Status
Not open for further replies.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
You might be right actually.....because now that i think about it more it might have been in a reserves game with Turner. There was a season where he did get dropped, perhaps '82 or '83 when we weren't playing that well. It could have been the match in 1980 where Ronnie kicked it. I guess old age catches up with the memories a bit.

Do you remember Glen Middlemiss - boy did he have some dirt in him

Middlemiss was like Ablett Snr in one aspect - in that he would the grab the ball and with one hand/arm hold it to his chest - and with the other free arm crunch some poor bloke with an elbow

A game at Coll - Middlemiss was playing FF for the Cats - got the ball - held it to his chest with his left arm - and with his right elbow absolutely crunched Wearmouth

Poor old Ronnie - he did get the free kick - plus a blood nose .

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I can see them winning all 3 comfortably - they wernt disgraced Rich - with JK who is very important to them

Eagles will beat Dogs and Saints in a canter . Ess with Danniher - maybe the Dons have got a flukers hope of an upset

Rich are a very very good side - Geel would want to improve alot on last night
Not so sure about the Saints, they are still a good side. More of a chance than the Bombers. One game doesn't erase their flaky season so far, in my opinion.

But I agree about the WB. We took the wind out of the dog's sails, and I just can't see them beating a Natainui led midfield with English or Dunkley stinking up the ruckwork for them.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It was the Dahlhaus Gang that worked us into and kept us in the game.

Their work has been responsible for a good 50% of our goals this season.

Nuh Fred can't quite agree on that, l'd say it's big Tom then daylight followed by Rohan, big Danger, big Rhys Stanley, big Menners folowed by a few little tiny players.

I was wrapped in Dahl all the same, he was copping a bit of crap on here lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
The ability to get out of the whole is great... but the worse part is knowing we still have the ability to get in it first..... #staringatroof.

GO Catters
I have it on good authority that the team had instructions to give the Dogs a 6 goal head start for practice, in anticipation of our upcoming finals campaign.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Lets not get carried away regarding Rohan. Injuries to Wood and Vandermeer meant he was very lucky with the match up on Gardner and was able to get 2 goals because of it.
Wood and Vandemeer would have made very little difference when it mattered.

Wood and Vandemeer weren't stopping Rohan at 13:10 in the last quarter when he came from nowhere to mow down English who was about to take a shot at goal unopposed from 40 out. Game changer.

They weren't stopping the goal he kicked around 11:55 either. Neither have the pace to have stayed with him. Another key goal and play.

At the 10:00 mark, neither would have prevented Rohan bolting 30 metres to put pressure on an open Keith mark, causing a fumble and preventing a quick entry into their F50. Hunter eventually kicked the goal, but through no fault of Rohan's effort.

And neither would have beat him to that critical 50:50 on the hbf flank at the 4:30 mark, when the game was in the balance at 61-64 and the dogs were pressing. Nor would either have been able to stop him taking two more bounces and gaining another 120 metres onto our half forward flank.

And lastly, the goal he kicked at the 50 second mark to seal the game. It was a ground ball. He found space. He would have done exactly the same to either Wood or Vandemeer, because they might have beaten him in the air, but not on the ground.

And for what it is worth, Rohan repeatedly beat himself in the air, with concrete hands - so your estimation of either Woods or Vandermeer's influence is far more overstated than anyone else's opinion of Rohan's influence.

Edit, just to point out I am only mentioning Vandermeer at all, a what 15 gamer, because you thought to bring him up. It's ridiculous that you think he would have done any better than Gardner.

Last edited:

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Wood and Vandemeer weren't stopping Rohan at 13:10 in the last quarter when he came from nowhere to mow down English who was about to take a shot at goal unopposed from 40 out. Game changer.

They weren't stopping the goal he kicked around 11:55 either. Neither have the pace to have stayed with him. Another key goal and play.

At the 10:00 mark, neither would have prevented Rohan bolting 30 metres to put pressure on an open Keith mark, causing a fumble and preventing a quick entry into their F50. Hunter eventually kicked the goal, but through no fault of Rohan's effort.

And neither would have beat him to that critical 50:50 on the hbf flank at the 4:30 mark, when the game was in the balance at 61-64 and the dogs were pressing. Nor would either have been able to stop him taking two more bounces and gaining another 120 metres onto our half forward flank.

And lastly, the goal he kicked at the 50 second mark to seal the game. It was a ground ball. He found space. He would have done exactly the same to either Wood or Vandemeer, because they might have beaten him in the air, but not on the ground.

And for what it is worth, Rohan repeatedly beat himself in the air, with concrete hands - so your estimation of either Woods or Vandermeer's influence is far more overstated than anyone else's opinion of Rohan's influence.

