Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was the one trying to give Macrae a spray? Was it one of our own teammates? Sounded like Bailey Smith.

If it was him, like HE all of all people can complain, Macrae the only player in the side that turns up each week and has one shocker and Smith who hasn’t touched the ball nor used it effectively since the Cretaceous period is giving him a spray?
I actually think it was Isaac Smith. On the surface, it did look ******* selfish - Dale was about to deliver inside 50 and had Macrae screaming for the ball so he could take the kick instead. Without being there, it's hard to get a proper view of what actually happened though. It could be that Dale had no good options and was about to be tackled, so Macrae was trying to save us from a shitty entry or a holding the ball free.

Im no fan of Ryans and would like to think my criticism here has been based purely on what I have seen on the field and not crossed the line into the truly personal.

However, any sad campaigner who would take the time to go onto his social media page and sh*t post him directly should give themselves an uppercut and can get f’ed!
Sadly, I've seen some pretty horrible comments about him (and Cordy, and a few others, actually ...) on this board.

Woke up hoping I’d have some more perspective, still absolutely fuming.

MC’s disdain for the ruck position given how well it’s worked with English up forward/second ruck is still completely baffling. They completely ****ed up last night.

Lack of composure in the last minute was so deflating but hopefully that’s a brutal lesson they’ll learn for later in the year.

Finally, Bont played well as he normally does with some real magic (the clearance break and bullet to Bruce’s chest was particularly impressive), but if he’s not practising 20-30m set shots at training this week and basically from now on until he has better muscle memory I think that’s negligent.

Um, yes. Our players did not lose that game, our match committee and coaches did. I thought we’d turned a corner with this but evidently not.

Although that last minute or two when we’re in possession in our forward half is pretty brutal from a decision making and execution perspective.
Our players didn't lose the game?

Geez, I would have thought it obvious to have more than one player within 50 metres of te ball in the backline - at the death - was the way to go.

Onfield leadership, anyone?

Definitely. Cordy should have tumbled it towards the line. Even if it's deliberate, gives us a chance to set up again. Big mistake but we made many through the match, just as Cats did. Singling one error doesn't really help anything.
He would have been bagged for giving away a free. As predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

What????

I was on here till after midnight last night deleting posts, issuing warnings and infractions and trying my hardest to clean up the board, as emotions were running high on here. We were being heavily trolled on the board and via pm's and calling out posters on old Cats threads - it was chaotic. If I somehow offered comfort to someone you dislike, then I'm afraid that's tough - I am very consistent in calling out posters who vilify and abuse players.

The fact Geelong supporters have gone all out to troll us, shows how insecure they feel after last night. If we were Norf they wouldn’t bother. They know, that drafting an old team is a huge gamble, last nights game showed them how remote a chance it is that they win the flag, if the game is only a five point win with five of our best players out, while there’s were all playing on their fortress dung heap. The cliff is coming Geelong lurkers.:cool:

Crunch time on SEN did a really good analysis of our final 1:30.

Basically, libba stuffed up by keeping the ball in play, dogs forwards by all competing for the mark at the dogs 50 and not spoiling to the boundary, and then hunter and macrae for not chasing isaac smith and the other cats players when they leaked forward.

Reckon Bevo would be tearing his hair out. Lots of basic errors by the dogs.

The Hannan knockers are a bit harsh, obviously didn’t play his game, but was played out of position as the kpf and pseudo ruck.

Made some mistakes but competed hard all night.

Sounds Ike Mark Cullen Mitch Honeychurch etc. He is not in our.best 22 not when we have the likes of Richard’s Lippa Carcia playing in the seconds

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Basically, libba stuffed up by keeping the ball in play, dogs forwards by all competing for the mark at the dogs 50 and not spoiling to the boundary, and then hunter and macrae for not chasing isaac smith and the other cats players when they leaked forward.

I’m pretty sure Libba’s decision to keep it in and centralise it was what Bevo was referring to in his first statement in the presser. Would have much preferred a boundary stoppage

Last edited:
Pissweak. You came here trying to correct someone stating a fact (whilst also re-quoting the same post on your own board so all of the other Cats fans could have a laugh at it) and were just wrong.

Oppo mods that come on here to troll should get permanent bans and be stripped of moderator rights.

One good thing to come out of last night is that it is easy to identify what went wrong and learn from it. Just hope that next time the players are composed enough to put those lessons into action.

In other news, had my first good long look at Riley Garcia on Kayo last night...really like what he brings to the table...has good footy instincts to get to the right positions, and always seems to have plenty of time with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same here.

I didn’t think English was great in the ruck, but that’s not the core issue (at least from my perspective).

Regardless of his ability, he can’t ruck the full game. This means we have Keath rucking in the defensive 50, Bruce rucking in the forward half and around the ground and even the bulldogs special - undersized mids or forwards in the ruck. Then you have the impact on the forward line where Stewart takes an insane amount of intercept marks which could have at least been mitigated by having another tall target there.

The players screwed up by missing easy set shots and not maintaining composure in the last couple of minutes. But IMO the MC didn’t put them in a position to succeed, despite all the evidence that a two ruck approach benefits the team.

