Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the topic of who is to play Ruck will be talked about. Neither Stanley or Smith seem up to it. The Ruck options in the VFL - Fort and Abbott don't inspire much hope either.

Time to try something different? Buzza, Sav and Blitz to share the rucking duties and just see what happens, things can't get any worse. Yeah I know this isn't going to happen.

On a different the subject - time to stop giving the players mini-holidays? In the interview with Danger on KROCK he said they were doing the normal training routine, but he also mentioned he and other players went to Rottnest Island. I don't begrudge the players some downtime, but until they can start winning after a bye (or mini-bye in this week's case) they should be banned from playing the tourist!

Just a final comment on the Tom's interview with Danger...he did get a bit defensive when his kicking was mentioned didn't he!

To what extent have we been done in by our own list profile? Mix of older players getting niggles towards the end of the season and kids who haven't built the endurance to run out a full season yet sounds dicey going into finals.

Has the disappearance of our drive off the backline been a lot to do with Clark being moved to the middle? The kid plays on at every opportunity and has a fantastic penetrating kick which forces players to run for him. The timing of his move and our form slump is conspicuous.

Is Charlie Constable a serious option for generating some contested possessions to push the barometer in our favour despite averaging 68% game time? Does it mess with rotations too much if a player can only run out 3 quarters?

I'm sure the topic of who is to play Ruck will be talked about. Neither Stanley or Smith seem up to it. The Ruck options in the VFL - Fort and Abbott don't inspire much hope either.

Time to try something different? Buzza, Sav and Blitz to share the rucking duties and just see what happens, things can't get any worse. Yeah I know this isn't going to happen.

On a different the subject - time to stop giving the players mini-holidays? In the interview with Danger on KROCK he said they were doing the normal training routine, but he also mentioned he and other players went to Rottnest Island. I don't begrudge the players some downtime, but until they can start winning after a bye (or mini-bye in this week's case) they should be banned from playing the tourist!

Just a final comment on the Tom's interview with Danger...he did get a bit defensive when his kicking was mentioned didn't he!

Just FYI -players are given 1-2 days off per week in season as part of the CBA with the players union. They went to Rottnest Island on their day off. Whilst i agree its a bad look when combined with the loss - there is nothing wrong with players doing whatever the * they want on their own time - and this was their own time. If we win this game the photos of their dau off activities would not matter at all.

GO Catters

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Hey Boys.. I'll ask a couple of question, what's more left field and it's not a obvious questions about the concerning form we are in.

This was reported on Fox Footy yesterday about Jack Steven coming to Geelong.

Basically saying we may trade Constable in a deal for Jack Steven. Or to a lesser extent Ryan Abbott.
Surely we would have rocks in our head to trade Constable ( who generally be a great long term player for the club ) for a 30 year old player who is on the other end of the scale and is having issues which can't get on the field as he has personal problems..

Please if you have any personal problems please talk to someone.

2nd. Surely we need to go after a Free Agent Ruckman? Sam Jacobs is the first name that comes to mind, Yes they might in the 30 but it will be a free shot as it won't cost a thing. As our biggest concern is our Ruck. Recruit a free agent for 2 years and then draft a young kid in the draft ( yes draft a young kid ruckman ) and let him do his apprenticeship in the VFL.
Cheers

CoolCat75

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
After the Hawthorn game made it 3 from 5 losses, I was prepared to give the Cats a chance to turn around their form during the winter slog. However that stretch is now 7 average games. After the last loss against a terribly undermanned Fremantle, I have a nagging fear we have permanently dropped to become a 6-12th team despite our ladder position.

Contender or pretender? Where do you guys sit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kingy - Better check the KROCK hard drive as I reckon this ones gonna be a long episode..... :)

Tough weekend for those in and out of the KROC box - has Beeny recovered?

As for the Cats - what a shady show that was. Kinda like some of the previous weeks shady shows - and shady was not the adjective of choice but it was the KROCK approved adjective to air.

