Review Cats defeat demons by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone naming Blicavs in our best defence clearly hasn’t watched the Cats play in the last 3 months.
True, but the way Blicavs plays he has broken the traditional positional mould. There’s no spot on the field that describes how he plays.

True, but the way Blicavs plays he has broken the traditional positional mould. There’s no spot on the field that describes how he plays.

And ain't it grand.
I'm going to call him gopher position -go for this, go for that, depends on who we play.

We are at a good place, struggling to fit in many good players into our best 23.
But I really believe in one week at a time, and that every game from here on in is a challenge.
Carlton first up- at their best, they are the most fun and exhilarating team to watch, and we will need to be on.
I will be a believer for sure if we beat Saints and Carlton.
Port, WCE, Doggies we have already handled.
That means only Freo has not been our victim, and the more scalps we have before a prelim, the more faith I have
Do you think we NEED to have a loss?
7 in a row now.

Thought we felt a lot of perceived pressure for much of the night, which led to poor disposal or decisions. It was like they were expecting a repeat of the PF last year. Melbourne's pressure was good for a large chunk of the game early I thought, but there were numerous occasions where we had time to assess and execute with more composure than we did. Definitely an area we can improve going forward.

He's playing as a genuine utility, in a role that's benefiting the team which has him playing some really solid & consistent football, which likely has him top 3 in our b&f

Love how he's combining the midfield work, helping Rhys in the ruck, getting into dangerous positions up forward (though would be good if he was more reliable kick for goal) and still able to drop back into defence when needed - that all adds up to not carrying a player purely to give a chop out in the ruck when they're not necessarily playing at a level keeping them in the side without those few minutes a quarter in the ruck

Jfi, what do you think of our draw? Can't recall exact order, but not what I'd call that easy.
Not being unreal, but
Carlton- MCG- 50/50
Port- away- 50/50
Saints- home <60/40
GC- away 60/40
Dogs- home 60/40
WCE- home 70/30
I think we’ll be challenged by Carlton. Our win against Melbourne will make them want to show everyone that they can beat the new ladder leader.

But, I think this win would have really galvanised us. The extra day will be good for us and Hawk, Cameron and Stengle won’t have 2 quiet games in front of goal. Henry/Curnow will be such a good contest.

I think we won’t take the foot off the brake. We’ve already shown ourselves that we can win when we have Stewart, Danger and Selwood out. And against good opposition too.

We’ve let young players come in and they’ve been steady. Overall - the self belief and attitude is looking promising to me.

Utility player.... can play anywhere needed.
Follower / On-Baller would be best way to describe where he plays.
Ruck : When he takes the hit out at stoppages.
Tagger : If he has a direct opponent to mind.

A unique name because of his extensive abilities would be :- Ultra Mid

Watching some of the post game videos the past few days.
There is something more that a simple win about this game.
It's not just relief to have made amends for last years finals.
Just like when they finally defeated our nemesis Richmond, 2 years ago.
We have beaten them every game since then.
It's mental expunging of all previous self doubts.
Knowing it can be done and what is required.
They have gone up a mental level and there will be no going back.
There is genuine sense of self belief in this Cats team.
A belief that they can go all the way.
That is half the battle won.... the inner battle.
The other half is on the field.

I was absolutely impressed Cats, pressure took the Demons down, and the big forwards weren't involved in that much scoring, but look
as a traditional enemy , I think that this is your year, I look at your stalwarts , the older warriors and I think there is not much time.

And Geelong are looking very dangerous, its been 2011since your last flag but your club is never missing , messing some one up, you deserve to grab another flag with what I reckon is your last shot for a while before re starting and blooding new players.

I have to say I curse your boys when they beat us, but hell , I've got lots of respect for your mob even your coach, who I love abusing, heh heh.

I enjoy watching the Cats play and Melbourne as good as they are weren't good enough, all the best, really good game.

Watching some of the post game videos the past few days.
There is something more that a simple win about this game.
It's not just relief to have made amends for last years finals.
Just like when they finally defeated our nemesis Richmond, 2 years ago.
We have beaten them every game since then.
It's mental expunging of all previous self doubts.
Knowing it can be done and what is required.
They have gone up a mental level and there will be no going back.
There is genuine sense of self belief in this Cats team.
A belief that they can go all the way.
That is half the battle won.... the inner battle.
The other half is on the field.
I remember watching my side lose to your team in ROUND 17 , 2008, I think by 5 points,
But I knew that we would beat you if we got into the GF, I saw what I call a massive need in the younger blokes as well as the older like Crawf etc,
well Friday night I saw a team have that same need , and carry that through to the last day, with the experience you've got and the quality
(maybe some playing at the end times) but this is it I reckon.

Just how you said this was more than just a simple win, is why my memory of 2008 round17, came to mind, it had a feel.
I am not bulldustin.
I got several people I said this to back then, I just felt it.

