Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Highlight of my commutes.

Definitely not a one week at a time question:
Sitting at 9-1 after round 10, with the highest points scored, lowest score against, the fewest turnovers, the highest goal kicking accuracy, the highest efficiency inside 50, and having earned those stats through the hardest part of their draw, the cats are rightfully looking fairly respectable.
Every team has a weakness however. We sit 8th for overall disposals, 10th for clearances, 12th for inside 50s. Is there any narrative there for a way to beat the cats? Would a side like Port where they are #1 for contested possessions, #1 for clearances, #1 for inside 50s, maybe have the number #1 headache waiting for the #1 team at their home ground after the bye?

Not cats related but:
Is Stewy Dew coach of the year? The suns playing style looks messy, with every suns player hanging off a direct opponent and denying space to structures, but that has robbed better opponents of their game plan. There are numerous afl sides with more talent and experience than the suns, but has he been more effective at building a group that can withstand onslaughts from far superior teams and build belief? Alternatively, is it better to lose badly having tried to pull off a game style that will gain more wins later in careers when executed better?

Gents -
Great call again

Is it fair to suggest that Blitz may be the most underrated backman in the game?
He has taken scalps pretty much every week - but not only takes his own player but is so good at working over the ground he’s playing the ultimate team defense as well
He covers so much ground both quickly and over the duration of the game that he is almost worth 2 defenders at times.

Should we be looking at other elite runners that have an interest in footy or would lightning not strike twice!

Go Catters

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of Cat Attack Podcast this week. Schedules between Benny and I didn't marry up to record.

Back to normal next week

Regards

Kingy

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of Cat Attack Podcast this week. Schedules between Benny and I didn't marry up to record.

Back to normal next week

Regards

Kingy
All good... took the bye week early!!!

GO Catters

Hi all,

Back to normal next week

Regards

Kingy
And lets be honest mate.. there is only 1 person strong enough to marry up to Benny...

The lovely Mrs Cass LOL

And kind regards to Maryanne.

GO Catters

We're back after being managed last week.

Fire through your questions for Cas & Kingy by 10am Tuesday.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of questions for the dynamic St Joeys duo :):eek: from the Gov.

It is only June and I have 3 questions:

1) With KROCK's Shaun Higgins' future at North been in doubt at the EOY, will the Cats seriously consider looking at recruiting Shaun Higgins?
2) What are Benny's thoughts on the Cats making a play for Stephen Coniglio? Can a 3 way deal get done Kelly to a WA club; Coniglio to the Cats and a WA club giving the Giants one of their top draft picks?
3) Can young Sav become our version of Nic Nat as a full time ruckman or will he be developed as a key forward and pinch in ruckman?

The Gov.

Last edited:
Gents -
Great call again

A 2 parter this week -No bye week for us question makers !

1 -

Is it fair to suggest that Blitz may be the most underrated backman in the game?
He has taken scalps pretty much every week - but he not only takes his own player but is so good at working over the ground he’s playing the ultimate team defense as well
He covers so much ground both quickly and over the duration of the game that he is almost worth 2 defenders at times.

Should we be looking at other elite runners that have an interest in footy or would lightning not strike twice!

2 -

Can we start the campaign now for Stephen Wells entry into the AFL HOF.

This bloke has taken his niche of the game by the proverbial short and curlies and relentlessly pulled it like no other in the history and made it his own world.
Cricket commentary had Alan McGilvray and later Riche Benaud, Racing has had Phar Lap, Black Caviar and Winx ( No Fog sorry Benny), Tennis has had Federer and List Management has Stephen Wells. Its not an exact science and there have been misses along the way - but his ability to turn outside of the rated players in the Top 10 and find pure 150 to 200 game players and thus enabled the club the tools to be competitive in the face of all the handicapping thrown at him to make his job harder is just remarkable. I'll get the banner company started on signage now.

Go Catters

Gents .. umpires have a dificult job and are often given the verbal King Edward red hot poker treatment from media and spectator ... In fairness , judgement calls on holding the ball or whatever is always going to be difficult and inconsistent . Its a decision and an opinion...but not all calls from umpire are opinion. Umpires are consistantly poor at adjudicating distance.

A ball has to travel 15M before a mark can be taken... and if I was generous there are a lot of marks paid that are barely 15 .. often less than 15M are paid..

yet

When a player runs with the ball he has to bounce the ball every 15 M... and we see players running often 20-25 M and not being called fora travel. Think of the 50 M circle it would require 2 bounces to transverse that distance ..but its rarely if ever called.

Basically an umpire thinks 15M for a mark is not the same as 15M for a run between bounces.

