goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Any questions for the Cat Attack Podcast?

Wouldn't imagine so. After all, what is there to talk about?

;)

Seriously, though, for all the 'Scott out' rhetoric, what is the club going to do about a coach who is seemingly bereft of helpful ideas to address our finals woes but is contracted to coach the club for another three years? Surely they can't seriously be looking to pull the pin now and cop the enormous whack in the back pocket that a payout would entail.

So, is there scope for salvaging something from where we stand now by running a very serious broom through the rest of the footy department? It must be time to move on a number of assistants and see whether some different voices could help to change the dynamic. Or is there an ingrained sense of sycophancy that means the coach will still have his way, no matter who joins his team?

Formative days ahead, for sure. And a list that could easily lose its way as some of our club legends are about to depart in relatively short order. Could a savage (yet necessary) recalibration of the footy department be enough to arrest the litany of stupefying failures when the blowtorch is applied?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I was wondering if we were going to compare last Fri Night to a movie ..what movie would it be ...

Titanic? The arrogance of the ship builders that thought they had built something that was so big and strong and safe it didnt need lifeboats... and thru choices made and ignored it hit an iceberg and sunk....
The style of football we now play has now made us the sleeping pill of the comp. "The way the game should be played" says the song... but what we do now represents all that minimises what draws people to the game... and all because someone somewhere has decided that shutdown turnoff is some sort of golden ticket to success. The irony is it obviously is not.

Cool Hand Luke .. ... what we got here is a Failure to Communicate ..? What in all that is holy has the club done with letting home ground thing becomes such an issue. It seems to have gotten wrapped up in the wrong media message. Like it or not ..we will not get finals at Geelong unless.. multiple finals at the G, , playing interstate sides ..and probably not till the stadium has finished Stage 5. The Japanese say a nail that sticks out get hit down... Unless there is a positive benefit the coach should not be talking about it. Yet the media throw out the hook.. and bite bite bite

The Wizard of Lies ..the story Bernie Maddoff Ponzi scheme that defrauded so many with false lies and empty promises.. Fittest we have ever been , full list prepared and ready ...blah blah blah. The loss off the bye mid season was becuase of our design to make us better when it counts ?The absolute miss truth that Stanley was dropped for weather before the game .... it was talked about well before the game on here and in media that Stanley would be dropped..it had got out. Then we take Blitz out of D but do not replace him like we have all the other times..with Henderson to ensure our setup is similar... role confusion, defensive errors , poor start again , tilt .....game over.

Perhaps .. Wizard of Oz ... where after trip down the yellow brick road we find out that the Great Oz is just a charlatan , showbiz carni whos bluster and pompus attitude complimented with colourful smoke and big dials and gauges looked rather inept once the curtain is ripped aside....

A straight sets loss now is more than probable .. Only a GF appearance could validate our season and as it stands we are on the verge of a record set by North in 1983.. straight sets for the top team... ... does the club realise thats its supporters are losing faith in them .. or are we just an example of superficial negative comments that CS was talking about when he was recently questioned?

Glass half empty right now for sure.

OK question ... We missed Clarks run and dare... who do we bring in to add some of that.... Parsons? Does it matter anyway if you not allowed to take the game on?

Last edited:

catters_28

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi guys, apologies for the incoming rant:

I think this club needs to have a good hard look at itself. How can things have gone so pear shaped since the bye? How can we perform so badly in finals for the 4th year in a row? Sure the season isn't over yet but that performance on Friday night was diabolical. Why does this club insist upon making ridiculous selection decisions in finals?

And it isn't just the coaching and selection. Why do our senior players consistently go missing in big games? Other than Dangerfield and Stewart, which of the senior boys stood up? Hawkins and Ablett played perhaps the worst games I have ever seen them play. Unfortunately the skipper looks like he is just about cooked.

I have been there for all those woeful finals at the G - 2013 prelim, 2014 straight sets, 2016 prelim, 2017 Qualifying, 2018 elimination and of course Friday night. But Friday night was the one that finally broke me. The club sold us so much hope that things have finally changed and they blew it.

