Review Cats defeat Crows by 19 at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

He won't replace Atkins. Clarke.

No one's replacing Clarke

Considering Parfitt was only called up & flew over to Adelaide after doubts emerged over Atkins availability, it would seem the MC may only see room for one of those two in the 23

I know what he means though a big reason why we didnt take grundy is because we had traded in mcintosh weeks earlier (its also why we delisted stephenson then because we had few list spots and we thought we had too many rucks). If we dont take mcintosh i reckon we take grundy.

Turns out all the other rucks we had (simpson vardy west etc right then through to abbott fort smith et al) were either too injured or not good enough. Stanley has been the best of a bad lot but we easily win another couple of flags in the last 10 years if we had grundy on the list.
Our coaching demands ruckmen run either end of the ground, 2nd, 3rd attempts. Run, run, run. That's why Stanley and Blicavs are the last men standing. We would have killed Grundy and most other decent tap ruckmen with what we expect from them.

Considering Parfitt was only called up & flew over to Adelaide after doubts emerged over Atkins availability, it would seem the MC may only see room for one of those two in the 23
He might drop back to the VFL for a week or three, he's not winning much of the footy at the moment and so a few games in the VFL to get his hands on it won't hurt him.

Parfitt deserves to play again, Hardie stuck his paw up in the twos.

Our coaching demands ruckmen run either end of the ground, 2nd, 3rd attempts. Run, run, run. That's why Stanley and Blicavs are the last men standing. We would have killed Grundy and most other decent tap ruckmen with what we expect from them.

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but with regards to the rucks, there was discussion after the game when Cornes got stuck into Stanley's game and wondered why Conway wasn't getting a go. Whateley basically said intel from the club was that the current game-plan wouldn't work with him. They're aware of Conway's potential greatness, but as an old-school 100% tap ruckman, they'll persist with Stanley (and Blicks) until it all needs to change.

His training would have been different at Geelong to develop Grundy into that role. Blitz is a freak athlete. Our rucks do lots of running. I read, a while ago, Stanley lifted the heaviest bench press at Geelong, 150kg. Grundy lifted 130kg. Grundy is an elite athlete, I reckon he could have played our ruck style.
Happy to be wrong 😊

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but with regards to the rucks, there was discussion after the game when Cornes got stuck into Stanley's game and wondered why Conway wasn't getting a go. Whateley basically said intel from the club was that the current game-plan wouldn't work with him. They're aware of Conway's potential greatness, but as an old-school 100% tap ruckman, they'll persist with Stanley (and Blicks) until it all needs to change.
It hasn't been mentioned, but to be honest I find this a bit silly. Conway would be well within his rights to leave if he's stuck behind an ageing Stanley in the VFL all year, and to be frank, his around-the-ground work seems pretty ok to me. Blicavs is 33yo in a week, Hawkins is old enough to have played FF for Jerusalem, the current ruck setup with different ruckmen in different zones isn't a long-term solution.

Would have saved 10 years of ruck problems if we just picked up Grundy in the 2012 draft instead of McIntosh
If you want to re-start 12 year debates, please use accurate details to ignite the fire.

We took Thurlow at 16 in the draft not McIntosh over Grundy. HMAC was a trade and it was awful - pick 35 I think it was

GO Catters

Would be terribly unfair on Parfitt if he was dropped after that performance. Assuming all of Atkins, Bruhn and Duncan are available then I'd be dropping Knevitt and Mullin. Rest Tuohy who was serviceable but can make way.

Would be terribly unfair on Parfitt if he was dropped after that performance. Assuming all of Atkins, Bruhn and Duncan are available then I'd be dropping Knevitt and Mullin. Rest Tuohy who was serviceable but can make way.

Atkins was a late out with an adductor issue - it doesn't sound like it was a planned rest in anyway, so wonder if he'll miss another week rather than risk a potential aggravation this early in the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird that neither he or Knevitt were already over there. Either Bruhn went over so Mullin was initially the carry over emergency or we only took 23 with us.

