Review Cats defeat Crows by 19 at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Our coaching demands ruckmen run either end of the ground, 2nd, 3rd attempts. Run, run, run. That's why Stanley and Blicavs are the last men standing. We would have killed Grundy and most other decent tap ruckmen with what we expect from them.

Surely you adapt your game-plan and mf setups to the personnel you have. We have rucks who are CAPABLE of running athletically all day. So that’s how we structure up. If we end up with Conway as No 1 (most likely) the game plan will accomodate the fact that we may actually win a bunch of hit outs for the first time since Brad Ottens or Damien Bourke (mind you, Bourke’s MO was to smash the ball 20 meters forward at every opportunity)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but with regards to the rucks, there was discussion after the game when Cornes got stuck into Stanley's game and wondered why Conway wasn't getting a go. Whateley basically said intel from the club was that the current game-plan wouldn't work with him. They're aware of Conway's potential greatness, but as an old-school 100% tap ruckman, they'll persist with Stanley (and Blicks) until it all needs to change.
If that's the case would we even want to change? We've been good for so long with a weak ruck, why change your whole setup based on a single position that we've never seemed to care about. He may be good but we haven't needed it in the past.

He won't replace Atkins. Clarke.

Clark i doubt gets dropped (he will only be out when hes rested) and the fact that they didnt take parfitt to adelaide in the first place is instructive.

Our coaching demands ruckmen run either end of the ground, 2nd, 3rd attempts. Run, run, run. That's why Stanley and Blicavs are the last men standing. We would have killed Grundy and most other decent tap ruckmen with what we expect from them.

Grundy is a workhorse he would have done fine with that.

It hasn't been mentioned, but to be honest I find this a bit silly. Conway would be well within his rights to leave if he's stuck behind an ageing Stanley in the VFL all year, and to be frank, his around-the-ground work seems pretty ok to me. Blicavs is 33yo in a week, Hawkins is old enough to have played FF for Jerusalem, the current ruck setup with different ruckmen in different zones isn't a long-term solution.

Its irrelevant. Stanley will probably retire at years end and isnt durable anyway. Conway will get the keys in 2025. I cant think of another side where he has a more straightforward path to the no1 ruck spot than ours.

Would be terribly unfair on Parfitt if he was dropped after that performance. Assuming all of Atkins, Bruhn and Duncan are available then I'd be dropping Knevitt and Mullin. Rest Tuohy who was serviceable but can make way.

Where does parfitt play when theres not a lot of midfield minutes though? Theres the problem.

Where does parfitt play when theres not a lot of midfield minutes though? Theres the problem.
He takes Clark's minutes, and Clark plays VFL.

It's completely fine for a 19 year old with 3 games of experience to go back to the VFL to develop when a more mature teammate outperforms them. I don't know why people think that Clark needs to play 22 games this year as a non-negotiable. You can think Clark is going to be a very good, long-term player for us who will in the long run be better than Parfitt AND think that it's ok for him to spend some time in the the VFL year, they're not mutually exclusive.

Parfitt playing depends on who is available. If we are missing 2-3 inside mids he has a chance to play but without that i just don't see it.
As Danger, Bowes, Bruhn, Atkins, Guthrie, Clark, Blics all seem to be in front of him not to mention they may well prefer to play Holmes, Dempsey, Mannagh, Duncan etc in front of him as an inside mid as well.

As much as i love Parfitt he seems to be purely depth right now.

He takes Clark's minutes, and Clark plays VFL.

It's completely fine for a 19 year old with 3 games of experience to go back to the VFL to develop when a more mature teammate outperforms them. I don't know why people think that Clark needs to play 22 games this year as a non-negotiable. You can think Clark is going to be a very good, long-term player for us who will in the long run be better than Parfitt AND think that it's ok for him to spend some time in the the VFL year, they're not mutually exclusive.
Hmm i can see your logic but look at who was picked for practice matches and round 1 and 2 before injuries and late outs..

The MC obviously see Parfitt as depth as he was only a call up with Guthrie, Bowes, Bruhn out and he still only got called up when Atkins and Duncan were late outs.

That puts him a long way back in the pecking order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm i can see your logic but look at who was picked for practice matches and round 1 and 2 before injuries and late outs..

The MC obviously see Parfitt as depth as he was only a call up with Guthrie, Bowes, Bruhn out and he still only got called up when Atkins and Duncan were late outs.

That puts him a long way back in the pecking order.
I agree with that, and tbh wouldn't be surprised if Parfitt does makes way this week.