I dont believe any GFC player is soft or weak. I have sometimes been given reason to question their desire to win the ball however. Im not an astute footy mind but I do know when I see players with eyes only for the ball in contests it shows - and players that are standing around the contest waiting for someone else to get it stand out too. I saw too much of the latter this week.

I get there are structures and roles to be played but have we over complicated things to the point where "see ball get ball" is no longer a positive thing.
Simplify the game and let them do what they do best.

Watching the Lions and WC on the weekend their players seem free to use their best assets to their advantage whilst holding their responsibiiities in the their team.

Where have we gone wrong here and can we fix it?

Go Catters
CSA - We will be recording the show on Friday morning.

Perhaps I was on the money here!!

Go Catters

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
Hi all,

This week's Podcast will be recorded with Benny and Kingy on Tuesday afternoon.

Fire in your questions by 4:00 pm.

cheers

Pumpernickel

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2015
Ready to be grilled and smacked with beetroot dip.
AFL Club
Geelong
Hopefully lessons have been learnt from past big games like this, Brisbane will bring some intense, finals like pressure all over the ground, and we know the usual suspects who are suspect when the heat gets turned up on them, guys like Tuohy, Menegola, Stanley, Kolo, i'm sure there's more, will be put to the test again. Hoping Mr Scott has some wise words to these guys who seemingly choke in big games.

If we are blown away in the first quarter, like we usually are in games like this, can we assume that we are just going to be making the numbers up again come finals?

I Hope some planning has been done to curtail Charlie Cameron as the last time he playing in such a big game against us he kicked 5.1 in a best on ground performance? Who goes to him? Bews? The Shark? I have no idea? I think we can match them around the ground but he could be the difference.
If our backs think they will be limiting the lions to 1 goal like we did against North, they may have to think again, they are red hot and going on our second half of the year form we are due for a loss.

If anyone has asked you for the odds of a 1 v 2 clash 2 weeks out from the end of the HA season that involved Geelong and Brisbane at the start of the year the odds would have been unofferable - Vegas would not give them out -its just not possible - the opposite of what Professor Julius Sumner Miller would say in those old Cadbury adds.

Yet here we are. Can we just marvel for a second at the Professors great phenomenons and what we have before us. Its pretty cool that no one gave either a hope in Hades of being here so some credit must go to both clubs coaches and players.

Will Chook finally get out of the dog house after 41 and 2 and get a go in the seniors again? He must surely right??!?!

A much better effort in an ugly game and a good 4 points. Clearly the Cats 6 week finals campaign starts this week in BrisVegas. Win here and set ourselves up for a Flag run.

GO Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
With the impending retirement of Taylor and Ablett this year or next .. and having brought in so many young players in recent times like Clark , Sav and Miers .. our best 22 is begining to tilt towards being far too young and fresh , so it should be no surprise that we have recently been link to the likes of Jack Steven and Shagga Higgins ... :rolleyes: ... but what are they worth?

Listening to the loquacious Chuck during your call on sat night.... he thought a fair deal would be a 3 way deal involving Kelly Hill and Steven .... Yes we do like the older players.. but a player that 5 years old than the one we are letting go and has struggled to get on the ground this year.. doesnt have the vibe of equity to me... What is Jack Steven worth in your opinion by himself. Who knows maybe Kelly stays.. and we have to look at a trade without any picks gained from his trade... Does a pick in the 30's sound about right ? He is a Free agent next year and trading for him should not involve an R1 pick imo.

Personally the like of Clark should confirm that there is plenty to be gained from going to draft.. if you select correctly....

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Hey Boys
It's a decision we seem to talk about every week.
Our Ruck Situation, Surely at the end of the year we have to chase a ready made genuine good ruck for the 2020 season.
There are 2 free Agents Todd Goldstein and Sam Jacobs, or Patrick Ryder comes out of contract ( who is not a Free Agent ).
Surely we could go after a Free Agent, sign them up for 2 years then go to this year's draft and get a young kid that can do there apprenticeship in the VFL.
Cheers

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Chris Scott spoke recently about wishing top spot was worth more than it currently is (especially for us, where it doesn't even net a home final).