Distance is not arbitrary..its a measurable defined length between two points. Are umpires just poor at distance acuity or are they instructed by umpires coaching etc to ignore a pedantic adherence to the rule book?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gents, you frequently talk about getting nude on the show. Will you actually do it this time? The win deserves more than the usual display of pimply flesh.

Congrats on the sponsorship from Kerr's Hire. Nice 'refresh' on the opening theme too (it did need it!).

Extra long podcast...extra time to wallow in the afterglow of a great win. :D
That opening theme was just crying out for the refresh I agree, the contrast in quality between the song playing on its own at the start and the rest of the pod was just jarring! Luckily the content of the pod itself made up for that. ;)

Gents -
Great call again

A 2 parter this week -No bye week for us question makers !

1 -

He has taken scalps pretty much every week - but he not only takes his own player but is so good at working over the ground he’s playing the ultimate team defense as well

2 -

Can we start the campaign now for Stephen Wells entry into the AFL HOF.

This bloke has taken his niche of the game by the proverbial short and curlies and relentlessly pulled it like no other in the history and made it his own world.
Cricket commentary had Alan McGilvray and later Riche Benaud, Racing has had Phar Lap, Black Caviar and Winx ( No Fog sorry Benny), Tennis has had Federer and List Management has Stephen Wells. Its not an exact science and there have been misses along the way - but his ability to turn outside of the rated players in the Top 10 and find pure 150 to 200 game players and thus enabled the club the tools to be competitive in the face of all the handicapping thrown at him to make his job harder is just remarkable. I'll get the banner company started on signage now.

Go Catters

You are the golden child Daz .. I reckon your question/post is twice the length of mine yet mine was the "war and peace" LOL ...

Its an interesting suggestion on Hall of Fame If we have Journos and coaches and who knows who else in it why would it not extend to people like Cook and Wells.

Cook for instance has been at two clubs for ..30 years? and in that time has made huge in roads for both clubs.. he may have ben just a good average VFL player but as a admin person in geelongs history... he probably could be put along side of Brownlow (especially if we win another flag).

And Wells , probably a tad more difficult I guess how much credit he gets for other work. He seem to be like the lead rider in the Tour De France ... the comment made by the guys on intereste players re Selwood I found very interesting.. considering .. how many non Vics we have taken from ther the last 2-3 years. How much influence did he exert with Kelly and Clark and Parfitt etc.

The criteria for Legend is far tighter as shown by the Lou Richards thing but the hall of fame is a big room ...

To C and K ...

On march 24 ... I asked this about Tim Kelly for your podcast

"... just how hard do we go to keep him ..do we cash in our chips.. and offer him a huge contract 800+ etc.. "

at that time the idea was not really received with much enthusiasm by either of you..... yet this week we now read Geelong have offered TKelly a 800 K contract to try to get him to stay another year..

Are you for or against this offer ... or should we just let him go and take two R1 picks that we may get? Or perhaps a player and a pick.

Remembering.... that R1 picks can have a wide range in value from P1 to P18 or even later .. and the drafts vary from year to year. If he goes to West Coast its doubtful we get a top10 pick imo and Geelong history of late R1 picks is nothing special. All we ended up from the ablett picks was windburn (smedts and caddy)

Looking at the draft this year it does not look as strong as last year .. Clark may have been top 5-10 this year for example.

Last edited:
Couple of BigFooty rumours surfaced this past week, that COULD be indications Kelly will be staying.
- Kelly and family have bought a property in the Geelong area that they are moving in to.
- Geelong is now out of the Coniglio race.

Can the KROCK team of Investigative Journalists go through the club's rubbish bins and/or contact their 'Deep Throat' sources at the club, to see if they can confirm these rumours? :)

Hi all,

Cas, Kingy and an old favourite (no, not dazbroncos) are recording from 4:15pm Tuesday.

Fire your questions at us by then

Bugger... I had such high hopes too..!!
maybe later in the year...- keep my headphones handy!

Tim Kelly time -

Seeing Ben-wah Cass goes 1/2 empty as more the realist and Kingy 1/2 full - where does team KROCK sit on his trade value.

Given Benny has him a lock for Carji, and he's leading AFLPA and Coaches awards currently (ignore Brownlow for now) what does his value truly become.

We knocked back 2 x Rd 2 last year.

Regardless of destination, where does it sit? Gerard Healy went for 2 x Top 10 Rd 1 picks.
I had thought as an example 1 x top 10, 1 x high Rd2 and say Brander (KPF) from WC or Darcy (Ruck) from Freo.

Any thoughts?

And a quicky - who was the change in the Fitness dept at the end of the last season. We got a new bloke in. We are running out games on top top of the grass and whilst everyone else has gotten praise this year - some needs to land here as we are strength and conditioning is really working for us now.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back