keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

i'm heading down to watch the boys play in sydney on sunday from newcastle. I only catch a game or 2 a year live due to geography, but the games i see tend to end in shocking losses. I've seen losses to sydney 2 years ago, Essendon last year in country round and vs the dogs at marvel this year. I seem to be somewhat of a bad luck charm.

I've already committing to never going to watch a GF should we ever make it, but do you have any advice for me for this weekend? a rain dance? special undies? take the field as a 19th man? let me know

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I will make a comment first. A loss is a good thing for the club. Within the closed doors at KP, the players would know that there is a lot of room for improvement and the recruiting team will be casting an eye on Patrick Ryder and Sauce Jacobs. I am not going to ask a question about centre clearances because i think our ruck division need to go to Box Office Cafe in Geelong West to get some double doughnuts!!!

Why can't Patrick Dangerfield improve his field kicking whilst on the run in a similar fashion to Darren Jarman? Every time Danger is on the run, his kicks are not properly weighted to allow Hawkins and Rohan to mark the ball with their hands right out in front of their eye-face (Dunstall style)?

And, why can't Hawkins and Buddy mark the footy with their arms stretched out in front of them and their hands positioned to allow them to mark the ball in front of their face (Ablett Senior and Dunstall were able to do this regularly and it was a joy to watch)?

The Gov

Nearly missed the cut off!

Pleasure to be hosted last week so thanks again!!

To the real stuff - im sure by this point of the Podcast you have already covered the "WTF is going on" stuff so ill leave that alone.
What is the latest on Freddy's knee and Zuthrie's ankle?
Will Narkle and Chook get the nod up this week?
And has James Parsons ( who was not alone in being poor this week to be fair so it wasnt just him) been placed in the GHS category of being too good for VFL but not good enough at AFL level?

Great to be here and ill listen in from the other side of the pond.

GO Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
One game and percentage clear on top of the ladder .... yet very few ..if anyone is predicting Geelong as Premiers.. a lot not even predicting a Geelong GF appearance... Surely we have seen enough now to have an opinion on Geelong the 2019 version...

Who on the Krock team think Geelong makes the GF and do they win ?Do they win a final? And whats the outcome if Geelong has another "butter in the microwave" September?

To be honest ..really ..who could rule a quick exit AGAIN when we have gone from Chocolates to boiled lollies since the bye.

Our preoccupation with Snail ball with control over risk , with slow , slow and slower ..seems to blocked us up so much that our side needs a big hot football enema. We definitely need a bit more fibre in our game plan. Of course , any supporters watching them play like that have absolutely no need for a plate of prunes , the first half of football V Haw was enough to give anyone the metamucil treatment....

The Kingslayer

Under Transfer Embargo
Jun 12, 2019
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea, Dragons FFC
Hey guys,

A lot of talk around town about training and the workload on the boys since the bye. Mentions of a similar tactic to 2009 under Bomber by loading the training and being willing to drop a game or two as a sacrifice for hitting peak fitness come September. Would love to hear any insights into that!

Love the pod, keep up the great work as always! :geelong:

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Next week's question.
Could Cockatoo bring the pace and hardness back to Geelong at finals time. Could he become our new Ottens non apparent home and awayer and fly around finals time.
Cocky Rohan Ablett and Dalhaus up forward is a tasty proposition.

Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
Hi all,

Recording at the special early time of 5:30pm Monday (AEST).

Feel free to fire in your questions.

Kingy

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
To Kingy and Cass,

3 Quick questions:

1) Zac Smith: Should the Cats persist with him as the No 1 ruckman for the remainder of the year and try to play Rhys Stanley down back?
2) Will the coaching staff give Ablett a rest this week after Chris Scott (Coach of the Year) pulled the masterstroke and placed him in the middle after half time?
3) Will KROCK give passionate Carlton fan Heath Buck the privilege of going into the Carlton rooms after a Carlton victory and do a 2012 encore?

The Gov

Gents

Cant appreciate enough the work of Tom Hawkins on the weekend. In his 250th thought he embodied the essence of what we are about - getting it donw in the face of adversity. HE gets mauled every week and just keeps on going. A credit to himself for keeping it together..... most of the time.

Ive been and advocate of Atkins and Miers all season but but when are they gonna get a spell? Only see them getting a week off but i reckon they'll benefit from it.

Like to see Chook and Simpson get a go but id say Menegola and Parfitt are in their way.

Does Stanley miss at Optus to protect his dodgy calves on the hard surface there and Smith gets to show his wares against a real ruck department or are we just totally ****ed in the ruck and gonna wing it from here making changes every week and hope we can make it work?

GO Catters

PS - Benny the Bengals are dropping like flies

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Benny. When you said the word directed at me "facetious" I had to Google what that ment lol.
I'd love us another of these "words" IV never herd where I live on the Farm ha

Nakia Cockatoo... You guys said weeks ago he won't be playing in the 1s this year. Do you think Chris Scott is building him up in getting him rite for a shot at Finals..