Edit: And now it comes out that the late change was pre-planned and Stanley was told in the final training session, rather than this being an "oops we mucked up the weather". This club continues to treat its fans like fools.

Last edited:

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
The Gov is going to launch himself of the Michael Holding Whispering Death long run.

Ground hog day is happening again and the head in the sand approach could happen if we lose on Friday night. We could be the 2nd team to bow out in the finals (North Melbourne had a super side in 1983 and bowed out in straight sets after finishing on top of the final 5) after finishing on top of the ladder.

Will Brian Cook bite the bullet and move on two long term assistant coaches (Matthew Knights and Jason Rahilly) and bring in Mark Choco Williams and Brendan McCartney to prepare ourselves for another tilt in 2020 and a list rebuild? Does the Cats have space in its footy department cap to pay out Knights and Rahilly and then bring in Choco Williams and Brendan McCartney?

With the exception of Matthew Scarlett, does the club have the right teaching coaches to train up the 0 to 100 gamers to play a brand of football that will stand up in the September cauldron?

Does the club and the fans want to accept the line of finishing in the 8 every year (finishing top 4) and not making the Grand Final and winning it as acceptable? Jeff Kennett, Graeme Richmond, Ian Wilson, Kevin Sheedy and John Elliott would not accept this type of performance when we are in the chance of winning the flag?

What amazes me is we are in the premiership window for the past 6 years and nothing has been done by getting new ideas and fresh voices onto the coaching staff.

THE GOV

Hope you got the comfy chairs in the studio and brought some snacks... this gonna be a long one.

That was awful.

Just plain awful.

You saw my tweets and I was not impresed. Yes it was only 10 points but that was not representative of the carnage.

Being confined to social media and forced to watch on TV and stream you guys to be invoved and with my presence on Big Footy Id say im fairly in touch with the feel of what people say - right or wrong. CS has copped a spray for a long time that I never bought into - he's been a largely successful coach.

On Friday night, that changed. And because you've had this topic all Podcast long and with the NFL starting up, ill give it to you with a twist.

Chri Scott has tried to emulate Bill Belicheck - Harvard Managment degree courses, coaching classses and going the impersonal, we dont pay over stars, no one is bigger than the club type way and being the master coach who out smarts his opponent. Clarko has come closest but CS has not really. I blame Belichick for greating the unachievable goal. On Froday night, CS beat himself and took the club, players and supporters down with him.

Chris Scott has become the Marty Schotenhimerof the AFL. With the Browns, Redskins, Chiefs and Chargers Marty had a stellar coaching career making the Playoffs regularly and taking teams deep into the Post season. Benny will know exacttly whom and what im talking about. But he never got the big one and often saw his regular season successes wiped out in the Post Season.... sound familar? He lost his HC jobs 4 times over his career...once being fired after a
14-2 season in San Diego - yes fired after a 14-2 winning season and post season straight sets exit.

AS for the move itself. Stanley is not the best ruck in the league - but he's probably the best ruck on out list. He didnt have to star V Grundy - just needed to compete. CS never game him the chance. But not just that, by taking BLitz from the back 6 he destabilised them and made them edgy in their game.
Up there wth Hendo as a CHF V the Swans, Menzel out for Zuthrie V the Tigers in 2017, CS has tried to win Finals from the coaching box....

And he's failed every time.

Where to from here? Beat WC on Friday ( unlikely o the past 2 games each club has played) to get the Tigers in the PF?

If Cookie did review last year, this one will be a doozie.

Thoghts?

And for my invovlement, Im not sure I can stomach the game Friday night - and you bith know I never miss a game so for me to say that indicates how disenfranchised I am with this right now.

GO Catters

Last edited:

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Any chance one or two of our team lower the eyes this week.
The bomb bombed against the Pies. Imagine re west coast!
Put the ball in the space and ask the forwards to lead onto it.
Too much talent to bomb over the top of.
Play to strengths and forget the religious approach. You know, hope for something to appear in an immaculate kinda way.
Im wanting a gameplan to be genuinely conceived.

