Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is that how it works? What's the point? I mean we can take anybody in the known universe so long as no other club wants him and trumps the offer? I don't get it at all.

I never spent much (any) time sussing out how this academy zone stuff is meant to work though.

What's the point?

They're category B rookies, so they don't take up a spot on the list. In essence, it's free spots for indigenous / "multicultural" kids because... AFL so progressive.

Danny Allsopp? We can sign a 30 something ex-Victory striker?

The first thing I thought when I saw this topic was 'why does that name sound familiar'? Thanks for answering my question!

They're category B rookies, so they don't take up a spot on the list. In essence, it's free spots for indigenous / "multicultural" kids because... AFL so progressive.
I get that bit but I ... Okay I'm getting it better slightly now.

But how is that progressive when we can sign category B dudes who aren't indigenous / multicultural as well. Like say Joel Smith? Okay I clearly don't really get it at all.

But how is that progressive when we can sign category B dudes who aren't indigenous / multicultural as well. Like say Joel Smith? Okay I clearly don't really get it at all.

The other category B guys have to have been away from the game / out of the AFL system for at least 3 years. These guys can be picked up if they don't get drafted, so essentially it's a safety net for the "not quite" guys who miss out but are indigenous or have a funny surname / relative from some exotic country.

From my very basic understanding we were able to sign Joel Smith because he had been playing Basketball for several years, so it's basically taking someone from a different code. Same with Maynard.

The link is referring to the new academies for the Vic clubs

The other category B guys have to have been away from the game / out of the AFL system for at least 3 years. These guys can be picked up if they don't get drafted, so essentially it's a safety net for the "not quite" guys who miss out but are indigenous or have a funny surname / relative from some exotic country.
Are there rules around what is multicultural? Like first generation, second generation etc? I don't have a special issue with creating an opportunity for someone who might have missed out, but is this a real policy or window dressing? It's pretty odd anyhow.

Are there rules around what is multicultural? Like first generation, second generation etc? I don't have a special issue with creating an opportunity for someone who might have missed out, but is this a real policy or window dressing? It's pretty odd anyhow.

No idea, I only read the article provided at the top. All the prospective Category B kidlings are listed as "indigenous" or "multicultural", so it's likely John Smith with two Aussie battler parents need not apply. I'm a fan of opportunities for those who have missed out, but not on this criteria.

No idea, I only read the article provided at the top. All the prospective Category B kidlings are listed as "indigenous" or "multicultural", so it's likely John Smith with two Aussie battler parents need not apply. I'm a fan of opportunities for those who have missed out, but not on this criteria.
Smacks of a policy built around a media release, rather than the other way around as it should be. I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm just disappointed because with all the talk of zones and academies etc, I was hoping for some nice big cheating or tampering opportunities with an AFL thumbs up but this doesn't look useful at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back