BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
We have pushed back the recording of the Cat Attack Podcast for this week - Kingy thinks the weather in Brisbane is better for a few days.

Fire your questions through by 4pm Thursday
It's a bit early to be spying on the Brions. We don't play them until round 22.

Question for this week: What did you think of Zach Guthrie's game and should he get another shot at senior footy? The Internet says "no he shouldn't."

catters_28

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi guys,

I was just wanting to know your thoughts on how Quinton Narkle is tracking in the VFL this year? I wasn’t able to see the VFL game Sunday but I’ve heard reports that he has been a bit out of form and almost looking a bit disinterested this season.

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
4 to 4 ? Has to be some others but we probably need to go back a bit.. I dont think it was Chappy to Danger was it ?
The 44 one is a bit unique similar role , similar size ..its like someone mandated 44 is HBF ..bit like the old days when 23 was the FF..

Jarrad Jansen had 35.

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Cat Attack Podcast is recording from 4pm Tuesday.

Feel free to fire any questions you think Cas and/or Kingy can answer here.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Guys...

I read thru the week the Geelong forwardline referred to as "The Wolfpack" in a Dahlhaus article in the daily Hun... but has the hunt mindset taken Gary Ablett to the edge of being suspended twice in the last two weeks. He has been lucky that he did not inflicted damage or he would have altered and tarnished his reputation. He has shown what he is good at in recent weeks..he finishes like no one else in the side.. .. has he taken this wolfpack mindset too far in an attempt to counter criticisms of him being shy of contact in recent years? I don't think he did this head high stuff when he was younger. Or is he just not a good defensive player with poor application of defensive skills?

The backline of geelong has looked fantastic this year , so combined and layered they protect each other and make the whole stronger etc.. yet when Stewart went off the ground V North ..was it a coincidence that suddenly we looked far less laminated and Blitz certainly looked less than what he has been? Is Stewart the key to our backline?

Last edited:
Team - great work on the weekend.
The back 6 structure - Is Tom Stewart the tent pole holding it all together?

When he went off for the concussion 20 mins - which was actually longer I think - Brown seemed to get off the leash and kick about 4 goals.
Did the loss of Stewart expose Blitz to the Brown 1on1 and reveal a genuine weakness - or was it simply a case of the North Mids getting better ball from the centre and Blitz not being able to defend the better delivery with the lack of Geelong mids defenisve pressure at the time.

It seemed to stablise when Stewart returned.... Weakness or Coincidence?

GO Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Team - great work on the weekend.
The back 6 structure - Is Tom Stewart the tent pole holding it all together?

When he went off for the concussion 20 mins - which was actually longer I think - Brown seemed to get off the leash and kick about 4 goals.
Did the loss of Stewart expose Blitz to the Brown 1on1 and reveal a genuine weakness - or was it simply a case of the North Mids getting better ball from the centre and Blitz not being able to defend the better delivery with the lack of Geelong mids defenisve pressure at the time.

It seemed to stablise when Stewart returned.... Weakness or Coincidence?

GO Catters

You and I think similar things .. and then later on after my post I saw on fox.. The Couch .. the mentioned North scored 6 or 11 goals with TS off the ground. I suspect other clubs will be focusing on shutting him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gents:

On Tommy Stewart -(a question for Benny the like that Hydro would pose) has their ever been a succession of a number being passed on where the new wearer has lived up to the quality and expectations set by the predecessor.
EG - Boris #44 - Tommy Stewart #44.

Im the biggest Boris fan but the blow of his retirement from the game has been softened (not diminishing what Boris achieved in ANY way) by the reliability and week in week out performance of Tommy. A remarkable 50 odd games - Fair hanger too!

And a follow up - Did Darcy Fort and Rabbit seal Zac Smith's fate at seasons end. With Zac OOC and Stanley clear #1, Sav getting regular games as a back up KPF and Fort and Rabbit showing enough flashes to be solid depth in their own right - Zac surely is without a chair when the music stops. Thoughts?

GO Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Guys ....

