News Marty Frederick signs with Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

He took a really strong contested mark up against Ebo this morning... both him and Kai look very comfortable on the track compared to most of the other new lads, obviously training throughout the year helped with this!
Were you standing near the goals this morning? I only seen 1 or 2 people lol

Were you standing near the goals this morning? I only seen 1 or 2 people lol
I moved around a bit, but yeah I was near the goals for a fair chunk of training.

He took a really strong contested mark up against Ebo this morning... both him and Kai look very comfortable on the track compared to most of the other new lads, obviously training throughout the year helped with this!

Yep there could smell the stench from our senior players last year , so no surprises they have no fear about the 1st team

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I have Martin in the 2019 Port board Buddy Draft. Time to talk him up. I only have this at present:
Nor is he related to John Friedrich of National Safety Council of Australia fame - Australia's greatest ever fraudster.

Anyone know ruffly the % of Cat B listed players that make it in the AFL ?
Depends where you are drafted as to what your base pay is. Cat A and B rookie get a base of $75k in 2019. A Nov 2018 draftee gets the following base payment, dependent on which pick he was, pick 1-20 gets $95k, 21-40 $85k, 41+ $80k

Depends where you are drafted as to what your base pay is. Cat A and B rookie get a base of $75k in 2019. A Nov 2018 draftee gets the following base payment, dependent on which pick he was, pick 1-20 gets $95k, 21-40 $85k, 41+ $80k

Cheers REH but I meant how many of these guys actually make a playing career. Although you did answer a thought I had on whether it made a difference in pay grade what number they went in the draft.

Cheers REH but I meant how many of these guys actually make a playing career. Although you did answer a thought I had on whether it made a difference in pay grade what number they went in the draft.
I missed the "it" in your question.

If 100 games is make "it" then its bugger all.

Dig your way around this site and you might get some idea.
https://www.draftguru.com.au

Anyone know ruffly the % of Cat B listed players that make it in the AFL ?

Not a lot, but that's also not really a relevant question here. Historically Cat B rookies were international recruits like Daniel Flynn who'd never so much as picked up a Sherrin before, but eligibility has increased significantly over the last couple of years. Even as recently as 2016 guys like Pudney and Frederick wouldn't have been eligible for a Cat B rookie spot.

Last edited:
Not a lot, but that's also not really a relevant question here. Historically Cat B rookies were international recruits like Daniel Flynn who'd never so much as picked up a Sherrin before, but eligibility has increased significantly over the last couple of years. Even as recently as 2016 guys like Pudney and Frederick wouldn't have been eligible for a Cat B rookie spot.
Fair point. My curiosity was more about the residence of actual numbers who go from the B cat to the big show :)

I did a quick search of when I first started talking about rookieing some tall Sudanese boys living in SA. It was 2008. Then 2009 I said we should rookie Majak Daw. In 2012 I said we should find the Sudanese Nick Naitanui, and since 2015 several posts about finding tall Sudanese players. The 2 in the AFL are both tall athletic blokes in Majak Daw at 195cm and Aliir Alliir at 194cm.

But Fredrick at 178cm is a pocket rocket and already a decent size and will only get stronger and maybe end up a ball of muscle like his hero David Rodan. If he makes it, maybe he helps open up the door for more of the Sudanese kids, as they all aren't giants.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back