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Just listening to the Sacked podcast with Kevin Sheedy.

Mark Choco Williams has done wonders at Werribee Football Club. The Geelong Football Club are totally insane or Chris Scott needs to seek counselling if he cannot get Mark Choco Williams on board as one of his assistants in 2020 since we have miserably failed in the finals since 2012 and cannot win a game after a week off.

Thoughts Benny Cass? I have been harping on about this for 12 months and getting Choco Williams as an assistant and trying to get Diesel Williams as a part time mid field coach would be a better option than retaining Matthew Knights and Jason Rahilly again??

I think the bigger question, is not that we didn't pick Stanley, but that again we started slow in a final and again we couldn't win a game after a bye. What are the coaches doing to fix these issues? It would seem they have no answer.

At least we don't have to play a game after a bye again this season. :)

AlcoaCat

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Perth Cardinals
<rant>

Great podcast, thanks guys. I listened as I was walking down to the shops to get a pastrami roll and had to stop several times because I was fairly gripped by emotion. Thanks Kingy for putting into words what so many of us want to know: why the hell does the club dick us around like that?

As you implied, there's a huge communication gap which the club needs to address pronto. The overwhelming fan view (overwhelming now that influential former holdouts like a clearly hammered Daz have jumped on board) is that the club -- big boss, coach and senior players -- aren't honest. And from their perspective, it seems they think we are bunch of entitled whingers. That's not a healthy relationship.

OK, I have to get this out of my system. Sorry. From my point of view CS got off us to a terrible start by spinning ridiculous horseshit about the Stanley decision. I heard the rumour on Thursday as everyone else did, and we all possess the BOM radar on our phones, so we knew the official reason was bollocks. The lowest point of CS's career was that smart-arsed stuff he did on-field about an hour before the game began. What a crock. How many fans from other clubs were laughing in pity and contempt about that one.

Straight after we had Harry deflecting (Joel did it a few weeks before on K Rock as well). I know in this PR age players aren't exactly free to speak their minds, but I think this is part of the problem of leadership that you were alluding to. He doesn't need to chuck the coach under the wheels, but it would have been nice to hear a subtle admission that it hurt us to a) not play a ruckman and b) persist with an utterly boring and unnatural game style. Then we had Scotty again treating us like morons in that press conference. I don't want to accuse the man of lying, but the "if we had known it wouldn't rain" and "I'll have to review whether Grundy had an influence" and "I was one voice of 7" lines were just so massively insincere and unbelievable. Damn I was filthy after that appearance.

I couldn't believe it would get worse during the week, but it did. The Carter interview was horrible. It's $160 for two people to sit in the nosebleeds on Friday and his idea of pitching this to us was to unequivocally defend the coach and his decisions. Tin ear, Col'n. Again, don't crucify your guy, but just be straight about saying that the club understands the fans' point of view that the decisions and approach weren't optimal. Put us on the same side, don't alienate us with doubletalk about rebuilding and playing to the popular stats-fed media view that the coach is a genius. Then we had Danger backing the coach to the hilt and CS finishing the week getting all peeved and suggesting things won't change. Seriously, following the club at the moment is like being a 1940s woman stuck in an abusive marriage: no one's listening.

That's why I loved the podcast. This was the first genuine emotion I heard being expressed from people in the media who actually know what they're talking about (OK, honourable mention to the AFL.com columnist earlier in the week who accused CS of buggering everyone around).

Sucks to be a Geelong fan at the moment. I hope we win, but I'm about as confident as a male stripper emerging from an ice bath.

Go Catters, I guess.

</rant>

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Hi guys, apologies for the incoming rant:

I think this club needs to have a good hard look at itself. How can things have gone so pear shaped since the bye? How can we perform so badly in finals for the 4th year in a row? Sure the season isn't over yet but that performance on Friday night was diabolical. Why does this club insist upon making ridiculous selection decisions in finals?

And it isn't just the coaching and selection. Why do our senior players consistently go missing in big games? Other than Dangerfield and Stewart, which of the senior boys stood up? Hawkins and Ablett played perhaps the worst games I have ever seen them play. Unfortunately the skipper looks like he is just about cooked.