Edit, just to point out I am only mentioning Vandermeer at all, a what 15 gamer, because you thought to bring him up. It's ridiculous that you think he would have done any better than Gardner.
Losing both players resulted in having to move others around. Rohan getting an ideal matchup was the result

Must be some star this Rohan... I have no doubt he is a big game player and dominates in finals football..

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Losing both players resulted in having to move others around. Rohan getting an ideal matchup was the result

Must be some star this Rohan... I have no doubt he is a big game player and dominates in finals football..

Humble in victory and gracious in defeat never does you any harm IMHO.

I thought Beveridge talked up being 2 down for part of the game a little too much - came across as poor culture although I understand he's a "players coach"
What would we have said if Scott bragged about how good we were when we beat the Lions 2 down , or how much more we would have beaten the Dogs if we hadn't played our worst quarter of the year?
At the end of the day the game has been played , the result is on the scoreboard and you move on to the next game hopefully having gained something whether you win or lose.

PS - Do you get any enjoyment out of supporting this fantastic Team? :rolleyes:

Hahahaha,...that's all you got? Talk about desperate to diminish....eat some Rohan humble pie mate and move on.

Given the support for your point of view, do you have a soccer ball called Wilson?

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hahahaha,...that's all you got? Talk about desperate to diminish....eat some Rohan humble pie mate and move on.

Given the support for your point of view, do you have a soccer ball called Wilson?
Same thing was said last year about Rohan. Look how that turned out

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

Well you can only beat the opponent you are given. But you should really question your devotion as a fan when you have to imagine an alternate reality so that you can justify saying Rohan was overrated.

Even so, you have completely missed the point, might I say?

None of those key moments and plays in that last quarter would have been prevented if Woods or Vandermeer had not left the field.

So if you are going to invent false narratives, at least try one that isn't so easily discredited.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Well you can only beat the opponent you are given. But you should really question your devotion as a fan when you have to imagine an alternate reality so that you can justify saying Rohan was overrated.

Even so, you have completely missed the point, might I say?

None of those key moments and plays in that last quarter would have been prevented if Woods or Vandermeer had not left the field.

So if you are going to invent false narratives, at least try one that isn't so easily discredited.
"easily discredited" is his schtick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Daylight robbery.

When Partridge quotes tackles and touches we need to remember this game as a marker of the influence Rohan can have without many stats.

Please do. And don't stop.

I'm not going to trust him until he delivers under finals pressure. Be joyously happy to be proven wrong - as I'm sure you will be.

The only thing I see stopping us from being a very, very good chance at a premiership now is finals composure. I'm sure plenty of others did expect it, but I didn't. The addition of Stanley and Henderson has transformed the stability of the team.

The only serious contenders are Richmond and West Coast. Richmond showed what West Coast look like away from Perth, and this year Richmond seem more likely to drop games they really shouldn't. They lost comfortably to Hawthorn, St.Kilda, and Port. So we'll see.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

with Rohan it’s important to understand his strengths and weaknesses. He is essentially an undersized key forward with incredible speed and strength.

If you attempt to play him as a half forward he often will have minimal impact as he doesn’t read the general play very well.

you need to essentially give him two roles to watch him thrive

1. Play him as a key target inside fifty and have the players look for him as a target and get it frequently to him. He is very dangerous one out and makes defenders uncomfortable and often draws 2-3 defenders and allows other forwards to swoop.

2. when he is not competing for marks inside fifty, instruct him to do whatever necessary to apply pressure to a situation of play.

keep it simple like this and he can do serious damage.

try and get him to run around the ground on the outside gathering disposals, linking up and influencing contests around the ball and you will get no where with him... he is not a general reader of the play.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
with Rohan it’s important to understand his strengths and weaknesses. He is essentially an undersized key forward with incredible speed and strength.

If you attempt to play him as a half forward he often will have minimal impact as he doesn’t read the general play very well.

you need to essentially give him two roles to watch him thrive

1. Play him as a key target inside fifty and have the players look for him as a target and get it frequently to him. He is very dangerous one out and makes defenders uncomfortable and often draws 2-3 defenders and allows other forwards to swoop.

2. when he is not competing for marks inside fifty, instruct him to do whatever necessary to apply pressure to a situation of play.

keep it simple like this and he can do serious damage.

try and get him to run around the ground on the outside gathering disposals, linking up and influencing contests around the ball and you will get no where with him... he is not a general reader of the play.
Fair call.

I think that is what they are doing. Rohan isn't a ball getter. In the clinches he fumbles a bit (a good example against the Dogs in the last quarter on the wing). He is a receiver, and a very fast one at that.

