Review Cats defeat Doggies by 22 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Stanley’s issues, the obvious solution is to move Esava into Stanley’s role last year. Which was effectively, ruck, then drift back and help out our defence. The role was pretty clearly defined last year, and Esava can slot into that.

His 12-months in defence has improved his reading of the game, and he will much better suited to this role now.

He actually could be quite a weapon, you get the intercept marking, without playing on their most dangerous forward.

Given Stanley’s issues, the obvious solution is to move Esava into Stanley’s role last year. Which was effectively, ruck, then drift back and help out our defence. The role was pretty clearly defined last year, and Esava can slot into that.

His 12-months in defence has improved his reading of the game, and he will much better suited to this role now.

He actually could be quite a weapon, you get the intercept marking, without playing on their most dangerous forward.
It's not the worst idea.

I kind of like this. It's viable with Dangerfield and Holmes back so that Blicavs can step in for some ruck contests (Sav a kick behind the play). How long is Ratugolea out for though?

It makes sense on paper.

It could help Sav make a decision to leave easier though... but I'm really not sure what our plans are for him going forward with a full team or even what Sav is thinking/wanting to do long term.

But on paper that move makes sense.

Last edited:

Sav could share the ruck with Blicavs but at 197cm is 5 to 10 cm shorter than most other ruckman.

Except stanley is a decent centre bounce ruckman and esava has terrible centre bounce technique. We cant give up clearances under 6-6-6 like that. Nice solution in theory but in practice doesnt work.

I'd think Sav will be in our best backline. SDK and Stewart are there. Not sure about the rest. I cannot work out how Stanley fits in, he'll have his hands full trying to nullify the better ruckmen in the comp. Are you suggesting Stanley will address the problem of having an undersized center half back like Kolodjashnij or Jack Henry?

Were Kolodjashnij & Henry undersized last year?

And regarding Stanley, we likely revert to a similar ruck set-up as last year with Stanley taking centre bounces, and during general play he dropped back while Blicavs dropped back

Its better than ceglar tho. This is break glass in case of no stanley solution.
Ceglar has been good as a ruckman from the naked eye.

Really feels like there's some confirmation bias going against Ceg's over recent times - I had him in the votes during a few matches

I'm not sure he was at his best first up, but he seems to have improved with each game, rather than tiring out as many have expected to have happened

I know he's unlikely to be first choice ruck if Stanley's available, but if he had Dangerfield, Guthrie & even Holmes joining him at centre bounces, I wonder if he would be getting a bit more love as he would have had a more structured midfield group around him compared with the patchwork group we've been working with

He's a much better tap ruckman than Rhys, and that's been evident over the past two months. But Rhys is far superior around the ground, and we saw how influential English was last week in that area of the game. Rhys give us that which Cegs doesn't.

He's a much better tap ruckman than Rhys, and that's been evident over the past two months. But Rhys is far superior around the ground, and we saw how influential English was last week in that area of the game. Rhys give us that which Cegs doesn't.
Which makes it so strange that the club has reportedly offer Darcy a big contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which makes it so strange that the club has reportedly offer Darcy a big contract
Darcy gets around the ground much better than Ceglar and impacts far more too.

Ceglar is great when the ball is within arm's reach and a liability outside of that. It's not his fault his body just looks shot and he's battling on solidly. He's done a job to give us a chance of winning the last few games. But he's definitely not in our best 22.

Darcy gets around the ground much better than Ceglar and impacts far more too.

Ceglar is great when the ball is within arm's reach and a liability outside of that. It's not his fault his body just looks shot and he's battling on solidly. He's done a job to give us a chance of winning the last few games. But he's definitely not in our best 22.
My point was that Stanley far better around the ground as Darcy, so it seems strange to me that he’s being targeted as that seems to be what the gameplan is centred around

My point was that Stanley far better around the ground as Darcy, so it seems strange to me that he’s being targeted as that seems to be what the gameplan is centred around
Last time we played them in Perth we won easily but Darcy killed Stanley. Killed him around the contests and killed him around the ground. That was just after his 23rd birthday which is very young for a ruck. Stanley definitely has better running power but Darcy is a special player at his best.

Its better than ceglar tho. This is break glass in case of no stanley solution.

Ceglar can at least break even at centre bounces and you can plan around it. You cant plan around sav getting slaughtered at centre bounces.

Darcy looks like a fat dude but he actually gets involved in play a lot around the ground compared to cegs and he is good up forward.

I would leave SAV down back. Part of the reason he has succeeded down back is due to the ball coming to him and he being able to generally.go straight ahead. I would put SDK into Stanley's role. I think he would be better suited to it.

As a few posters alluded to in this thread - Geelongs historical domination of Footscray/The Western Bulldogs

I stumbled upon this match summary - quite colouful from The Age July 18 1960

" Geelong fumbled amd scrambled more effectively than Footscray to win by 27 pts in a dreary match at KP"

" The margin could have been many times greater for the home side although well below its best it clearly outclassed the Bulldogs - it was faster- had at least twice as many effective players and better system"

"But instead of winning by the length of Bourke St - the side fiddled and flashed away its chances "

So you could say in 60 years nothing much has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back