Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two questions for Pete Ryan and Kingy can be the devil's advocate (hope Pete can say what he thinks on this podcast without putting his Age journo hat on: Newtown resident Warwick Hadfield will be listening):

1) Since 2007, the Cats have turned over their fitness and conditioning staff every 4 to 5 years to prevent complacency from creeping into the Sports science department. Nothing against Chris Dennis and Scott Murphy, will the Cats offer the kitchen sink to Darren Burgess? In my opinion, only there are three fitness gurus who can solve Nakia Cockatoo's problem: Andrew Russell, Darren Burgess and John Quinn.

2) Can this three way trade deal work if Tim Kelly decides to leave for WA. Tim Kelly is the best 1st and 2nd year recruit since Tom Hafey and Bill McMaster got Greg Diesel Williams to Geelong in 1984. You cannot trade a potential Top 2 Brownlow Medalist and the best 2nd year recruit since Greg Diesel Williams for a Toyota Camry (1st round draft picks):

Tim Kelly goes to Eagles.
The Cats get the one of the Hill Brothers and Patty Ryder from Port Power.
Dockers give their 1st round draft pick to the Eagles.
The Eagles then on trade the Dockers' 1st round draft pick to the Power.
Kelly goes to the Eagles and we Patty Ryder from Port Power who has been superseded by Scott Lycett.

it is a win-win for all clubs. I back the Eagles, Dockers and Port to develop their draftees into A grade players. And young Sav has the time to develop into a part time ruckman and key forward.

THE GOV
The dockers are not going to give the west coast eagles a first round pick for nothing really so that the eagles can trade it to port so port can trade Ryder. They’ll also want something for their hill .

Here are two questions for Pete Ryan and Kingy can be the devil's advocate (hope Pete can say what he thinks on this podcast without putting his Age journo hat on: Newtown resident Warwick Hadfield will be listening):

1) Since 2007, the Cats have turned over their fitness and conditioning staff every 4 to 5 years to prevent complacency from creeping into the Sports science department. Nothing against Chris Dennis and Scott Murphy, will the Cats offer the kitchen sink to Darren Burgess? In my opinion, only there are three fitness gurus who can solve Nakia Cockatoo's problem: Andrew Russell, Darren Burgess and John Quinn.

2) Can this three way trade deal work if Tim Kelly decides to leave for WA. Tim Kelly is the best 1st and 2nd year recruit since Tom Hafey and Bill McMaster got Greg Diesel Williams to Geelong in 1984. You cannot trade a potential Top 2 Brownlow Medalist and the best 2nd year recruit since Greg Diesel Williams for a Toyota Camry (1st round draft picks):

Tim Kelly goes to Eagles.
The Cats get the one of the Hill Brothers and Patty Ryder from Port Power.
Dockers give their 1st round draft pick to the Eagles.
The Eagles then on trade the Dockers' 1st round draft pick to the Power.
Kelly goes to the Eagles and we Patty Ryder from Port Power who has been superseded by Scott Lycett.

it is a win-win for all clubs. I back the Eagles, Dockers and Port to develop their draftees into A grade players. And young Sav has the time to develop into a part time ruckman and key forward.

THE GOV

So.. Out <> In

Cats ; TKelly <> Brad Hill & Patty Ryder

Eagles ; <> TKelly

Dockers; R1& BHill <>

Port ; Patty Ryder <> Dockers R1

Could you explain it a bit more Gov ... Im not seeing what the Eagle's give up to get Kelly ... and im not seeing what Freo get out of the deal ?

Hey guys...
1. Just wondering if you may have herd any "rumours" of who we may be interested in Trade Period Week. Eg Free Trade and Non Free Trades... You don't have to say who told you , just some names we could be after...

2 I know you guys love the potential of Esava ( I do to ) but why wouldn't you give Wylie Buzza a shot the last 2 weeks, The only way to see what his got is to give him a couple of games in a row, plus it would of given Stanley a help out in the ruck instead of playing our best key defenders Blitz in the ruck..
Cheers

Last edited:

Another week of close but aesthetically poor footy. Under a roof , dry ground , we sit on top 2 games clear .. and yet the Dogs Cats game was another pukeaderby where the lack of scoring is enough to make someone sick to their stomach. Why should any one pay to watch this score drought style. Would you pay ..if it was not your job to attend? I think the AFL is very lucky there are so many locked in fans...

The standard of the game is closer to bad than good so often now .. it seems lower scores are the norm and big scores when they happen are the outlier.
So many games where coaches aim to prevent rather than create. Take the boundary not the middle. Hold the ball till a ball up occurs. Flood the backline and bring it out at a snail pace. Keep possession do not risk a contested ball. You dont win by scoring ..you win be prevent the other side scoring...

I ask about the standard of the game but how do we measure the standard anyway. ... Fitness and other such fitness staff criteria are as good as they have ever been ..in fact these standards are to some degree the problem. We may have a better game with less fit players that stayed at home more and didn't run up down the ground like it was a basketball court. Less high marks less goals ..but gee those guys are fit and they run fast and can bash each other like its rugby. quick come off your 7 minutes are up. Watch a Youtube clip from not long ago and it was almost a different game. Errors.. sure.. thats probably what made it interesting.

If the scoring continues to drop ... what change do you think will be looked at to try to increase it... ? Less players on the ground? Less rotations?

Last edited:
Gents

Benny still on the Bintang huh....

A poor showing not dissimilar to the PA performance.

Team fatigue, the game style being countered by the opposition coaches, poor form that is correctable??

There is no magic silver bullet ( wink wink Kingy ) to fix this but will some selection changes fix the lethargy? Will adding Sav back in be enough to get the Froward line structure back to its best?