But I think it's ok to have plans, but then also ok to change plans when you have new information. And the thing that's changed is Parfitt played a very good AFL quality game on the weekend. Realistically if roles were reversed and Parfitt had played two games like Clark did in round 1 & 2, everyone here would be calling for his head. I just think it's ok for Clark to play 10-12 games this year and spend chunks in the VFL in the interim. It doesn't mean the club doesn't rate him or think he has a future.

That said, you're right that the plan was obviously for Parfitt not be a a starting mid, and it's only one game, so maybe he's the one who needs to go back to the VFL and wait a few more weeks. But generally I think you have to reward performance.

Parfitt is a limited player but I love that he's on our list. Many players would've been down in the dumps after last year and then not playing early this year but he was absolutely ready to go.

I've got no idea what he wants from his career from here but if he's looking to go down the coaching or mentoring route I'd be more than happy having him on our list for a couple more years as depth and effectively a playing coach at VFL level most of the time.

I agree with that, and tbh wouldn't be surprised if Parfitt does makes way this week.

But I think it's ok to have plans, but then also ok to change plans when you have new information. And the thing that's changed is Parfitt played a very good AFL quality game on the weekend. Realistically if roles were reversed and Parfitt had played two games like Clark did in round 1 & 2, everyone here would be calling for his head. I just think it's ok for Clark to play 10-12 games this year and spend chunks in the VFL in the interim. It doesn't mean the club doesn't rate him or think he has a future.

That said, you're right that the plan was obviously for Parfitt not be a a starting mid, and it's only one game, so maybe he's the one who needs to go back to the VFL and wait a few more weeks. But generally I think you have to reward performance.
I posted my changes in the preview thread but i would be resting Clark this week and keeping Parfitt in as Clark who hasn't played a lot of footy in the last few years may struggle to play again off a 5 day break or the club may prefer to be cautions with him.

Danger out injured Stanley out injured/rested Knevitt and Mullin out omitted

The last out is either Clark rested or Parfitt dropped (stiff) i would rest Clark and give Parfitt 2 games in a row to make a case for himself.

In Atkins, Duncan, Bowes Bruhn and Conway

Tuohy Sub

Parfitt is a limited player but I love that he's on our list. Many players would've been down in the dumps after last year and then not playing early this year but he was absolutely ready to go.

I've got no idea what he wants from his career from here but if he's looking to go down the coaching or mentoring route I'd be more than happy having him on our list for a couple more years as depth and effectively a playing coach at VFL level most of the time.
I assume he wants to continue his playing career, most likely with an eye on another club. To do that, though, he needs to prove he's worth a place on a list, so it's imperative for him that he's showcasing his best every game.

There's never a shortage of teams looking for a new first-choice ruckman at year's end.

Yes some teams are looking for rucks at the end of most years.

But you don’t trade in a kid like Conway to plug straight into your first ruck if you’re another club.

You get someone that is more experienced and proven at the level.

Conway is in the absolute best position he can be in right now for 2025.

Stanley will go, he will be the #1 man, he is a Geelong boy, he can stay here with his family and mates and lock it up for the next 10+ years hopefully.

It’s an absolute perfect situation for him, and the surest path to a #1 ruck mantle at any club for 2025.

He probably isn’t even ready to be a #1 ruck to be honest and it’ll just fall into his lap (at his local club) due to circumstances like us having nothing else middle aged in the ruck department.

He ain’t going anywhere.

Yes some teams are looking for rucks at the end of most years.

But you don’t trade in a kid like Conway to plug straight into your first ruck if you’re another club.

You get someone that is more experienced and proven at the level.

Conway is in the absolute best position he can be in right now for 2025.

Stanley will go, he will be the #1 man, he is a Geelong boy, he can stay here with his family and mates and lock it up for the next 10+ years hopefully.

It’s an absolute perfect situation for him, and the surest path to a #1 ruck mantle at any club for 2025.

He probably isn’t even ready to be a #1 ruck to be honest and it’ll just fall into his lap (at his local club) due to circumstances like us having nothing else middle aged in the ruck department.

He ain’t going anywhere.
He's also been injured for best part of 2 years.

This isn't a scenario where he's bashed the door down his whole career and we just don't play him.

He's a very promising player who hasn't been able to display that promise on many occasions.

All going well, he'll do that this year and as you say, have the keys handed to him next year.

Not sure there's too many surprises with these votes

View attachment 1939163

Though I wonder if Scott gave Dawson the 3 votes to say thanks for helping Stewart to 10 intercept marks 😉
Shocked Matthew Nick's didn't poll votes. Was pivotal in setting up the win

Shocked Matthew Nick's didn't poll votes. Was pivotal in setting up the win

What about 1 vote for Fogarty for hitting the post and keep the game at a 3-goal margin?

He kicks that running into an open goal, Adelaide may have been very hard to stop with late match momentum & the crowd in their side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back