How do you think we should try to incentivise this? Should the finals bracket come with extra allowances? End of first round bonus pick? Fruit basket? Obviously there's an issue in terms of rubber banding type effects, so is Scotty just wildly off the mark?

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
Hi all,

The Cat Attack Podcast will be recording on Wednesday afternoon at 4:15pm.

Got any questions for Cas or Kingy?

Fire them in here.

Last edited:

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Good afternoon Boys,

Spoke to my contact who previously worked for KROCK-BayFM in the 90s alongside John Dunne. He has confirmed that Stevens is a lock for Cats and Constable wants to play at St Kilda in 2020 alongside one his best mate from his school days.

In your view, is Charlie Constable worth the Saints first round draft pick after a leading Geelong umpire umpired Andrew Brayshaw and Constable in a Private school game and he ranked Constable a superior player to Andrew Brayshaw?

I also got word that the Tim Kelly deal to Freo is all set to go if Tim Kelly wants to leave Geelong. Which Hill brother do you prefer? Stephen Hill or Brad Hill.

Finally, should the Cats draft a mature age ruckman in the draft (Brock Higgins from South Fremantle is a physical ruckman in the mould of Mumford) and then get Jacobs or Ryder? We know that Abbott is going to the Saints and Smith wants to return home to Queensland.

The Gov

Last edited:

Pumpernickel

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2015
Ready to be grilled and smacked with beetroot dip.
AFL Club
Geelong
G'day guys.
I don't want to be a Chris Scott hater, i want to like the bloke, i really do.
He just sometimes makes it so bloody hard. Smug, is the first word that comes to my head when i think of this bloke. Win, lose or draw.
Yep, we are on the cusp of another finals series, we have had a great win/loss record, again.
Apart from the 2011 Premiership what will be Chris Scotts legacy when he ultimately leaves Geelong?
Will the list be a mess once Selwood, Taylor, Dangerfeild, Ablett, Hawkins etc retire?
IMO the list starting to have a little stench of Ross Lyon after he left St'kilda about it. I understand all good things must come to an end, we have been blessed to have such great players like to ones mentioned above but i hope Mr Scott has one eye on the future of the club and not just recruiting top up players for immediate success, it hasn't worked the last few years with the "window"open, what will be in his planning for when our window slams shut. I fear when it does shut, its going to be nailed down and painted over!!

Hi guys. Was listening to another podcast the other day and Finey made the point that it seemed the cats slow ball movement is designed to protect the backline. Is there a trigger point number of matches played together where Scott has enough confidence in the back 6 that he'll start to drop defence first players around the ground and replace them with players who ball hunt first?

Based on this defensive style do you think the coaching group internally would have rated the list as being a shot at achieving what they have so far?

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Good afternoon Boys,

Spoke to my contact who previously worked for KROCK-BayFM in the 90s alongside John Dunne. He has confirmed that Stevens is a lock for Cats and Constable wants to play at St Kilda in 2020 alongside one his best mate from his school days.

In your view, is Charlie Constable worth the Saints first round draft pick after a leading Geelong umpire umpired Andrew Brayshaw and Constable in a Private school game and he ranked Constable a superior player to Andrew Brayshaw?

I also got word that the Tim Kelly deal to Freo is all set to go if Tim Kelly wants to leave Geelong. Which Hill brother do you prefer? Stephen Hill or Brad Hill.

Why have the Cats placed their heads in the sand with the ruck problem since 2016? A blind man with a craving for Double Doughnuts would have sensed that our ruck problem would become ground hog day unless something was done from a ruck coaching point of view and a bold move to get a true ruckman like Jayden Preuss or entice the Sausage Eating Champion back to conquer the Double Doughnuts record!!

The Gov

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He has confirmed that Stevens is a lock for Cats and Constable wants to play at St Kilda in 2020 alongside one his best mate from his school days.
Where has all of this CC rubbish come from? I'd expect if we held the fort on Kelly, we'll hold the fort on Constable too, unless he's done something that the club would want to move on from ASAP (like following in the footsteps of Mummy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back