I have been there for all those woeful finals at the G - 2013 prelim, 2014 straight sets, 2016 prelim, 2017 Qualifying, 2018 elimination and of course Friday night. But Friday night was the one that finally broke me. The club sold us so much hope that things have finally changed and they blew it.

Edit: And now it comes out that the late change was pre-planned and Stanley was told in the final training session, rather than this being an "oops we mucked up the weather". This club continues to treat its fans like fools.
Have to say this was a brilliant post 👌👍 hats off to you

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Finally got to listen to the podcast this morning. Great call on Harry Taylor I thought he was slow and didn't look switched on last Friday night. Also loved the emotion in describing the game as we all could see history was repeating itself for the 4th year in a row.

Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
You've got questions - we might have answers.

Fire through your questions to Cas and Kingy by 9am Tuesday.

Well that was exciting and damn tiring for yours truly - but much like CS and the team, we made it through.

I know that Tom Atkins has been sliding off form of late, but I felt, for his 2nd final ever, his game was probably the best of the year.
Tommy Stewart is a dead set gun and that AA jacket fits him damn well - and the Skipper just issued another masterclass in leadership, dragging the team along wth you and showing how good he really is.

Moving forward -
Im still on the Kruger to replace Hawkins train. I know ive been dropped on my head as baby - and that it wont happen - but if we accept
1- VFL to AFl to AFL Final are 2 giant steps up.
2- He's fit and its a dry game -

Why cant we play him as the lead up forward out of the square. He works hard defensively in F50, he runs straight at the ball and is very physical in the contest and he's a booming kick for goal. He's also farily agile and well filled out for a bloke of his size.

The Tigers D is not overly tall but works well on structure. IMO a Freddy /Sav combo would be good at breaking that structure up.
They will probably go Fort or another small in but at this point its worth a spin.

Or maybe im just still concussed.

GO Catters

The Governor

All Australian
Aug 16, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I am rapt with the win. But, here is the monkey that will be on the back of Chris Scott if we lose on Friday night. Our preliminary finals record has not been great since 2013.

If we lose on Friday night, will the media place the blow torch on Chris Scott for another failure in September? Or, will they place him under the Gerard Whateley witness protection programme? Premiership teams have premiership reunions and you don't hear about the losing grand final team having a losing grand final or losing preliminary final reunion in the future.

My second question is our forward line structure and entries into the forward line. Will the midfielders, wingers and backmen lower their eyes and make an effort to deliver the ball into the forward line with Darren Jarman bullet like passes?

I do believe that if we win on Friday night and play the Pies, we will beat them. History has shown that the loser of the 2nd semi final back in the final five and the loser of the qualifying final wins the Grand Final.

The Gov.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Guys

Ablett seems to be carrying an injury ..either groin , leg or back ... not making the distance from inside 50 where as earlier in the year he was doing it easy.. have you heard anything about an injury.. or is father time pointing to midnight for the former Gold Coast Captain...?

No Clark , No Duncan ..and now no Hawkins. No Cockatoo probably doesnt even count. It seems in recent years we have always managed to have a depleted team come the business end ..and going into play Rich without our best side... probably a rung on the ladder to hard for us now. We are now left with Sav as our only marking option .. I dont think he is up to being #1 yet..

The lack of other options to have been played thru the year means they really have very limited choices come Fri night bad and worse. Buzza for instance kicked regular goals and was never considered so ..he cant come in now. Taylor can mark it but is a poor forward and a bad kick at goal. Stanley poor forward and Rohan is surely not pickable. Fort..I'd have thought not. Do they put 2e forward again... what a ugly set of options.

If the best option is to play Danger as a forward..who is the mid that comes in...?

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
What are your thoughts about bringing in Smith and playing Stanley and Ratagolea forward?
Two mobile, tall, forwards might give Grimes, Astbury and Vlastuin a bit of stick
Need some shock attack this week, and something to keep us straigtened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back