Don't forget that Bruhn wasn't named in the 23, so surely he didn't fly unnecessarily

I was thinking we may have taken Knevitt as the carry over due to his potential versatility should a late change be needed - or has it been mentioned he was also a late traveler?
Bruhn travelled over with the squad, as did Axe and Duncan. Tanner didn't get through their jog around Thursday at the ground and their must have obviously been worries over Atkins so Parf and Knev flew over Thursday night... And then obviously Mitch was a late call to get home Friday arvo.

I'd say Mullin was originally intended to be the travelling emergency then it all went to s**t so to speak and adjustments needed to be made on the fly

Agree

As unfair as it seems given he couldn’t have done more I suspect the MC start with the “named team” and make changes from there.

So knevitt and Parfitt are out for Duncan and atkins (and they won’t see that as a change)

From there they put in Bruhn for Oisin and have Mannagh as sub I reckon. Bowes if fit might have to come back via vfl?

Only other change I think they could make is Tony for Stanley to rest him for 5 day turnaround.

Maybe they could rest 2E or make him sub given 5 day turn around too?

This doesn't really happen. Hawkins rucks the forward line while the ruckmen rests forming a key part of the defensive wall. They do go forward when they have a mismatch, but that's more the exception rather than the rule and certainly something we could adjust with Blicavs and Hawkins in the team if a ruckmen was worth it.

Atkins was a late out with an adductor issue - it doesn't sound like it was a planned rest in anyway, so wonder if he'll miss another week rather than risk a potential aggravation this early in the season

Quite possibly and we are also still waiting confirmation of Dangerfield’s availability too.

I also thought Mullin was going to he a line breaker however in an interview with 2E, 2E said that he was a lock down player in Ireland. 2E said he got burned by teammates a couple of times when he was overlapping. Saturday morning on SEN

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
I think we see him that way eventually but early in his career we’ll have him learn defence first and gradually develop from there.

It hasn't been mentioned, but to be honest I find this a bit silly. Conway would be well within his rights to leave if he's stuck behind an ageing Stanley in the VFL all year, and to be frank, his around-the-ground work seems pretty ok to me. Blicavs is 33yo in a week, Hawkins is old enough to have played FF for Jerusalem, the current ruck setup with different ruckmen in different zones isn't a long-term solution.

Counterpoint- If he can't force his way into the team past Stanley then we shouldn't be playing him. We can't be gifting games to anyone while we are in contention, especially down the spine.

Counterpoint- If he can't force his way into the team past Stanley then we shouldn't be playing him.
I'd argue he's done more than enough to force his way past Stanley, it's just up to the MC.

The whole idea that you must be completely unmissable in the 2s to be played in the 1s is a bit of an old-fashioned misnomer, IMO - especially for the bigger guys. We've promoted guys like Hawkins, Bruhn, Guthrie etc without making them smash the door down, and reaped the rewards.

On the changes we've got a 5 day break after Hawthorn. I highly doubt we rush Bowes or Bruhn back for both back to back games. Maybe we do with Atkins since he's had less injury issues. I also doubt Clark plays full games in both.

And there's a real chance Danger is out.

So I'd be very surprised if Parfitt doesn't get at least one or two more matches.

Seeing as there’s no preview thread.

Surely we look past this week and have our midfield cherry ripe for the Dogs who’ll present a much sterner test. Give Parfitt another run, throw Mannagh in the guts, Conway to give Stanley a rest or maybe show that he can take on English. Stick with Mullin to go to Watson and stick Knevitt on a wing in the expanses of the G.

It is an ordinary Hawthorn after all.

Seeing as there’s no preview thread.

Surely we look past this week and have our midfield cherry ripe for the Dogs who’ll present a much sterner test. Give Parfitt another run, throw Mannagh in the guts, Conway to give Stanley a rest or maybe show that he can take on English. Stick with Mullin to go to Watson and stick Knevitt on a wing in the expanses of the G.

It is an ordinary Hawthorn after all.

An ordinary Hawks team beat us in our premiership year. We can’t take them for granted at all. They always get up for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back