Review Cats defeat Saints by 45 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to make arguments for things that didn’t happen.

In order to make AA playing 17 games you need to have at least 12-13 top notch games (ala SJ 2007). He has about 10. It won’t be enough.

Is this part of the problem of folks referencing fantasy football scores to determine a players value in a particular game?

Stewart had high scoring games earlier in the season against both Hawthorn & St Kilda, but I didn't really rate him highly in either of those matches - his 4th quarter against Hawthorn wasn't very good, while against the Saints he just looked off where he was making sloppy errors & dropped probably 7 or 8 marks that we'd normally see him take

He's also then had games where he was just quiet & not really needed to do much, such as against GWS

I find it hard to see how he breaks into the AA team based on the season he's had and the games his missed

Meh, people can check in and out of BF as they wish.

That's right.

Life / health / family / work all exert a myriad of demands that are far more important than living on BF, and in any event BF simply isn't an all consuming must, or need, for a lot of people.

Varying degrees of tolerance for other posters can also influence the need for interaction here. Some can't deal with criticism, some can weave their way past 'those' posters, some can't, and some just can't be bothered with the effort.

It's the mixing pot that makes BF what it is.

On the completely off topic chat Re: AA
I see Blicavs as in.
Stewart will go close.
Hawkins and Cameron have to get passed Curnow.

So I’ll go for Blicavs, Cameron.

Oh dear. I love Zuthrie too, but this has to be one of the silliest comments I have seen. Zuthrie can play hbf. That's it. He isn't a shadow of Duncan, come on man.

Would have agreed with you last year, but Duncan has lost a yard in both pace and kicking penetration this year. Still a good player and excellent user of the ball, but he isn't 2020 Duncan anymore.

Was a selection schmozzle early...

"Ins out and late changes

Made it thru with 4 points and no real injuries to speak of

Pretty much the perfect result.

Kolo and Close got wins in their milestone games.

Started a little bit whiffy.. probably expected... but then got it done in the back half of the game

Stengle, Kolo. Zuthrie, Stanely, Miers, Atkins Henry, Parfitt, all good.

SDK just does SDK things

Holmes really getting better and better

Got some peeps a week off which cant hurt.

13 of last 16 seasons Top 4 finishes.

64 points and 137% Just remarkable and whilst it aint always panned out the way we've wanted..
Apparently we can’t play at the G and especially in September, let them and the demons continue to be favourites.
They’re still talking up Collingwood and talking down Geelong.

They’re still talking up Collingwood and talking down Geelong.
Let them, let the pies, demons and tigers talk themselves up, let’s just keep getting a Win each week and see what happens.

I see Blicavs as in.
Stewart will go close.

Stewart and Cameron are the two walk-up starts for mine. Both pretty much the best in their respective positions.

If they pick a third tall forward - which they shouldn't - then Hawkins is it. He's put enough ground between himself and Tom Lynch, Tex Walker for mine.

Blicavs might be in as the second ruckman, but only if the AA selectors don't pick two out-and-out ruckmen.

Stengle an outside chance for a small forward spot. Charlie Cameron is a lock, as is Isaac Heeney. Probably down to Stengle, Fritsch and Greene for that last spot, with Shai Bolton as the midfielder/half-forward.

I see Blicavs as in.
Stewart will go close.

Hawkins and Cameron will both make it as should Blics. Hawkins and Curnow will take FF-CHF roles and Cameron will take a flank with how much he has gotten around the ground this year and Blics will take a spot on the bench as a utility.

Stengle, SDK, and Stewart for the squad.

Miers had time off injured I think Close has played every game . Duncan yes… maybe rest 8-10 players. Tom and jerry a spell…

Are you a complete nutcase?

You have been saying for 6 weeks that it’s a flag or fail. Which is completely idiotic.

And now we are cruising. And winning form is good form.

In a best case scenario we will have 5 games in 7 weeks. That’s a heap of rest time.

Zero rest from now.

All valid points re Menegola. Id add his running ability up and back to that as well.

The gear grinding for me comes with the same method in which he gets caught with the ball. He cant adjust his kicking mechanism to suit direct pressure - meaning his routine never adjusts to suit the environment. Some players are better at it than others - see Atkins, Close, Sel and Guth for example.

its a small thing but when he gets caught with it generally its the same process that sees him get done....hes in the clear.. takes his 3-4 steps to kick and they close him down.

Small thing really... but his game would have less criticism IMO if he were able to adjust it.

Go Catters

That is an astute post and 1000% accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok so how do you fit everyone in the team? you cant play 25.

if you are positive on these players it must mean you are more negative on others compared to me.

Thats a very good point - alot of posters are saying all these certain players have to be in the team - but do you fit them

If push comes to shove - Kolo might miss out - because there is only 22

Menengola has got points - and some average points - now Geel are building up a very strong side - then maybe Menegola is the sub - he would be fantastic - he could have a dozen possessions in a qtr - can play multiple positions - good height - and a booming kick

The selectors - picking those last 3-4 spots - as Bart Cummings once said to his staff - dont bother agreeing with me - because ive already changed my mind - and that will be the Geel selectors - they will change their mind quite alot in trying to pick that best 22 - when the finals begin

Theoretically 4 blokes have to be squeezed in to that team! See, Danger and Blitz, and I daresay they'll want Rohan in too.

Dal goes out. Menegola probably - he got touches but turned it over. After that......?