And do think also they may play 2 ruck this week against Freo Big Boys in Sandilands, Darcy and Lobb
If they did you would think it be Smith and Stanley, but would be good in a way to give Smith and Abbott a shot.

PS I would like to say a Thank You for giving us news on the club's injury list ( on your Facebook page ) as we don't hear anything directly from the club much this year regarding injurys
Cheers the FoxDog 🦊

Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
Hi all,

Cas & Kingy are back to dissect the 'Docker Debacle' this week.

Fire in your questions by 4:30pm (AEST) Wednesday.

Last edited:

catters_28

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, where to begin after that debacle. We seem to be reverting back to the players that have let us down in finals gone by. Sorry for the long post ahead:

Does Scott Selwood deserve a spot in our side in September? I think he is just too slow and will be exposed on the wide expanses of the G.

Zac Smith. I was not against bringing him in, but I think now we know he just isn’t up to it. Again, too slow. We just have to bring Stanley back in and pray to god he can get back to his form from the start of the year.

Henderson was not our worst, however he is again a player that slows us down and has failed to perform in finals. We have to be ruthless if we want a premiership and I think he has to go out.

Tuohy has not been offering the side enough this year.

I have seen Youth Girls players that I would back in to kick a set shot from 20 metres out straight in front before I’d back Patrick Dangerfield in.

Overall a very disappointing game and some serious soul searching must be done this month, or back us in for straight sets.

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Its Ground Hog day again. We can't win after the bye and our finals record is disgusting after the 2011 GF.

But, we have a healthy list and it seems that most of our players (Dangerfield, Duncan, Tuohy and Guthrie) believe in their own publicity.

KROCK graduate Tom Morris broke the story that the Cats are willing to part ways with Charlie Constable and Ryan Abbott to get Jack Stevens. You have to be joking! I was told by a leading Geelong local umpire who is well connected to the Bell Park Football Club that Constable was a superior footballer than Brayshaw when he umpired a private school game a couple of years ago and the reason why he is not in contention for AFL selection is his 2 to 3 km time trial running times are not up to the required standard. They are a work in progess. If the Cats are so desperate for Stevens, why don't they trade Cam Guthrie for Jack Stevens? Guthrie and Stevens are similar type of footballers who can play in the mid field or off half back.

I think he needs to contact leading Geelong running coach Bruce Scriven, Graeme Watkins or Mark Boxer to teach him how to run differently. Bruce Scriven coached leading Geelong athletes Barry Stoneham, Darren Lynch and Georgie Clarke.

The Gov.

Last edited:

Pumpernickel

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2015
Ready to be grilled and smacked with beetroot dip.
AFL Club
Geelong
Not again, surely not again.

I like Chris Scott, i think he's articulate, intelligent and clearly a good coach. But (from the outside looking in) is he too smart for his own good? Is he stubborn enough to not recognize some seemingly obvious glaring deficiencies that arise year after year. Is he surrounding himself with yes men in the coaches box, is he being challenged or tested? No assistant coaching changes last year means the players are hearing the same messages from the same people for the last 18 months+. Is it time for a change of personnel in the coaching ranks? I would like to see them mix it up, bring in some fresh ideas, voices. I'm hoping the rumors of a heavy training block are true, would be great for the coach to give us supporters an idea of WTF is going on, but Mr Scott gives me the impression that us dumb folk just don't have the mental capacity to understand the complexities of why or how we win and lose games of footy.

We haven't had a dominant ruckman since Ottens, we continue to top up with soft, slow, injury prone C graders that just cant get the job done on a consistent basis.

We have a midfield most teams would be enviable of, but when two way running is seemingly optional (against Freo, Hawks and Port) when the going gets tough, our mids can look bog average. Is this a mental thing where we have sat on top of the ladder for most of the year and complacency creeps in? Does a few wake up calls in the second half of the year give them the jolt they need to become the desperate, motivated, team orientated group we all witnessed dominate the first half of the season or is it too late, are we going to become another easy beat come finals time?

Kingy - Better check the KROCK hard drive as I reckon this ones gonna be a long episode..... :)

Tough weekend for those in and out of the KROC box - has Beeny recovered?

As for the Cats - what a shady show that was. Kinda like some of the previous weeks shady shows - and shady was not the adjective of choice but it was the KROCK approved adjective to air.

I dont believe any GFC player is soft or weak. I have sometimes been given reason to question their desire to win the ball however. Im not an astute footy mind but I do know when I see players with eyes only for the ball in contests it shows - and players that are standing around the contest waiting for someone else to get it stand out too. I saw too much of the latter this week.

I get there are structures and roles to be played but have we over complicated things to the point where "see ball get ball" is no longer a positive thing.
Simplify the game and let them do what they do best.

Watching the Lions and WC on the weekend their players seem free to use their best assets to their advantage whilst holding their responsibiiities in the their team.

Where have we gone wrong here and can we fix it?

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back