Wanting it bad enough is the key for teams and everyone has to be on board. Better get it done maybe last go.
My mob will be watching on only, unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching my side lose to your team in ROUND 17 , 2008, I think by 5 points,
But I knew that we would beat you if we got into the GF, I saw what I call a massive need in the younger blokes as well as the older like Crawf etc,
well Friday night I saw a team have that same need , and carry that through to the last day, with the experience you've got and the quality

Just how you said this was more than just a simple win, is why my memory of 2008 round17, came to mind, it had a feel.
I am not bulldustin.

Wanting it bad enough is the key for teams and everyone has to be on board. Better get it done maybe last go.
Yeah thanks we still have a few fans in therapy from 2008 lol

I am not bulldustin.

We walked away from that rd 17 game with a win, but it wasn't emphatic. It was the first time for many weeks that a team had our measure. Then in September, your form was better than ours, and we lost players in the Saints final. On GF day, really warm, I had that sinking feeling that our fairy tale season was about to end unhappily. Your team really deserved the win. We were not complacent, just off.
Dew epitomised the difference in the teams.

My take away from Thursday is that the Dees are gettable. While we won’t play them in a final at KP, stats like clearances and contested possessions are not venue-dependent. The mids dominated in these areas. I think this is down to how the club has managed Danger and Selwood’s minutes. Guthrie is also back to 2020-type footy and Atkins in the guts has been a revelation.

I don’t think the game was played quite at finals intensity, but nevertheless our pressure was excellent. Melbourne’s forward line is currently a little dysfunctional, but to keep them in check without Stewart and Kolo is still nothing to sneeze at. I love watching SDK going about it.

This year certainly feels a little different to other recent years. Some new faces have added something different and the club is managing senior players better IMO. I think we are yet to peak.

Utility player.... can play anywhere needed.
Follower / On-Baller would be best way to describe where he plays.
Ruck : When he takes the hit out at stoppages.
Tagger : If he has a direct opponent to mind.

A unique name because of his extensive abilities would be :- Ultra Mid
Ruckamidbackforward

So if Ceglar puts together a few more good games in vfl does he coming in and play ruck with Stanley and leave blitz to pure utility? Rather than see cegs as back up or replacement of Stanley?

Issue is even if that made sense it adds another (good) headache as to who misses out. We already have probably 3 to come back in and cegs would make MC look for 4 outs!

This “problem” is exactly what a contender needs. If you include Stephen’s and others we might have 6 players out of the team who we might have thought or hoped was best 22 a couple months ago.

Might be getting time to update that game of a forum trying to pick out best 23 for finals. 🤔

Worried about too having too much momentum?
I said it earlier before we played the Dogs. I couldn’t care less about wins and losses. I was just really enjoying how the team looked happy and fresh. I liked seeing the young players and older players gel as a team. I liked having a less experienced set of assistant coaches and a dedicated tactics and analysis coach.

I remember Tuohy saying after the saints loss, the fans may not see it, but the team was doing a lot right and it would come together.

I don’t worry about wins and losses or momentum or even premierships. I like where the club is heading and when it all connects then success comes naturally. When you want stuff too much, it never works out. There’s too much stress and pressure.

I am not bulldustin.

Great comparison actually. The Hawks in 2008 and the Cats in 2022 have alot in common.

Two big gun forwards, an unbelievable small forward at the start of an immense career. A smart team of coaches. Steady veterans. Very interesting.

So if Ceglar puts together a few more good games in vfl does he coming in and play ruck with Stanley and leave blitz to pure utility? Rather than see cegs as back up or replacement of Stanley?

Issue is even if that made sense it adds another (good) headache as to who misses out. We already have probably 3 to come back in and cegs would make MC look for 4 outs!

This “problem” is exactly what a contender needs. If you include Stephen’s and others we might have 6 players out of the team who we might have thought or hoped was best 22 a couple months ago.

Might be getting time to update that game of a forum trying to pick out best 23 for finals. 🤔
Ceglar is Stanley backup only. Best result for us is he plays out the year in the VFL and is available if Stanley is injured at any stage.

Do you think we NEED to have a loss?
7 in a row now.
tbh having one or two losses wouldn't be the worst thing psychologically. Best case scenario for mindset would be close game where we win general play but lose through inaccuracy. Would boost confidence in the gameplan while taking the pressure of a long winning streak off before finals.

Ceglar is Stanley backup only. Best result for us is he plays out the year in the VFL and is available if Stanley is injured at any stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's given a senior match later in the season for a couple of reasons:
  • give Stanley a week's rest/managed treatment
  • exposure at senior level with the team, should be then be called upon in a worse case scenario

I wouldn't be surprised if he's given a senior match later in the season for a couple of reasons:
  • give Stanley a week's rest/managed treatment
  • exposure at senior level with the team, should be then be called upon in a worse case scenario
Yep, don’t mind that either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back