Review Cats defeat demons by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is Duncan's highlights & we've seen a few replays is of the Hawkins tunnel ball, but happy to see this clip also show the Stanley toepoke through the legs which started the passage

According to rules, in ruck contests you cannot block the opposition ruck's path to the ball drop. If you watch where Hawkins stepped in front of Gawn and physically engaged him, and then where the ball fell that is the reason why he was whistled. Rhys Stanley sometimes gets done for it in center bounces when runs under the ball but puts his arm out and his hand blocks the oppositions ability to get to the ball drop.

Whether or not that is paid consistently correctly across a season no idea.

Now you've been learned on one of the mystery sources of ruck free kicks.

I know this is Duncan's highlights & we've seen a few replays is of the Hawkins tunnel ball, but happy to see this clip also show the Stanley toepoke through the legs which started the passage

Given Duncan's failure to kick an easy one previously, plus several ugly errors in play, it was great of Close to handball to Mitch I thought. Duncan was determined to redeem himself, ran for the play, and got some renewed confidence.
In all the jubilation and positivity of the win, we've been very tolerant of the three easy misses directly in front, elephant in the room.
Hope they practice, because I never want to sit amongst an MCG pond of 80k Richmond scum again, and watch Red Rohan do what he did.

Given Duncan's failure to kick an easy one previously, plus several ugly errors in play, it was great of Close to handball to Mitch I thought. Duncan was determined to redeem himself, ran for the play, and got some renewed confidence.
In all the jubilation and positivity of the win, we've been very tolerant of the three easy misses directly in front, elephant in the room.
Hope they practice, because I never want to sit amongst an MCG pond of 80k Richmond scum again, and watch Red Rohan do what he did.

I saw it in post match highlights but haven't seen it in posted clips - just before Close handballs to Duncan, you can see Lever who's standing on the mark turn his back on Close & looks to be conversing with a teammate closer to goal

With Lever not paying attention to Close, he uses that time to handball to Duncan who in turn can take a couple of extra steps as Lever has no idea what's happening

I saw it in post match highlights but haven't seen it in posted clips - just before Close handballs to Duncan, you can see Lever who's standing on the mark turn his back on Close & looks to be conversing with a teammate closer to goal

With Lever not paying attention to Close, he uses that time to handball to Duncan who in turn can take a couple of extra steps as Lever has no idea what's happening

Well there you go, not picked up on the TV- nekminit ball was sailing through and thinking, that doesn't look like Close. Had to wait for the second camera angle to see it was Duncan from the hand pass, NFI who let him off the chain. Poor camera work.

yep, that behind the goal camera view showed it.

was a good moment

This.
Pressure pressure pressure..
finals ,finals, finals.
A few of our key goal kickers are shaky. Especially in close, when it counts.

Usually agree with your take on things Cursed.
In this case I can see your point about Cameron being in a lot better shape physically/aerobically this season.
But in this game I thought he really struggled to even hit a target in the first half. And he wasn't winning his own ball under pressure either by working up the ground. These were largely uncontested possessions.
The big worry for me is he's not a real contested ball winner, so how's he going to influence a tight pressure-like final? Maybe in one or two moments where he finds space and can drill a long goal that no-one else would even try?
My point is unless he's on song with his kicking, he just doesn't look like influencing things. He does the high degree difficulty things extraordinarily well, but the smaller more basic 1 percenters (that you need all 22 doing to win a big final) not that well.
That's just my view anyway. I know it's not necessarily shared by many. Here's hoping he's won me over by the end of the season.

I have reservations too Standup so I don't think we're miles apart on Cameron - his greatest asset to the team is his clinical finishing, when he's not getting shots on goal and making them then he's not the type of KF a team can really structure up around like Hawkins (or Tom Lynch).

And I also agree with you that while he found a little bit of ball in the midfield last night against Melbourne, Cameron did spray it around a bit.

However when he got it right he was incisive and really cut through Melbourne's defenses, and while I further agree with you that he is not a contested ball winner, he won't have many nights where he is as erratic in terms of his skill execution as he did last night.

