Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
Hi Turbocat

Kingy here. I'm driving most of the content on krockfootball.com.au as the only member of the K rock Football team who is actually "on staff".

It's been a busy week with Round 1 etc, and I just haven't had the chance to post.

Apologies

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi Turbocat

Kingy here. I'm driving most of the content on krockfootball.com.au as the only member of the K rock Football team who is actually "on staff".

It's been a busy week with Round 1 etc, and I just haven't had the chance to post.

Apologies

No probs Tom... Just listened to it ... Nice comments on the girls.. .. thanks for the post..

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
For those looking for a link

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/cat-attack-podcasts/

March 19 is this weeks effort.

Go Catters

Gee Daz sounds like the Krock guys want you on for some special comments .... astute footy mind is spot on .. ;).

I think there is something to be said for player like Atkins ..not only in style ..there is something to be said about drafting the matures that have not had the rollroyce path to being on an afl list. Atkins and others that have done it tougher .. seem to be more willing to give it all. Never forget Rooke was a Rookie

Gee Daz sounds like the Krock guys want you on for some special comments .... astute footy mind is spot on .. ;).

I think there is something to be said for player like Atkins ..not only in style ..there is something to be said about drafting the matures that have not had the rollroyce path to being on an afl list. Atkins and others that have done it tougher .. seem to be more willing to give it all. Never forget Rooke was a Rookie

The desire is often not enough but every once and a while the drive pushes them over the lack of talent limit and they make it stick.
Rooke, Brynes, Stokesy, Stewart and even Ruggles showed it.

Atkins to me has that defensive edge and Rooke like sheer bloody mindedness to not be beaten in a contest. Saw it in VFL and in JLT. Really hope he can carry it on - and with Scooter an unknown at best...the role is open for his taking.

GO Catters

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
The desire is often not enough but every once and a while the drive pushes them over the lack of talent limit and they make it stick.

Atkins to me has that defensive edge and Rooke like sheer bloody mindedness to not be beaten in a contest. Saw it in VFL and in JLT. Really hope he can carry it on - and with Scooter an unknown at best...the role is open for his taking.

GO Catters
Would be nice if Atkins can get to that level.
Looking forward to seeing what he offers in the real stuff.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

GO Catters

Yes true ..
but just to take the other side for a second... its not much between being good and very good.

I look at side like Carlton last night or Gold Coast etc.. and just like desire ..some times talent is just not enough. There is something in the confidence and belief part of the brain that can take someone to the next level.

I was watching a bit of fox classic 2005 cats V Pies.. and apart from the odd player ..there was a heap of the era players in that side. That was the "I see but I dont believe it" year so were were a good side then ..yet we had players like Kent K and Tenace and David Johnson in it...not to mention Riccarrdi looked like he was still one of our better players. ..an in amongst them were champions yet raise their hand..Gazza with hair , Mackie playing futher forward than I remember and actually kicking a nimble goal , Mooney and Scarllo and Chappy and Dasher and Boris and the pill in the ruck. One could see that it would not have taken much for these guys to have gone down as good players but really nothing super special. Somehow we managed to harness desire on to this group of talented players to take them to the land of plenty. Sometimes you're talented get given a chance sometime you are desperate make your own luck

Will Atkins become Rooke..I highly doubt it..not many ..if any can. ..but if he can become a small pressure defensive minded version of Pods.. a guy who just wants his chance to show that he is capable ..then we may have found yet another VFL gold nugget.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes true ..
but just to take the other side for a second... its not much between being good and very good.

I look at side like Carlton last night or Gold Coast etc.. and just like desire ..some times talent is just not enough. There is something in the confidence and belief part of the brain that can take someone to the next level.

I was watching a bit of fox classic 2005 cats V Pies.. and apart from the odd player ..there was a heap of the era players in that side. That was the "I see but I dont believe it" year so were were a good side then ..yet we had players like Kent K and Tenace and David Johnson in it...not to mention Riccarrdi looked like he was still one of our better players. ..an in amongst them were champions yet raise their hand..Gazza with hair , Mackie playing futher forward than I remember and actually kicking a nimble goal , Mooney and Scarllo and Chappy and Dasher and Boris and the pill in the ruck. One could see that it would not have taken much for these guys to have gone down as good players but really nothing super special. Somehow we managed to harness desire on to this group of talented players to take them to the land of plenty.Sometimes you're talented get given a chance sometime you are desperate make your own luck

Will Atkins become Rooke..I highly doubt it..not many ..if any can. ..but if he can become a small pressure defensive minded version of Pods.. a guy who just wants his chance to show that he is capable ..then we may have found yet another VFL gold nugget.
Wise words, but not many of us thought J. Rooke would become M. Rooke.
And look at Stewart. Many thought he should have stayed in the VFL...

Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hi all,

Feel free to pose your questions by 4pm Tuesday for this week's recording of the Cat Attack Podcast.

cheers

Kingy

Gents...

A great call and win on the weekend. Lots to improve on still for us however. I reckon a decent amount of ointment and lubricant was applied to the vocal chords at the conclusion of that one - Benny loves a good vocal ointment.

