Review Cats defeat Doggies by 22 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oisin, what a great speedy find, those stocky legs on a a 6ft frame. More experience with the pace, lower trajectory on the oval ball and we've got a beast.
Hope they bring the hot girlfriend out to keep him happy.
Or boyfriend lol

But I’m sure either way he will be happy with his opportunities here

We can't have it both ways as in wanting stars to return while resisting omitting others.

Thus Mullin will make way even though he showed lots of promise - Scott has always respected seniority.

One of Mark OC, Tuohy or Bews could make way. The forward 6 would appear to be set, bring injury.

I'd be a bit surprised if Knevitt goes out; he was very impressive on Saturday. Atkins stays, so they might look at Bruhn, though he is another who doesn't deserve to be omitted.

It's just conceivable they'll omit Ceglar but that would put huge pressure on Blicavs.

Simpson falls out of calculations with the return of better players.

I'd expect us to pick our absolute best available team the next 2 weeks. We need 2 wins to have any chance of pushing for top 4.

Mullin, O Henry, Bruhn, Knevitt and Ceglar are the 5 under pressure I'd say. Bews is the only senior guy who I think has been struggling enough to come under pressure but I expect them to back him in.

Ceglar is really a question of structure more than anything. I could see us leaving him out against PA who don't have a big second ruck and playing on the bigger ground. But I'd expect him to play against Melbourne.

So I'll say for Port:

Ins - Danger, Holmes, Duncan, Bowes
Outs - Ceglar, O Henry, Mullin, Knevitt (sub)

Scott had a good week! Credit where it’s due…
1. Calling out the players for being passive… good
2. Selection integrity… dropping Parfitt while still missing Paddy…. Good
3. Pre dogs game… states we have the players to win and we don’t focus on who’s out… we focus on what the players in the team can do… very good! (Hint some can learn from this one)
However there is one more he needs to do… O.Henry selection integrity… it’s time for the tap on the shoulder!

Proove it - what do they both weigh - and not at the start of the year - right now

I reckon Mihocek is now 105-110 kg - he is amonster forward now in size

Prior to the start of the season, Mihocek was listed at 99kg

There's no way a player in season is putting on 5 - 10kg

Titus review.

Western Bulldogs (75) v Geelong (97)

The Western Bulldogs are allergic to defeating the Cats.

The Cats have won 17 of the last 19 games, and even the Bulldogs interesting tactic of not kicking any goals in the last quarter didn’t work.

And the Bulldogs form has been so much better than the Cats, and Geelong was coming off three losses in a row.

But none of that mattered, as the Cats just keep finding a way.

A big part of that way was Tom Stewart, who was the rock countless Bulldogs waves crashed upon.

Sure, the Bulldogs could have tried to kick the ball where Stewart wasn’t, but where’s the fun in that? Better to kick it to him every time.

The disappointing thing for the Dogs, was they were just a goal down at three-quarter time. Poor goalkicking was the one thing stopping them leading.

So to then have Geelong kick the final six goals and not kick one yourselves is a capitulation that would have had the Italian Army in World War Two shaking their heads.

I'd expect us to pick our absolute best available team the next 2 weeks. We need 2 wins to have any chance of pushing for top 4.

Mullin, O Henry, Bruhn, Knevitt and Ceglar are the 5 under pressure I'd say. Bews is the only senior guy who I think has been struggling enough to come under pressure but I expect them to back him in.

Ceglar is really a question of structure more than anything. I could see us leaving him out against PA who don't have a big second ruck and playing on the bigger ground. But I'd expect him to play against Melbourne.

So I'll say for Port:

Ins - Danger, Holmes, Duncan, Bowes
Outs - Ceglar, O Henry, Mullin, Knevitt (sub)
And who exactly do you plan on rucking?

Blitz with SDK giving a chop out. Hawk handles F50.
Omg the opposition would love that. Dekonning is our best key defender, young and with a recent facial problem. Not to mention that sav, our only other tall defender is also out injured.

Blicavs cant hold his own in the ruck against main rucks other then in the last qtr when the taller ruck gets too tired to jump anymore and has played ok recently as a mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omg the opposition would love that. Dekonning is our best key defender, young and with a recent facial problem. Not to mention that sav, our only other tall defender is also out injured.