I would suggest a defender will miss and I don't think it will be Zac Guthrie, who takes marks and is a very good kick of the gonad.

I'm not going to mention any more possible outs because every player has his defenders and I'm enjoying my day.
O’Connor

Hawkins and Cameron will both make it as should Blics. Hawkins and Curnow will take FF-CHF roles and Cameron will take a flank with how much he has gotten around the ground this year and Blics will take a spot on the bench as a utility.

Stengle, SDK, and Stewart for the squad.
C.Guthrie should make the squad too.

O’Connor
Kolo been good of late, Zac getting more and more of the pill and using it well. Henry showing his forward swing versatility. Bews, Stewart and Tuohy are virtual locks.
and then we have Merrick, just going at best.
Scott May value his ‘versatility‘ but must be under some selection scrutiny surely?

Feel free to make arguments for things that didn’t happen.

In order to make AA playing 17 games you need to have at least 12-13 top notch games (ala SJ 2007). He has about 10. It won’t be enough.
Will get the squad but the month off means he'll get overlooked IMO.

doing detailed reviews of BLitz's running patterns lol

But honestly I have no idea. Hope he's well but he had posted on several occasions that footy was no longer a focus for him - his words not mine.

GO Catters
Cool thanks. It popped into my head that I have not seen him criticising on here lately

Haven't read the entire thread yet so no idea if this has been mentioned, but I have to give Dahl huge credit for last night.

He knows he won't be there in September, or next year, but to come in at literally the last minute off no preparation and to perform the way he did shows not only the character of him as a player, but the culture at the club. He put his body on the line all night like his life depended on it, but played his part and had what I thought was a pretty solid outing. If it's his last game for the club he can hold his head high.

It's players like him that make good football clubs.

Quite an enjoyable night last night really, good start.. We started the 2nd just over cooking a few possessions and they got back in it a bit but the most frustrating part of the quarter and all night was that rodent Matt Stevics insistence in paying free kicks against us when he was 100m away from the play.
I said to a mate I was with that one thing I noticed this year is how well we seem to adjust during breaks, I am battling to remember us having 2 bad quarters in a row (especially the last 2 months)

Sure enough we righted the ship in the 3rd and completely shut them out, lesser likes seemed to all have really good games, team especially in the 4th seemed to be covering the group really well... Fffaaaaarrkkk there are going to be some unlucky players miss out because all of Sel, Danger, Blitz and Rohan come back in... Rohan has his knockers and rightly so, but he's playing a pressure based role this year and with less expectations on him to be the one the try get in the end of it I think he's been really good.

I have zero idea who makes way, this team has completely blown my expectations and thoughts before the season away and I couldn't be more delighted by it

Are you a complete nutcase?

You have been saying for 6 weeks that it’s a flag or fail. Which is completely idiotic.

And now we are cruising. And winning form is good form.

In a best case scenario we will have 5 games in 7 weeks. That’s a heap of rest time.

Zero rest from now.
You watching games now are ya or mowing the lawns during cats games? It’s all about the QF now… matters little about the result in round 22 against the GC. They’ve played with each other for so long now I’m sure they know what they’re doing… but yes maybe game time is preferred to resting. Make your point in a less combative way would be better probably…
You on the deca flag or still squibbing an actual opinion btw?

Lever and May.... Moore at Pies....

I didnt see your post but IMO SDK makes the AA squad but not the team

GO Catters
There's no way Moore has had a better season. Where's that graphic of goals conceded by defenders?

Here's a few rambling, disorganised thoughts:

I love that this team is backing their system. When the Saints got the ascendancy in the 2nd quarter they really threw everything at us but, because our game plan is solid and the Cats players had the confidence to stick to it, the Saints could not make it count on the scoreboard. They won the quarter four goals to two, so really had little to show for all that effort. In previous years we've had to put up with Scott seemingly refuse to make the changes than needed to be made when we were getting flogged, and sticking to that heinous chip-chip-chippy-chip nonsense. Now we're seeing that investment pay off: our players are well drilled in where they need to position themselves, there's no panicking when the other mob are starting to get on top around the ground.

Jack Henry playing the Blitz role was pretty good, but he's no Blitz. It's nice how much versatility he gives us though.

I find it hard to pin down exactly what O'Connor's role is. It must be some positional chess grandmaster thing Scott's got going on, because MOC was pretty influential last night without getting huge stats; he just kind of lurked around but the whole rest of the defensive team seemed more cohesive because of it.

I liked Dahlhaus's game. He's got no real prospect of being best 23 once Selwood, Blitz, Dangerfield, and Rohan are back. But I thought he was an important part of the midfield lineup last night and played very well. It's nice to have that kind of depth. And if he's not playing for a spot in the 23, he's at least gone ahead of guys like Narkle, Higgins, Simpson, Stephens as the first guy picked if a midfielder gets injured.

Menegola is a weird-looking unit and I just figured out why- his head's tiny.

Hawkins seemed to be playing from in front more than usual. I like it.

Sam de Koning is fast becoming one of my favourite players. He reminds me a little bit of a blond, ruckman-sized Harry Taylor. He doesn't just beat his opponent, he has a good feel for tactics beyond the immediate one-on-one contest. It's noticeable mostly in when he chooses between going for the mark or the spoil.

I mentioned it in a previous thread, but Stanley is playing in a more balanced way this year. In previous seasons he'd be a bit timid one week and then way too aggro the next. He's more controlled and consistent this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back