I like the fact that he can find uncontested possessions up the ground, especially if he is using it well (which he usually does).

I'd like to see him influence a high pressure game sometime soon, but a game like last night kind of minimizes his worst form, if I am making sense - if that's his worst game then I thought he still did some handy things.

For mine the recent expansion of his role is the best way forward.

I have reservations too Standup so I don't think we're miles apart on Cameron - his greatest asset to the team is his clinical finishing, when he's not getting shots on goal and making them then he's not the type of KF a team can really structure up around like Hawkins (or Tom Lynch).

And I also agree with you that while he found a little bit of ball in the midfield last night against Melbourne, Cameron did spray it around a bit.

However when he got it right he was incisive and really cut through Melbourne's defenses, and while I further agree with you that he is not a contested ball winner, he won't have many nights where he is as erratic in terms of his skill execution as he did last night.

I like the fact that he can find uncontested possessions up the ground, especially if he is using it well (which he usually does).

I'd like to see him influence a high pressure game sometime soon, but a game like last night kind of minimizes his worst form, if I am making sense - if that's his worst game then I thought he still did some handy things.

On a lighter note, the man has golden legs, golden feet. But I've seen fatter legs on a crayfish, so I'm almost wincing when he's anywhere near the crush of centre bounce. Don't get me wrong, the skinny muscled ones (think Michael Tuck) are hard to play and he must be so strong. Just a bit of preservation when he himself says he doesn't know what he's doing in there. Haha!

I wouldn't be surprised if he's given a senior match later in the season for a couple of reasons:
  • give Stanley a week's rest/managed treatment
  • exposure at senior level with the team, should be then be called upon in a worse case scenario

Yep id do that for the trip to adelaide.

I said it earlier before we played the Dogs. I couldn’t care less about wins and losses. I was just really enjoying how the team looked happy and fresh. I liked seeing the young players and older players gel as a team. I liked having a less experienced set of assistant coaches and a dedicated tactics and analysis coach.

I remember Tuohy saying after the saints loss, the fans may not see it, but the team was doing a lot right and it would come together.

I don’t worry about wins and losses or momentum or even premierships. I like where the club is heading and when it all connects then success comes naturally. When you want stuff too much, it never works out. There’s too much stress and pressure.
What a brilliant and refreshing way to support. Really positive way to look at it all.

I guess we'll find out soon enough when finals come around. I think it was Hardwick after our game against them who mentioned something like its hard to tell him and Smith apart. Those raking kicks from the left side do add something different to what we were in 2020.

On a lighter note, the man has golden legs, golden feet. But I've seen fatter legs on a crayfish, so I'm almost wincing when he's anywhere near the crush of centre bounce. Don't get me wrong, the skinny muscled ones (think Michael Tuck) are hard to play and he must be so strong. Just a bit of preservation when he himself says he doesn't know what he's doing in there. Haha!
One of my favourite CS quotes this year was about Cameron. The coach said he had learnt a thing or two from the star recruit, such as the value in not overthinking things. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we'll find out soon enough when finals come around. I think it was Hardwick after our game against them who mentioned something like its hard to tell him and Smith apart. Those raking kicks from the left side do add something different to what we were in 2020.

Yeah agree with that too, Standup - the dark hair, the left foot and the single-digit number on the back of the jumper.

yeah I dread any below the knees contact for Cameron too - dark memories of Gary Rohan's horror incident when he was with the Swans.

still luv hearing the angst in the commentators.. all of them... seeing we are still a chance here.

GO Catters

have we had any games this season with all of Henry, Stewart, Bews, Kolo, Zuth, MOC, Tuohy in the same team?
And how did we go?
They are all in my 23.