Blicavs cant hold his own in the ruck against main rucks other then in the last qtr when the taller ruck gets too tired to jump anymore and has played ok recently as a mid.
we may not have a choice if stanley doesn't get back and ceglar is cooked.

And who exactly do you plan on rucking?

The same guy we've rucked every time Ceglar and Stanley haven't played in the last 2 seasons. Blicavs.

Blicavs has been number 1 ruck 5 times in the last 2 years. We're 5-0 in those games (Sydney and Essendon this year and GWS, Adelaide and...Port Adelaide last year). Essendon and Sydney are clearly our 2 best performances this year and those wins last year came in the first half of the year when we were often struggling. There's no evidence the team gets worse with Blicavs the number 1 ruck.

Last year against Port Adelaide in Geelong we had no Sav and no Jack Henry. So we'll be 1 key defender more this time making it easier.

They'll have a very similar side in terms of talls except presumably Lycett instead of Hayes and Lord or maybe Dixon instead of Georgiades.

Let's not pretend rucking Blicavs is some wild arse crazy idea that we've never seen before and should absolutely not be considered.

Titus review.

Western Bulldogs (75) v Geelong (97)

The Western Bulldogs are allergic to defeating the Cats.

The Cats have won 17 of the last 19 games, and even the Bulldogs interesting tactic of not kicking any goals in the last quarter didn’t work.

And the Bulldogs form has been so much better than the Cats, and Geelong was coming off three losses in a row.

But none of that mattered, as the Cats just keep finding a way.

A big part of that way was Tom Stewart, who was the rock countless Bulldogs waves crashed upon.

Sure, the Bulldogs could have tried to kick the ball where Stewart wasn’t, but where’s the fun in that? Better to kick it to him every time.

The disappointing thing for the Dogs, was they were just a goal down at three-quarter time. Poor goalkicking was the one thing stopping them leading.

So to then have Geelong kick the final six goals and not kick one yourselves is a capitulation that would have had the Italian Army in World War Two shaking their heads.

Don't get a lot of exposure to Titus over here - pity that.
I loved it in 2021 when the Dees finished top of the ladder and he pretended they had won the Flag - when reminded there was a Finals Series to come - " Finals , what are they? "

Western Bulldogs v Geelong​

10 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
8 Tim English (WB)
5 Caleb Daniel (WB)
5 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Brad Close (GEEL)
1 Tom Atkins (GEEL)

Western Bulldogs v Geelong​

10 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
8 Tim English (WB)
5 Caleb Daniel (WB)
5 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Brad Close (GEEL)
1 Tom Atkins (GEEL)

Love seeing Gryan in the votes

Especially alongside Close & Atkins

Love seeing Gryan in the votes

Especially alongside Close & Atkins
I assume Cats gave Close the 1 (he did what they wanted from him) and bulldogs Atkins (for the tackles)

a bit easier this week to predict who have what…can be too far different to below

cats. 5 Tom 4 English 3 Miers 2 daniels 1 close
dogs 5 Tom 4 English 3 daniels 2 miers 1 atkins

I think you'd build a more solid defence around Kolodjashnij & J. Henry and both have repeatedly shown an ability to stand up under pressure when playing as KPDs

At this stage I wouldn't call Ratugolea a KPD - I know he's 198cm, but right now he looks stronger as an intercepting style defender who's more suited as a tall flanker. I don't see him as a player you build your defence around, rather he's a player who compliments others

No doubt Ratugolea's shown good signs this season, but for the strengths he's shown we have others in the team who are stronger in those same areas. It wouldn't be the worse thing for him if he went back to the VFL and had to opportunity to work on different aspects of his game - just as we see with others when given a shot at the senior level, but then first choice options return
Sav is the defender equivalent of Josh Jenkins.

With their height and build, you think you're getting a key position player...when really you're getting a marking flank player.

Nothing wrong with that, as Sav has performed admirably and JJ was a very good player at his peak....but it means you need to tinker with selection a little bit.

At this stage of their development, I don't think we can play SDK, Sav, Kolo, and J Henry in the same backline...and at this point in time, I'd be going with the backline that won us a premiership over the experiments of this year.

It doesn't mean Sav's papers are stamped, he's hardly put a foot wrong...but we looked so solid on the weekend, with Tommy returning to his hall of fame best after being let off the chain.

If we're going to go on a run this year, that will be the backline that launches it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back