News Cats charter jet to reduce travel load

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Just read the Cats this week for the first time have been allowd by the AFL to charter a Virgin jet to fly direct from Geelongs Avalon airport to Perth and return.

Its to reduce their heavy travel load.:mad::mad:

Subsidised by selling corporate sponsor seats so corporate fans can spend time with the team travelling.

So is this happening for us and the Dockers for games in Geelong and Northern Antartica?o_O:think:

Am I missing something here? What's the problem with this?
Is there something stopping us from doing the same? Or is it because it's subsidised to some degree by the AFL?

Am I missing something here? What's the problem with this?
Is there something stopping us from doing the same? Or is it because it's subsidised to some degree by the AFL?

Thats my question to our club.

Are we doing this to reduce our travel load?

Haven't heard anything.

It would be ludicrous if the Cats did this and Freo and Eagles don't.

Oh, I misinterpreted. Yep, the Eagles (and Dockers for that matter) should have made a serious lobby and push for AFL-assisted flight chartering long ago.
AFL green-lighting Geelong only bodes well for the WA clubs, so it should give them more incentive...hopefully.

Pretty sure we have asked and been told that we can't. Although I remember the explanation being that the AFL has an airline partnership and it needed to be honoured which the cats are still managing to do as it is a Virgin charter...so don't know why we can't anymore.

I've never understood why the WA clubs (and the other interstate clubs for that matter) haven't done what Geelong are doing long before now

Charter a jet to fly at the time that suits you and sell any seats not required by players and support staff as travel packages to offset the cost (there'd be plenty of supporters prepared to pay big money to travel with the team)

Cost wouldn't be significantly more than paying for seats on a commercial flight and even if it was it's not long we're struggling for coin and it would have to be more beneficial for the players

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-02/cats-to-charter-flight-to-perth-for-eagles-clash

From the article:
In 2007 Collingwood famously chartered its own flight at low-altitude coming back from Perth ahead of a preliminary final against Geelong.

In 2013 Fremantle flew direct to Avalon Airport for its qualifying final against the Cats at Kardinia Park with a bus waiting on the tarmac to take the Dockers straight to the team hotel.

No excuse for us not to do the same thing, even if we have to share it with Freo.

I've never understood why the WA clubs (and the other interstate clubs for that matter) haven't done what Geelong are doing long before now

Charter a jet to fly at the time that suits you and sell any seats not required by players and support staff as travel packages to offset the cost (there'd be plenty of supporters prepared to pay big money to travel with the team)

Cost wouldn't be significantly more than paying for seats on a commercial flight and even if it was it's not long we're struggling for coin and it would have to be more beneficial for the players

Exactly, its not like the aircraft would be half empty. Spare seats sold as a supporter travel package would be presold years in advance and at a premium.

Its not like our fans dont like travelling to watch the side and who wouldnt want to be on the plane with da boyz:thumbsu:

Our Club is pretty good at raking in the money and after we pay off the Lathlain Park Complex the next big ticket item should be like the New England Patriots have done.

Buy their own plane.

download.jpg

More leg room for the players.

images.jpg

In flight rub downs on the trip to the game.
Rehab starts in the designated areas on the physio tables on the plane trip home.

images-1.jpg

Patriots are hated, because they win so often and part of the reason they do win so often, is because of their attention to detail and getting a competitive edge by means fair and or foul....... we also have lots of " gates ". ;)

:westcoast:Eagle One:westcoast:.............. has a nice ring to it

Our Club is pretty good at raking in the money and after we pay off the Lathlain Park Complex the next big ticket item should be like the New England Patriots have done.

Look, I don't like Freo as much as anyone but to suggest we go full Hernandez on Fyfe is too far imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back