FB-Bews Blicavs Kolo
HB-Henry DeK Stewart
C-Tuohy Selwood Duncan
HF-Close Cameron Danger
FF-Rohan Hawkins Stengle
R-Stanley CGuthrie Atkins
i/c Holmes Menegola Parfitt Smith
sub- ZGuthrie
em- MOC, Miers, Ratugolea etc
I like your team except I'd bring in Zuthrie for Kolo and Miers for Menegola. Ceglar played well in the 2s on Friday, 20 disposals, several clearances and 36 hit outs. I think he'll get a game in the next couple of weeks. I think it will be horses for courses depending on who we play. I think you can make a case for Menegola, Miers, Kolo, MOC and Zuthrie. I think Esava will be put on ice for this year. Injuries will also play a part. For tthe first time in years I think we have depth to cover them.

tbh having one or two losses wouldn't be the worst thing psychologically. Best case scenario for mindset would be close game where we win general play but lose through inaccuracy. Would boost confidence in the gameplan while taking the pressure of a long winning streak off before finals.

I wouldn’t mind a loss if it exposed an as yet unidentified weakness which can be covered by finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a brilliant and refreshing way to support. Really positive way to look at it all.
Easy to have this attitude when we’re lucky enough to have a team that wins games every season and gives us hope. In turn, as a supporter, I can actually trust them to do the right things on and off field. And to entertain me.

Im not an expert, I’ll leave it to the experts - they’ve done a pretty good job since I’ve followed them (from the 80s). They won’t get it right 100%, and sometimes it’s just not our day. but I’ve always been proud of the way the team has tried it’s hardest no matter the personnel of situation. I think we’re a very lucky bunch of supporters to have the Cats as our team.

Usually agree with your take on things Cursed.
In this case I can see your point about Cameron being in a lot better shape physically/aerobically this season.
But in this game I thought he really struggled to even hit a target in the first half. And he wasn't winning his own ball under pressure either by working up the ground. These were largely uncontested possessions.
The big worry for me is he's not a real contested ball winner, so how's he going to influence a tight pressure-like final? Maybe in one or two moments where he finds space and can drill a long goal that no-one else would even try?
My point is unless he's on song with his kicking, he just doesn't look like influencing things. He does the high degree difficulty things extraordinarily well, but the smaller more basic 1 percenters (that you need all 22 doing to win a big final) not that well.
That's just my view anyway. I know it's not necessarily shared by many. Here's hoping he's won me over by the end of the season.
I’d say that Cameron offers the same thing as Blitz and Menegola up the field - a great get out jail hit up kick. He’s bloody tall and will mark most one on ones against non defenders.

It just helps us manage our structure when you have a good matchup in our favour that completely throws off the opposition.

And he’s an gun kick who gets the ball to the right spot very quickly.

Wow - we’re the only team to have done that in the last 15 years - and we’ve done it three times!
I'd say it's because we have been in most 1 v 2 match ups in the past 15 years. Probably nearly all of them

We walked away from that rd 17 game with a win, but it wasn't emphatic. It was the first time for many weeks that a team had our measure. Then in September, your form was better than ours, and we lost players in the Saints final. On GF day, really warm, I had that sinking feeling that our fairy tale season was about to end unhappily. Your team really deserved the win. We were not complacent, just off.
Dew epitomised the difference in the teams.
Yes indeed Stewie Dew, just that part he played when it could have slipped, remember you always have to rate your opponent , after 2007 GF we were pretty damned frightened of you folks, it was a one go only on the right day for us, young players a couple of old heads, just went that way, but we have some dream games over the decades, 1963 we were just not up to the standard, 1989 and Gary Ablett Snr I thought we were gone, and you were a very hard team back then, so we snuck an extra , but like to see it happen because I think you may not be far from losing some older experience.

It plays havoc, and I think when our guys were knocked out in the last minute in 2016 I think, when Isaac Smith missed a shot, you've got him now and doing well too, we lost a good chance, if I remember rightly you guys played Sydney, we sort of had the wood on Sidders that year in general, I reckon we could have gone on and beaten Sydney, who knows from there. but weren't good enough the game a week or so earlier,

Any way good luck , and I better get off here or I'll be hunted down by Hawks for a tar and feathering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back