Review Cats defeat Saints by 45 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry haven't read whole thread, but is Dangerfields calf injury going to see him out for a few weeks?
I understand that amputation surgery is scheduled for tomorrow

Sorry haven't read whole thread, but is Dangerfields calf injury going to see him out for a few weeks?
Considering he left the ground the week prior v the Dogs with 10 minutes to go in the final quarter to have his left shoulder assessed by the club doctor and not return I very much doubt it will be a calf that sidelines him:)

AFLCA votes:

6 -
Max Holmes (GEEL)
6 - Brandan Parfitt (GEEL)
6 - Sam De Koning (GEEL)
5 - Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
4 - Isaac Smith (GEEL)
2 - Zach Guthrie (GEEL)
1 - Sam Menegola (GEEL)
"If Atkins is in, I don't see how Parfitt has a role anymore"

"The role is to be equal best on ground as a midfield bull"

"Oh okay"

"If Atkins is in, I don't see how Parfitt has a role anymore"

"The role is to be equal best on ground as a midfield bull"

"Oh okay"
Not having a go at the #30. He's been sensational. But if you were only choosing one of that duo for the games to come based on their performances against the Saints, it's Brandan by the length of K.P.

The squeeze for spots is on in earnest.

And this guys been in pretty good form over recent times

Miers for me makes selection tricky. Menegola, despite his couple of gaffs, had a very strong game. However we do have a few decent wingers so with a full squad, maybe Menegola is more a half forward. He has a very different skill set to Miers but if the latter was out of form, you could see Sam replacing him.

Maybe both make it and Rohan misses out. But Miers defensive positioning/pressure and creative offensive ability are an asset to the side lately.

Or maybe Scott's doing what we'd expect from a coach and publically support his players - that doesn't mean a certain player is going to be contention for senior selection though

Ratugolea has played in defence the last two weeks in the VFL, so a complete change of role - it would be very surprising if he was suddenly selected in the seniors as a forward or ruck option

I'd rather see Scott showing support for his players; the alternative of something like, "Ratugolea's a nice guy, but we don't see him as being in our best team" sounds a lot off
Absolutely. He must, and has always publicly supported the players; that stuff is unconditional (except if you are Mark McVeigh).

Just don't think that he should be pumping up the tyres of players that are struggling for form and can't crack a game in the firsts... particularly in a post match presser, after a win. It just seems a bit disingenuous to me and a touch of bathing in your own bathwater.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Scotty and can handle a smidgeon of hubris. 11 straight wins and a reasonably healthy list heading into another finals' campaign is something he and the coaching group should be proud of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe Scott's doing what we'd expect from a coach and publically support his players - that doesn't mean a certain player is going to be contention for senior selection though

Ratugolea has played in defence the last two weeks in the VFL, so a complete change of role - it would be very surprising if he was suddenly selected in the seniors as a forward or ruck option

I'd rather see Scott showing support for his players; the alternative of something like, "Ratugolea's a nice guy, but we don't see him as being in our best team" sounds a lot off

Only thing worse than seeing a coach pot players is seeing off-field management pot the coach

I liked Jack Henry’s second ruck work. Shows how versatile he is.

More humble pie for me to swallow re Meirs. My main problem with Gryan was his kicking but he dished off beautiful passes in the last two weeks. Real transformation from first half of the season!
Given his unorthodox kicking style, maybe we underestimate how long it took him to recover from the 2021 foot injury.

We can afford to rest him last 2 games, which will be a 3 week break with the bye

Miers for me makes selection tricky. Menegola, despite his couple of gaffs, had a very strong game. However we do have a few decent wingers so with a full squad, maybe Menegola is more a half forward. He has a very different skill set to Miers but if the latter was out of form, you could see Sam replacing him.

Maybe both make it and Rohan misses out. But Miers defensive positioning/pressure and creative offensive ability are an asset to the side lately.
Miers is bets 22 when he plays like he has lately and i would be dropping Gola first.

I really like our forward group of Hawkin, Cameron, Stengle, Close, Miers and Rohan and think that is our forward 6 we should go into finals with.

Gola is fighting for a spot with Holmes and Smith for mine and i prefer those 2

Must try and work out my best 22 + sub but I think our part of our preferred structure is for a 3rd tallish forward - we saw Henry in that role with Rohan out - I think Rohan gets that role when fit , Henry back to defence and Blitz relief rucking to support Stanley.
Rohan is playing slightly higher up the ground on occasion now but is still very valuable when close to goal both as a threat and for his insane pressure. I think his pressure will be an asset in the Finals.
Fitting Danger, Selwood and Rohan into the team is going to see some undeserved misfortune hit 3 players.
From Saturday Dahl is obvious but from there it becomes very difficult.

We called instantly that the Stanley sub out was sus.

I said a few days ago that the club could look to manipulate Danger playing his 300th at home in r23.

I'm calling the Danger late out is sus as well.

Got no issue with it though... Just not surprised at all... Already there is talk that he is ok for next week.
I agree. It is very clever pre-planned tactical management strategy.
If you are upfront about managing star players, it provides them ammo..
e.g. Cats thinks we are so bad they rest players against us... we'll show them.
Making a late change instead, stops their pre-planning and gives them false relief instead... win-win
Like wise by pretending players are returning from injury is also a means of "foxing"... win-win-win
Art of War : "When you are strong make them think you are weak."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back