Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2021 - Kingy and Benny are back for KROCK Football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

Massive fan of Sam Simpson. Does his ability to play high half forward and push up to stoppages put him ahead of Higgins? or does his spot potentially keep out Miers?

Cheers

Please note, slightly alcohol induced question. Trying to make sense of our capitulation against the Dee's. Seems that our second quarter was brought together with a swarm of centre clearances and an attack at all times mentality.

So just trying to justify why we thought that trying to shut up shop for an hour rather than playing the game out was the way to go. When we attack, we look unbeatable so why is it so that we constantly invite pressure and possible turnovers by chipping the ball around and holding the ball up. Going out on a limb here but Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan would probably appreciate the ball coming in fast before numbers and opposition structure gets back to clog the space.

Continue the good work Gents.

Watching the game Saturday night certainly reinforced the view that our game style no longer suits GMHBA's narrow wings. We kick it around before entering the 50 to pull them out and spread them, but there simply wasn't enough room at GMHBA.

A smart change given finals (even in a normal year) aren't generally played at GMHBA. Credit to Chris for that.

Another learning from Saturday night is the best way to beat Geelong is to make us feel we have won the game. We either won't show up for the start or we'll switch off like last Saturday and so many times when we are run down.... Maybe that's a symptom of old experienced heads. The desire to hold back when not necessary (to not blowout) is not balanced with some young enthusiasm??

Great call from the weekend.

Must pay homage to Tom Hawkins 300th - What a legend of the club and the game and has there been a nicer bloke With more frees against (wrongly imo) to ever make the 300?

1.25 sec mark for about 10 secs)

I guess this is pretty simple now:

Are we better for feeling the gut wrenching disappointment of that kind of loss before the Finals start to remind them of how it felt last year losing the GF to Richmond? Keep in mind we still have the double chance and have not lost anything yet.

OR -

Has it now brought a level of self doubt into the group and more importantly given a level of belief to the other 7 teams that we can be gotten no matter how far in front we get?

Lets have a good week and a great call

Go Catters

Last edited:
Recording this week on Wednesday at 12:30pm

Questions, etc. here

Well I for 1 am sitting on the fence. Massive positive was to bang on 8 straight goals and show that the Dee’s defence could be opened up.

However to give up a 44 point lead, and find ourselves playing the only true ‘away’ final v port, the in form team of the competition, it disappointing.

Rhys Stanley played one hell of a first half, most impressive to me was him pushing deep into defence snd putting on some big spoils. Unfortunately you just can’t let your guard down v Gawn and Rhys is the best bet we’ve got in ruck

300 games for my favourite player Tom hawkins. The goal after the siren v Hawks 2012, coming of age 2011 grand final, we will truly miss him when he retires. Tom came to wannrmabool for a Maccas promo sponsorship in maybe 2014/15. He posed for photos with my sisters kids, then my mother asked him would he write a small letter for her adult son (me). The letter reads ‘dear mick, I love you, Tom hawkins’.
It sits in a photo frame in a draw along with other treasured memories. Most of my friends give me plenty over the bromance.
Anyway let’s hope port play mckenzie on him and he kicks 8.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey guys!

That was a weird game on Sat night! Very Jekyll and Hyde. Do you think that result will impact the Cats mentally? Or will the experience of the group be able to cope?

Also will Stanley be able cope with Lycett or will Sav come in to support? Selection is huge this week.

Cheers

Well I for 1 am sitting on the fence. Massive positive was to bang on 8 straight goals and show that the Dee’s defence could be opened up.

However to give up a 44 point lead, and find ourselves playing the only true ‘away’ final v port, the in form team of the competition, it disappointing.

Rhys Stanley played one hell of a first half, most impressive to me was him pushing deep into defence snd putting on some big spoils. Unfortunately you just can’t let your guard down v Gawn and Rhys is the best bet we’ve got in ruck

300 games for my favourite player Tom hawkins. The goal after the siren v Hawks 2012, coming of age 2011 grand final, we will truly miss him when he retires. Tom came to wannrmabool for a Maccas promo sponsorship in maybe 2014/15. He posed for photos with my sisters kids, then my mother asked him would he write a small letter for her adult son (me). The letter reads ‘dear mick, I love you, Tom hawkins’.
It sits in a photo frame in a draw along with other treasured memories. Most of my friends give me plenty over the bromance.
Anyway let’s hope port play mckenzie on him and he kicks 8.

IMG_2164.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the call last week, thanks. Five rounds ago we were clear favourites for the flag. What has changed? Is this just a case of things going all wrong at the wrong time I.e. having to quarantine into Adelaide, Dangerfield hand injury, Tuouhy, O’Connor, Stewart, Duncan injuries at the end of the year. How do you explain the dramatic form slump?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey Boys.... Iv got 2 questions

Gary Rohan, is there such a player who goes to water as such as Rohan when the men have to play in big games? Would you like to see Chris Scott for once and fire a bullet into the team and drop him and put the warning to the team and say if your not going to perform then any of you could be next?

2nd
If we dont win the Grand Final, this season will it be a failure? As we have recruited for the now...

But as a statement, more than a question, I admit I haven't been the biggest fan of Esava, But I would play him this week, as it keep Blitz into defence and he won't have to put him in the ruck, and hopefully Savcan open up a pack and crunch a opposition player 😉

Cheers FoxDog50

Hi all,

Recording Wednesday afternoon.