The Hannan knockers are a bit harsh, obviously didn’t play his game, but was played out of position as the kpf and pseudo ruck.

Hannans game would be in the worst 20 I’ve ever seen someone play in our jumper.

Trying hard is not an adequate measure for an acceptable game.

He lost nearly every one on one contests

He lead to awful positions

He was constantly behind his man and out of position.

He kicked it directly to two cats players 50 mts on there own When he had time HAD to know none of our players were there.

it was a putrid game of footy and if he plays next week Bevo is taking the piss.

Wally showed more in half a game than Hannan has shown this year.

He is no good plain and simple. We are trying to win a flag and I’m sick of carrying these blokes HOPING they will come good

The problem is he has played like that
nearly every week for the last two and a bit seasons. When does it go from being a bad game to that's just how he is as a player?

The problem is he has played like that
nearly every week for the last two and a bit seasons. When does it go from being a bad game to that's just how he is as a player?

I think if everyone is fit (a big if) he’s not playing. Martin or Sweet in the ruck, English up forward with Bruce and Naughton and three smalls. Or even JUH at some point.

I was originally a supporter of the Hannan pick up but he’s not adding much to the team. I’d be pretty surprised if he’s in the 22 come September unless we have a few outs.

Actually this game reminds me of that game we lost to Hawthorn when we lost by three points in round 2 or 3 in 2016. Captain Bob got injured that night. It is probably the game we had to have. Loved Mclean and great to see Wallis back. Hannan is slow and not very good. we needed Sweet there. Getting Woody, Treloar and Dunkley will make us unbeatable. If we had to lose a game that will make us really hungry in September, it was this one. They cannot beat us in a final at the MCG with what they had tonight. Geelong are slow and old. We just lacked composure tonight and a bit more talent. We will learn from this one big time.
McLean was very rusty in the first half, even a more composed McLean with 5 games under his belt wins that for us.
Hannan seemed to play a third tall role - English plays that next time, with either Martin or Sweet in.

Against teams withgood intercept defenders we just have to play the three tall forwardline that has worked for us this year. Add English to that forward mix and there is no way Stewart takes 6 intercept marks in the first half.

Lets not forget we lostNaughton at half time, and Treloar and Dunkley are two A grade mids that go into that side. Last nice was disappointing but we have a lot of upside still.

I think if everyone is fit (a big if) he’s not playing. Martin or Sweet in the ruck, English up forward with Bruce and Naughton and three smalls. Or even JUH at some point.

I was originally a supporter of the Hannan pick up but he’s not adding much to the team. I’d be pretty surprised if he’s in the 22 come September unless we have a few outs.
Hannan is a catch fire player, he'll bob up for 3 or 4 against weaker sides and kick the odd freak goal. His problem has always been the defensive aspect and doing the basics. Currently he's not even bobbing up from time to time. Has to go back to VFL

Now that we have Keath, Cordy, Gardner and Wood available, any chance we redeploy Cordy to be a defensive forward? Would have been handy against Stewart and I’m hoping it’s what Bevo has up his sleeve for Lever when we play the Dees again.
Not if English Bruce and Naughton are up there. Cordy forward would mean English as the first ruck which should only be a last resort if both Sweet and Martin are injured

Hannan is a catch fire player, he'll bob up for 3 or 4 against weaker sides and kick the odd freak goal. His problem has always been the defensive aspect and doing the basics. Currently he's not even bobbing up from time to time. Has to go back to VFL

Never kicked 4 in his career and hasn’t kicked 3 since early 2018.

He is playing in a pretty good team so is getting plenty of opportunities to impact games forward abs has done nothing.

I wasn’t against bringing him to the dogs but I never understood how people could think a bloke who was struggling for games at an average Demons team would help us. He is a bust and with several in the twos showing something he shouldn’t be getting gifted anymore games off the back of his teammates efforts

McLean was very rusty in the first half, even a more composed McLean with 5 games under his belt wins that for us.
Hannan seemed to play a third tall role - English plays that next time, with either Martin or Sweet in.

Against teams withgood intercept defenders we just have to play the three tall forwardline that has worked for us this year. Add English to that forward mix and there is no way Stewart takes 6 intercept marks in the first half.

Lets not forget we lostNaughton at half time, and Treloar and Dunkley are two A grade mids that go into that side. Last nice was disappointing but we have a lot of upside still.
We need to pull off a miracle against wet toast

Can't really afford to be 1-3 from the last month

Sure Hunter might fluff his lines now and then but he bobs up everywhere - such is his capacity to cover such territory - and gets involved in so many plays it's hard to get it right every time. But his decision-making and general footy IQ is outstanding.
Hunter is bloody vital to our team.

Now that we have Keath, Cordy, Gardner and Wood available, any chance we redeploy Cordy to be a defensive forward? Would have been handy against Stewart and I’m hoping it’s what Bevo has up his sleeve for Lever when we play the Dees again.
I can see the logic, but not sure how he fits in around Bruce, Naughts and English. With Dunkley back, Bont will have a higher % forward too.

The Stewart/Lever/McGovern types can be so damaging but hate accountability, I'd try English standing shoulder to shoulder with them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back