Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't see it with Hannan either. I was watching him at Docklands hanging out the back of defenders trying to get in position for the spectacular mark, rather than get in front and use his large body to effect. He kicks a few junktime goals when we're well on top, so some on here think he's going alright.. He's Billy Gowers but with less obvious clangers, no-one's tearing their hair out about him but he doesn't add much that I can see. When you're at the ground you can see Roarke tearing around like a border collie from one contest to the next, I don't see that with Hannan.

As an neutral, we all know the ageing Cats are a five goals better side down at that little shithole ground, biggest home ground advantage in the League, they know every blade of grass down there. Doggies were very unlucky, but Cats are near unbeatable down there, they win 9 games a season there, invincible, thats what gets em into top four each season, massive home ground advantage there. Dont worry, you did fine, you will get them next time away from that peanut ground, in the Finals.

This one hurts more than the Richmond and Melbourne loses but still showed how competitive we can be if we have something approaching a best 22 come finals time.

Geelong were a lot closer to full strength than us, on their home turf, with a severely lopsided crowd, our best forward out of the game by halftime and they still only got us with a kick after the siren.

However, we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot at the selection table. We have a few too many passengers and leave too much to too few against the top teams. We all hope that we will miraculously stop doing this come finals time even though our history since 2016 suggests otherwise. Still, hope springs eternal.

Like many others I think we should have played Sweet tonight following Martin's withdrawal, and whilst it was good to see Toby back he was a strange selection straight off his injury. Roarke Smith has improved significantly but shouldn't be getting a game at the moment because he just doesn't do enough for a guy playing midfield in a finals contending team. Mitch Hannan also isn't doing enough to warrant his selection, mainly because he is a slowish small/medium forward who is currently a poor kick for goal. For him to warrant selection he either needs to do a lot more in general play or be a Dickson style dead eye dick when kicking for goal. Gardner played probably his best game for the club so I will cut him some slack tonight but I still wouldn't pick him in the 22 unless 2 of Keath, Cordy and Wood are injured.

On the bright side, Bont, Libba, and Bailey Williams were simply outstanding. Toby will be better for the run and it was good to hear that Ed Richards played well in his VFL return. It was also great to see Wallis get a game. He could have impacted the game more if people had have kicked to him when he was clear.

The future still looks bright but we can't just expect to turn it on when we want to. We also need to stop losing to the other main contenders because it could start to impact our confidence if we're not careful.

Too many times in close games we let the opposition get a quick kick out the back and never have a spare.

So predictable.
Well you miss two from under 25 out when the game is on the line and you keep conceding in the last 90 seconds quarter after quarter after quarter and the coach don't do anything to address it you end up with an 8 point premiership point difference gone down the toilet.

We've given up 13.7 in the dying stages of quarters this year. I've defined dying stages as the last 3 minutes of total time in each quarter (i.e 30 min quarter, scores from 27:00 to 30:00).

Opposition Scoring - Quarter by Quarter (Dying Stages)
Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 2.05.32 am.png

Essentially 25% of our quarters have the opposition scoring in the dying stages and they are accurate scoring at 65% compared to the AFL average at 53%. However they have scored in 5 of our last 8 quarters.

Now as for what we score in the dying stages.

Western Bulldogs Scoring - Quarter by Quarter (Dying Stages)
Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 2.23.44 am.png

So I found this surprising that we've actually scored more than the opposition in the dying stages. We've scored 16.16 at 50% accuracy which is well below the opposition and AFL average but we've done it every game and in 34% of all quarters.

So overall it's us with 32 scores to 20 but it really does feel like the opposite. I guess it helps when the majority of their scores are goals.

Normally after a loss like that I'd feel angry. I was just disappointed for an hour and then felt fine. I have a lot of faith in this team and this didn't shake it at all. Probably even strengthened it. Quite a few things didn't go our way but we fought hard and they had to be at their best to win and then only just. Next time, not at a sardine can of a ground, I won't go in expecting a loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've given up 13.7 in the dying stages of quarters this year. I've defined dying stages as the last 3 minutes of total time in each quarter (i.e 30 min quarter, scores from 27:00 to 30:00).

Opposition Scoring - Quarter by Quarter (Dying Stages)
View attachment 1158469

Essentially 25% of our quarters have the opposition scoring in the dying stages and they are accurate scoring at 65% compared to the AFL average at 53%. However they have scored in 5 of our last 8 quarters.

Now as for what we score in the dying stages.

Western Bulldogs Scoring - Quarter by Quarter (Dying Stages)
View attachment 1158471

So I found this surprising that we've actually scored more than the opposition in the dying stages. We've scored 16.16 at 50% accuracy which is well below the opposition and AFL average but we've done it every game and in 34% of all quarters.

So overall it's us with 32 scores to 20 but it really does feel like the opposite. I guess it helps when the majority of their scores are goals.

Given that our percentage is now around 144%, 16.16 vs 13.7 still means we're doing a bit worse in the last three minutes of each quarter (approx. 132%) relative to the rest of the game.

No, but a loss would have us probably hanging onto 4th by percentage

Cool. Whisker away from beating those p***** at their ground last night with Naughton down from half time.

I get the negativity, but we can win next week. No reason we can’t.

Win next week and suddenly we have North, Sydney at Marvel and Adelaide here as well. If we had been thrashed last night I would’ve understood the hide the sharp objects outlook, but we weren’t. A bit more composure in the last minute and we win. Yeah it friggin hurts, but if West Coast just roll up expecting a win, they’ve got another f****** thing coming based on last night. We can beat them, no reason we can‘t.

Cool. Whisker away from beating those p***** at their ground last night with Naughton down from half time.

I get the negativity, but we can win next week. No reason we can’t.

Win next week and suddenly we have North, Sydney at Marvel and Adelaide here as well. If we had been thrashed last night I would’ve understood the hide the sharp objects outlook, but we weren’t. A bit more composure in the last minute and we win. Yeah it friggin hurts, but if West Coast just roll up expecting a win, they’ve got another f****** thing coming based on last night. We can beat them, no reason we can‘t.
I wish I had your positivity but did you see Bevo in the presser? He was almost in tears about the fact we have to have hard quarantine for a week in a hotel. That negativity is no doubt shared by the players. Beating a full strength Eagles over there is hard enough, this added challenge makes it almost impossible in my opinion.

Which makes last nights loss even harder.

Hope I’m wrong.

I wish I had your positivity but did you see Bevo in the presser? He was almost in tears about the fact we have to have hard quarantine for a week in a hotel. That negativity is no doubt shared by the players. Beating a full strength Eagles over there is hard enough, this added challenge makes it almost impossible in my opinion.

Hope I’m wrong.
Exactly

[

Hope I’m wrong.

Do you not thing Bevo might use that as a motivator?

I‘m disappointed, we should’ve won, but f*** everyone else. It’s 22 on 22 next week and I’ll go in confident. We had a hell of a lot go wrong last night and we still had it won with 30 secs to go.

Then after that we crush anyone in our way on the road home including those Melbourne soft*****

Remove this Banner Ad

Back