As good as the win was in the end v the Dogs our mid group at times was given a good shellacking in the centre. The Dogs mids seemed to have us covered at times ,Bont, Macrare and Smith was very impressive I thought and they scored more than a team usually does against us at KP. The drop from form of Chook Constable and and the no show of Axe Atkins , did we at times start to get a sniff of the Falls Creek Midfield again...? Really it was our accurate kicking as much as anything that was decisive in the win.

Obviously... Danger was not 100% fit so some sort of free pass is probably fair.. Perhaps we got a glimpse of how influential and important Stanley is.
I have to wonder that as the season gos on ... if Danger is off and Joels best is behind him .. is the 2nd level our mids group capable of stepping up? Guthrie is like a CIA agent who has spent his life in the shadows of those with real power.. you have to wonder if he can go up to the next level. Waiting waiting.....

As good as Forts 3 goals were , and as impressed as Tim McG was and I think we would all agree he perfromed to a much better standard than JLT .. imo he didnt really mark the ball strongly enough to threaten Savs position and the Dogs backline is hardly the best in the afl... Does Fort hold his spot this week? Buzza kicked 5 in the VFL does he get a shot this week .. taking the QLD boy back to his home state?

Just a quick one ..listening to your broadcast in Q1 ..it was like you still had the delay botton on as you were several seconds behind action?
It was fine by Q2? I was forced to listen to Mediocre Mongel Meatheads for the first quarter Grrrr.

Last edited:

Pumpernickel

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2015
Ready to be grilled and smacked with beetroot dip.
AFL Club
Geelong
Is there a quieter group of supporters in the League? Considering 31000 were in the house, Geelong home games (especially in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs) seem more interested in just watching without really giving whimper. Obviously the noise comes from a goal, nice play, bad umpiring decision or opposition player angst but generally i would guess we have the quietest supporters in the league. I couldn't believe the amount of Geelong supporters leaving before the final bell against the dogs, it was like we were down by 10 goals.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Hey guys, Playing Clark on the wing, is this more on for developing his game as a player? Or is it as they don't have a position in defence for him as the players like Tuhoy has come back in the side ( have to say he looks far more at home playing in defence then he does on the wing )

Has our defensive structure been worked out? Dogs short entries seemed to be finding targets a little easy and the last two weeks we've conceded an average of 84.5 against sides we wouldn't expect to be playing in September.

Was Lachie Fogarty playing a different role this week in the VFL? 27 disposals and 12 clearances on apparently limited minutes against NM then this week 15 tackles and 13 possessions says something has changed. Is he looking like he wants C Guthries spot or Tom Atkins? Whose role in the senior side is Sam Simpson gunning for?

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cat Attack Podcast this week is recording at 4:15pm, Tuesday.

Feel free to fire any questions at Cas & Kingy

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I loved the team from the GWS/Melb game kept me entertained through a fairly boring game so thanks for that.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Would love some thoughts on Tarca/Brownless etc and how they are tracking thanks in advance

Gents

Fine work from the Mayor of Hiroshima club members - this being a nod in deference to Benny for his slick working of one of the oldest "WTF was that " lines into the call and promptly taking Kingy out of the call with laughter for a good 20 seconds - perfect synergy in the box you 2 blokes - makes it a must listen each week.
To the real stuff -

The quality of Atkins work in the 1% department and things that dont necessarily get listed for stats is immense IMO.
His ability to block for a team mate, pressure the opposition, knock the ball forward or to advantage of a team mate, evade the opposition when in possession and deliver the ball under pressure is great.

The delivery of this kind of form from a rookie list player in Yr 1 is almost unparalleled in my memory - can you think of a Rookie 1st year player than has come in year 1 and had this kind of impact??

Best I could do was Blitz, JPod and Mummy but they didnt have that kind of results in year 1 but all were Rookies.

His attributes remind of a mix of Trav Varcoe in the skills, 1%ers and pressure - and Max Rooke in the intensity.

Go Catters

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The modern game seems to be stat centric ... pre occupied with... inside outside hardball metres run with clanger clearance turnover tackles contested marks and assists.. and on and on...

For me when I look at a game .. I like Score Events.. 9.11 to 7.13 ... ie 20 SE each. The game is obviously close.. maybe conversion is the difference between sides etc.

Which stats would you guys call the KKPI... the Krock Key Performace Indicators.. ? And which do you feel are overrated?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back