school as a girl through a series of accidents and not being very bright.

At first I thought the actress playing her Kylie Bax was an American doing New Zealand accent, but Kylie Bax is from Thames, a town in the Waikato Region on New Zealand's North Island. However, while Dora didn't get that much screen time they never had her say a word like 'pig', 'fish', 'fridge' or 'six' in her dialogue which would have truly shown her to be a Kiwi. Those not familiar with Australian and New Zealand accents probably would have just taken her to be an Australian.

In an early episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm Jeff has a heart episode and is in hospital, and asks Larry David to go to the house and remove a stash of adult material, lest Susie should find it while he is undergoing surgery. Larry agrees but becomes distracted by one of the adult movies in the stash, noticing that the main star is an actor who had recently invited Larry and Cheryl to his house for a dinner party, this evening ending up in a total disaster as usual.

Larry, still in Jeff and Susie's house, immediately puts on the video to watch it, getting busted by Jeff's parents when they walk in with Susie. One of the adult actresses in the film has a particularly broad Australian accent, which stands out from the others who are all American.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not wrong but that is interesting coming from the dude who seems to love a racial slur more than anyone on the planet
You gotta watch tarnantino stoned.

One of the first directors to give a lead role to a black woman. Not a token jesture or part of cancel culture. Hes far from racist.

However the Bruce Lee scene in once upon a time in Hollywood dodgy, but also sarcastic, taking the Mickey out of brad Pitt characters

End scene in lethal weapon mel gibson uses his Australian accent.

Several 1960 ww2 pacific war movies mention brisbane and Perth. Have scenes meant to be there. And a few john Wayne ones. I think the movie based on jfks war service also mentions Australia ( pt 109).

You gotta watch tarnantino stoned.

One of the first directors to give a lead role to a black woman. Not a token jesture or part of cancel culture. Hes far from racist.

However the Bruce Lee scene in once upon a time in Hollywood dodgy, but also sarcastic, taking the Mickey out of brad Pitt characters
I didn’t say he was racist, just that he loves a racial slur.

The Lee scene was very clearly to show us that pitts character was an unreliable narrator, also don’t think it was racist, perhaps disrespectful to Lee but racist is a stretch.

I didn’t say he was racist, just that he loves a racial slur.

The Lee scene was very clearly to show us that pitts character was an unreliable narrator, also don’t think it was racist, perhaps disrespectful to Lee but racist is a stretch.

Who said it was racist?

Watched Cocktail for the first time recently.

No mentions of Australia at all, which seems odd as one of the main characters is clearly Australian.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

In the movie 'Last Night In Soho' lead character Ellie gets a job in a London pub, where her boss is an Irish lady played by Pauline McLynn, best known as Mrs. Doyle from 'Father Ted'. There are a variety of beers on tap in the bar, but one that stands out prominently is a tap that has the very distinct Fosters logo.

Watched Cocktail for the first time recently.

No mentions of Australia at all, which seems odd as one of the main characters is clearly Australian.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I thought there was a brief mention of Bryan Brown's character's background???
Must be tripping.

Another weird Aussie character was Three Billboards- Woody Harrelson's wife, she had an Aussie accent, yet pretty bizarre scenario when you think about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back