With the Demons coming this week and seeing how Gawn looked a bit comprimised this week after getting a bit of a physical working over, do we bring in Rabbit with Stanley to work him over and drop a very unlucky Sav - or do we go unchanged and hope that Sav and Stanley work Gawn over. Personally, I dont see Gawn having 2 bad games in a row but thats just me.
Seems as though mainstream media has posted about the same issue- so now big max will be all fired up. Look out

Also, please sign the best wishes book for Scooter as you leave - Atkins has him covered by the length of time between London Fog Starts....( sorry Benny) I cant see how he gets back in if Atkins does that every week. And with Scooter being 6 weeks out, Tommy has the time to have a bad game or two and get back into the groove. The effort was 110% from him all game long and he saw it out - and it was a pretty frenetic albeit low skilled/sloppy game

GO Catters

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Guys ... it would seem to me that the amount of younger players we have now added to the side that its almost ties into the signing of CS out to 2022 ... Maybe with the knowledge we will have to be more aggressive with list turn over they decided to give him extra time to reset the side. 1 week only but was impressed with the young players against Collingwood.

But just how long can these young players keep out player like Guthrie , Henderson and Bews when they are fit and in form in the VFL?

The standout player on Fri night was Tim Kelly..and this immediately brought up the same sort of issues that has been mentioned since day 1 for him.
My question is... just how hard do we go to keep him ..do we cash in our chips.. and offer him a huge contract 800+ etc.. something WC could not match.

or

If we can not get TimK to sign then perhaps ... given our current perceived penchant for fresh faced youth.. should we do the deal for the best picks we can get and take them to draft and perhaps try to trade/fa for an immediate replacement of the 25 year old mid considering Kelly is almost our best mid and obviously it would hurt if we lost him. For example ... geelong was mentioned as a possible destination for Darcy Parish... 22this year would seem a good add if they could arrange it

Last edited:

CoolCat75

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
In hindsight, do you think trading in Henderson for pick 17 is was the correct move? He has been a servicable player, but we brought him in when we already had Taylor, Lonnergan and now Taylor, Blicavs and & Kolodjashnij as key backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
In hindsight, do you think trading in Henderson for pick 17 is was the correct move? He has been a servicable player, but we brought him in when we already had Taylor, Lonnergan and now Taylor, Blicavs and & Kolodjashnij as key backs.

FYI .. that pick ended up being used to draft Jarrod Berry. Henderson has splayed 48 games for Geelong

Previous Recent History

2013 P16 Lang 44 games for Geelong
2012 P16 Thurlow 46 games for Geelong

Last edited:

To be fair Blitz was not playing as a defender when Hendo came to us. Ruck and MF yes.... defender no so its bit hard to include Blitz as a factor back then and say the club erred in getting Hendo as a defender at that time.

Go Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
To be fair Blitz was not playing as a defender when Hendo came to us. Ruck and MF yes.... defender no so its bit hard to include Blitz as a factor back then and say the club erred in getting Hendo as a defender at that time.

Go Catters

To be fair Daz.. at his height plenty said Blitz should have been develop as KPP much earlier but we just would not make the call..he was needed elsewhere.

imo , Its a fair but tough question. I maintained at the time and do now that a ready to play KPP is probably worth that but 50 odd games makes it barely a pass.

My gripe , even at the time..is Henderson should have been FA.. if the rules counted all years a player has been in the system.. which is where the system is heading. Henderson as FA would be looked on in differnt light.

To add , Henderson rather than a KPF / KPD it looks like he is mainly a KPD ... and depending on the year you can draft a young KPD for that pick... look at Sam Taylor at GWS P28 for example. On top of that we delisted Hamling in 2014.. then 12 months later we bring in Henderson.

I think LH represents our bias towards the "now" when we brought in that group ..Danger etc.

Sorry Ben and Kingy.. your thread and topic to answer..

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Something that I think could be worth revisiting through the year, but who do you think has the hardest job in the team?

My current pick is Rohan, for reasons I've outlined elsewhere - basically not being a key position player, but also not having the midfield aspect to his game that lets guys like Dahlhaus, Atkins and Miers stay involved further up the ground.

This week though I think it would be pretty easy to make the case that Stanley's opponent means he'll be up against it most.

Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hi all,

We will be recording at 4:15 Tuesday afternoon - fire in your questions before then (if you have any).

cheers

Kingy

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
There’s been a lot of talk about the new players coming in and the changes to focus on pressure. But It also seems players know their roles a lot better this season and the coaches are picking the best player for a position rather than picking players and trying to fit them into a spot on the ground. I understand it’s a long season and we will want a squad of players capable of playing in the team. But do you think the coaches will hold their nerve and pick the best team rather than the best players? It might mean some experienced players end up playing a fair bit of vfl.

Tinlids

Wojo appreciation society
Mar 22, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Kingy,

Would love to know your thoughts on Cam Guthrie and his future on the senior list. Who could you see him displacing from the current side and what role would he play or do you think the future may be vfl / possible trade.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back