Go Catters

Hi guys, thanks for the weekly thoughts. Keen to hear your thoughts on the following:

The three losses to date have all been against sides which have managed to clog up the cats ball movement on the inside before it gets going. How reliant are the cats on having ball winners who are able to consistently beat an outnumber on the inside? Is this a strategic weakness that needs to be addressed given the age / contract status of our elite ballwinners, and if so is this best addressed by gaining the services of an established inside mid, an established tap ruckman, or drafting?

Hey Guys. This is more of a statement in a way as per part you guys were talking last week on your last episode.
I'm younger than 35, but older than 30, football is ugly to watch as of this congested football. If I didn't follow Geelong ( as I love them ) I wouldn't watch much football. I hate rule Changes but they have to do something about it to make it better to watch.
A local Country/Urban footy is better to watch then AFL besides the skills which for a non professional level still good. Players play there positions, especially a Full Forward you rarely see down in there opposition forward...
Loved footy in the 90s especially when they were hard and tough footy.

Last edited:
Guys ...

2e got the full face sparkle spray wax and shine from the umpire on Sat night ... obviously just a bit of an accidental saliva salutation .... but I wonder... just how many weeks would Tom Hawkins have got if he had done the same thing when an umpire has come within his wet breath range ?
One can only prognosticate just what some media types would have spun it into...

I think a while ago Ben was worried that our run into the finals was looking decidedly limp wristed yet now maybe not much... in a few weeks time the second last game for the H&A has us playing Brisbane in Brisbane which would have to be considered a danger game now... (actually the way we are playing atm every game looks a challenge)

However , looking at our recent history in our Flag years we have lost the second last game in the H&A season in every premiership year .... so perhaps it would not be such a bad thing to have a very solid hit out loss to tune us up ...

(in 07 we lost to Port , in 09 we lost to Bulldogs , in 11 we lost to the Swans)

Hi guys, just wondering if you think we need to be leaving a defender out for team balance purposes? Kolo obviously has to come back in this week, but does that mean one of Bews, O’connor or Henry has to miss out?

Are the Cats coaching staff (Matthew Knights is in charge of the mid field) living in denial about our failure to get first use out of the centre clearances before the opposition has a chance to flood the forward line?

Can Benny clarify if Sam Jacobs is the cheaper option (TTP viewpoint) than Patrick Ryder?

The Gov

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've once again entered into the winter doldrums where games are a bit scrappy and the motivation can ebb. Which of course means hot takes about the state of the game, the quality of teams and generally weird assumptions based on things staying as they currently are.

Should the AFL revitalise this down patch by declaring that rounds 16-20 are all played with multiball in effect? Good luck flooding both sides of the ground, coaches.

We've once again entered into the winter doldrums where games are a bit scrappy and the motivation can ebb. Which of course means hot takes about the state of the game, the quality of teams and generally weird assumptions based on things staying as they currently are.

Should the AFL revitalise this down patch by declaring that rounds 16-20 are all played with multiball in effect? Good luck flooding both sides of the ground, coaches.

LOL.. Pinball Football ... Id thought about having goals post on the wings but two balls that out the box ..well done

Up until the Adelaide game in round 15, we were playing a clearly structured team made up of 7 forwards, 7 mids, 7 defenders and a ruckman – with the CHF also playing 2nd ruck. Within that there were mid-fwd rotations with the likes of Danger, Parfitt & Atkins

Then against Adelaide and the Bulldogs we suddenly changed the structure. We played without a CHF, played an extra defender and made Blicavs be the 2nd ruck.

It seemed strange to change a settled, winning structure. Do you think maybe they were experimenting due to their safe position on the ladder?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Can you blokes please try and give cats fans some insight as to what the club sees in James Parsons? Surely now his papers have to be stamped.

I’m also wondering if it is just a coincidence that the defence looked better at the start of the season when Tuohy and Bews weren’t in the side. Tuohy has been out of form this year and I think he is a huge worry going into September.

Gday boys.
Would love your opinion on the cats patchy form post bye.

Have we been worked out or is it a case of teams setting up behind the ball to force us to go slow?

Has our winning playing style from the start of the season been slotted away in a side draw for a few weeks until the finals begin?

Does this playing group struggle being the hunted? They were hunting down teams early in the season but the hunger just seems to be missing?

Last one - Rhys Stanleys form is obviously down post bye. We celebrate when he competes or can match with opposition ruckman, we pat him on the back when he breaks even, when was his last break out game where he tore the game apart. I remember him doing it against Port Adelaide, over there a year or two ago. He apparently holds the clubs bench press record but gets pushed off the ball by small midfielders and undersized ruckman. (Obviously must skip legs days). But seriously, until the club learns we need a dominant ruckman to help our mids, i fear we are simply making up the numbers yet again come September. Is Smith the answer or just another used band aid?

Guys terrible game on Sunday made worse with the screaming chimpanzee sitting behind me. Would it be possible to get someone to write on the club blackboard "I will not kick it down the line" a thousand times?

Hey Guys, I know you will discuss this but I'll just ask it just by a small chance you don't.
Our Ruck Situation. Surely Zac Smith deserves ago, or to small extent even Abbott.. Chris Scott just seems to just keep going with Stanley got that athletic ruck. Zac Smith basically had 1 game against Gawn in Round 1 last year and didn't play that well and basically only played last year when Stanley wasn't fit. Instead of working with Smith and get him back playing to his best they abandoned him. I do admit Stanley had that red hot form patch last year and I thought they made the right call in choosing Stanley. But surely now Zac Smith deserves a chance to prove what his got, as we gave Stanley to show what his got.

But you herd this first. Chris Scott will play Stanley against Sydney as they don't have a recognised Ruckman and he will play a blinder and he will be saying what a performance from Stanley... Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back