Fire away.

Kingy

Well what a Jurassic park sized turd the cats served up Friday night. Am I the only cats supporter who gets anxious when finals comes around? Cats in finals is a bit like getting a tattslotto ticket. You think this could be glory days but end up disappointed, over refreshed and angry.

How can we have so many good players perform so badly, so consistently in finals?
Henderson did the job on Dixon but gave up 3 goals thru simple skill errors which nullified any good work in his bstttle with Dixon, he moved about as quick as treacle, or myself turning for a 3rd run
Gary Rohan and luke dahlhuas offered about as much alcohol free beer.
Jack Henry enhanced his reputation, brad close didn’t do much wrong.
Where do we turn? Asking players like Narkle, Holmes, esava to come in and perform is a very big ask.
You’d hope that the players respond and I’m not sure we can play that badly again but it’s been some time since we put in a 4 qtr effort.
Regardless, questions must be asked about the coach, recruiting of players like Jenkins, jack Steven, and where to from here

Well what a Jurassic park sized turd the cats served up Friday night. Am I the only cats supporter who gets anxious when finals comes around? Cats in finals is a bit like getting a tattslotto ticket. You think this could be glory days but end up disappointed, over refreshed and angry.

How can we have so many good players perform so badly, so consistently in finals?
Henderson did the job on Dixon but gave up 3 goals thru simple skill errors which nullified any good work in his bstttle with Dixon, he moved about as quick as treacle, or myself turning for a 3rd run
Gary Rohan and luke dahlhuas offered about as much alcohol free beer.
Jack Henry enhanced his reputation, brad close didn’t do much wrong.
Where do we turn? Asking players like Narkle, Holmes, esava to come in and perform is a very big ask.
You’d hope that the players respond and I’m not sure we can play that badly again but it’s been some time since we put in a 4 qtr effort.
Regardless, questions must be asked about the coach, recruiting of players like Jenkins, jack Steven, and where to from here

Might as well add Shaun Higgins to that as well...

Hey guys,

Lachie Henderson clearly had a howler against Port but is he the most of vulnerable of the back 6? I think we were out coached to a point the other night with Allir Aliir and even Lever v Melbourne. Those two went to our smalls and hurt us. Would Esava have at least stopped this ?
Do you think the coaching staff will instruct the players to not hit Sam Taylor lace out like last time?

Cheers

CS has has said over the last 9 years each time we "disgrace" ourselves in Finals footy that you cant' compare the sides over that time as so much has changed over the years 2012 - 2021.

And hes right. Much has changed.

There is however one consistent element - CS and much of the coaching staff.

Im not suggesting that we'd be better off without him - but in 2011 a change of voice and tweaking of the existing excellence took the group to a flag.
Is it too much to suggest that with Clarko unemployed and this group closer to the end of careers than the start... that a change of voice and a tweak is needed again?

Let me be clear - im not unappreciative or writing off what CS and the group have achieved over the last 10 years. Its been unprecedented success in the face of equlaisation, handicapping and the changing landscape of the game in that time. Not to mention, we are the only team that had a period if sustained success and has not fallen away to the bottom of the ladder. It is a remarkable achievement... but my original point still stands.

Please win this week and have a great call.

GO CAtters

Haynes, Lever & Alir again. If we were to make an unlikely run to the premiership, these are the 3 interceptors we would face in the next three games.
What about the idea of moving Henderson forward as a defensive tag on these players? His stats wouldn't matter. His only job is to nullify any defensive interceptions. Henry and Blicavs to handle key defence. Also acknowledge this requires bringing in another defender such as Zach Guthrie.

What do you think Benny and Kingy?

Chris Scott keeps saying he doesn't look back whenever we got flogged in a qualifying final. Is this just a cliche, or do you think he really means it?

Well, that was diabolical. Deja Vu all over again.

I think the club in some way needs to acknowledge that it's the same players that go missing , or are at least well down on their usual output, in finals every year. And it isn't no name players either. It's blokes that should be leaders at the club.

In no particular order: Guthrie, Blicavs, Henderson, Menegola, Rohan. These blokes should be leading the way and just go missing when the heat is on.

And I know we love him, but we have to talk about Tom Hawkins. He has kicked 4 goals 10 in the last 3 qualifying finals. This is not good enough for a 300 gamer who has played countless finals.

And also Dangerfield is a worry, yes his stats in finals might be okay on paper , but no one could argue that he has the same influence in finals that he does in the home and away.

When you've got such a huge contingent of senior players that go to water under finals pressure, it makes it incredibly hard. Year after year we see this same situation play out, and nothing seems to change. The club seems set in their ways of topping up and just hovering around the top 4. Just good enough to keep the membership numbers ticking over.

It makes me incredibly worried for the future. I am too young to remember the handbagger era, but if this keeps up, we might be experiencing the reincarnation of that era. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Hello gents,
9 year's of the same stuff served up in week one of the finals has me over questioning it and just wondering when they will fix it up.
Long periods of possession football when the opposition has stepped up the pressure (finals) results in turnovers. We have many players in the team with poor foot skills, when players like Danger Mires Blitz Kolo and Bews have the ball in hand its hart in the mouth type stuff.
Have a good call this weekend and go the Cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back