Speed gets you far, very quickly. But it doesn't do much for congested situations when you have the ball in hand. His goals and possessions are based on situations where he can either outmark, or outrun, or frees from tackles - and the rest of the game he is hunting the opposition if they get their hands on it.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Fair call.

I think that is what they are doing. Rohan isn't a ball getter. In the clinches he fumbles a bit (a good example against the Dogs in the last quarter on the wing). He is a receiver, and a very fast one at that.

Speed gets you far, very quickly. But it doesn't do much for congested situations when you have the ball in hand. His goals and possessions are based on situations where he can either outmark, or outrun, or frees from tackles - and the rest of the game he is hunting the opposition if they get their hands on it.

he is probably a player who is not a superstar because of his poor reading of general play. It is a weakness and that’s ok. His ability to get himself involved in a game and the right positions to get the ball is poor. If it was good he would be a top ten player in the AFL with his abilities.

he is someone you need to deliver the ball to and let him go to work on it. We have done this effectively since retugolea went out of the side

Sep 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I rarely post on this forum anymore. I’ve followed Geelong for 40 years. In my youth, I had the privilege of going to home and away games every week all across metro and regional Victoria. Senior was the man. I worshipped him. Attended the 89, 92, 94 and 95 GFs (unfortunately, no cigar).

I discovered this forum in 06 when I moved to Sydney for work purposes. I admit that I was extremely frustrated after the 04 and 05 seasons and our performance in 06 led me to write emails to the club outlining my frustrations. One such email was actually published in the book ‘Comeback’ by James Button (a great history on the ups and downs of following the GFC).

I’m eternally grateful to admit my criticisms were corrected in 07 and the following 5 years were the most enjoyable from a supporters perspective. I was grateful beyond belief. I still have mates who support the Dees and Saints who would trade this form line in a heartbeat. I remember thinking I’d never see a premiership so I know their thought process.

The lasts 8 years have seen us fall short but I’d like to think I’m an astute judge of football, and I don’t think we’ve underachieved. In fact, for the list that Scott has had, I truly believe he has done well to see us compete year on year. Sure, I too questioned the role of Blitz in last years prelim, but we were three goals up at half time.

Given so many have been quick to pot C Scott, I’m amused this year (and other years) that his critics also fail to acknowledge the win-loss ratio he has achieved in arguably the most challenging season on record. Let’s instead throw stones at the record of someone who regularly gets us to the pointy edge.

No doubt his critics will be quick to circle should we fall short in Sep/Oct. I too will think it may be time for a change. 8 years without success is a long time for some. But the thing that really shits me is the lack of credit afforded to him by his critics. Name another coach who could have done better whilst turning the list over almost completely from the one he ‘inherited’. Clarkson? Yeah, look how he’s gone since ‘15. Straight sets finals exits and bottoming out. But yeah, C Scott has underachieved, Right?

I’ve just started reading that book. What page do you feature on? Also ageee C Scott deserves credit. Would have won in 13 with a fit ruckman and a fit Hawkins and then followed the curse of the small forwards... you need luck to win it, but keeping the window ajar is an amazing effort given the list turnover. Only swans and hawks have been comparable in staying up.... not anymore.

Sep 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Just thinking with Gary Rohan, last year he started the season in great fashion, but i really think the two concussions he suffered seriously affected his game afterwards, he's a player who puts so much in with his running and crashing, pressure etc, that he just couldn't get that edge quite back after the two hits, and they took a toll on him big time.

This season though he's now back to his pressuring best, and that last quarter's effort was just inspirational to see, and so good that he was able to get on the end of a couple to goal. The tackle on English late was just amazing, almost like Corey's smother on Bryan, and at almost the same point on the ground too.

If he stays fit, he's a big weapon for Geelong, and as someone else said, opposition kick-innerers know they are on dicey ground if they play on and Rohan's manning the mark. It's rarely a kick straight down the ground for sure. And Dahl's selfless tap on deserves immense credit, created a goal and showed amazing courage.

Yes, definitely wasn’t fit 2nd half of the season, the two Gary’s were a massive part of our fwd line firing, but both were cooked in the 2nd half of the year... circumstances this year should work in their favour for a if finals.
Love Rohan’s rundowns, worth his spot just for that. The English one and others always make me think of this

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Yes, definitely wasn’t fit 2nd half of the season, the two Gary’s were a massive part of our fwd line firing, but both were cooked in the 2nd half of the year... circumstances this year should work in their favour for a if finals.
Love Rohan’s rundowns, worth his spot just for that. The English one and others always make me think of this

Hadn't seen that myself but yep, come up and hits the opponent instantly.

By the S.R, happy birthday for tomorrow....gee 58, getting on now as us fans of your play in the 80's now are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back