Review Cats down Bombers by 28 points - Tomma has 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staggering to think we never achieved this under Bomber.

Also interesting to note that the five teams listed there were respectively premiers, prelim finalist, premiers, premiers, prelim finalist :eyes:

Three teams in history have scored 20+ goals for five successive weeks:
  • South Melbourne in 1934 (Rounds 11-15 - Bob Pratt kicked 9, 8, 11, 11, and 12 goals in those games)
  • Geelong in 1989 (Rounds 6-10)
  • Geelong in 1992 (they did it 6 weeks in a row, Rounds 3-9 including a bye)

Might as well share it here also

What an impressive player Zach is turning into

He's come a long way from the 19 yr old who got slammed following this mis-match - I still remember being at that game & how a few of his senior teammates seemed to escape some flack when they were the ones playing off their opponents, leaving the youngster to try & cover them

1682932119767.jpeg

Watched the first half replay so far- what a good team we are. Was great to see an open, flowing game from both teams- pleasure to watch. Everyone was just running everywhere, all the time!
Pleased by the hard work from everyone, and how well they are working together, helping each other, chasing everything down.
Apart from the obvious standouts, Ollie Henry is smart, and has great, fast hands. Blix having a very good year. All the young guys have really stepped up. Playing with confidence and purpose. Love watching this team.

Last edited:

He's come a long way from the 19 yr old who got slammed following this mis-match - I still remember being at that game & how a few of his senior teammates seemed to escape some flack when they were the ones playing off their opponents, leaving the youngster to try & cover them

View attachment 1675752

That is the particular play I had in mind when I posted above. When I saw that i thought "wow". He is becoming more and more like his mentor TS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:

Is it? I mean, Scott has always been the more attacking coach…

Sport Fish GIF by Outside Watch

Three teams in history have scored 20+ goals for five successive weeks:
  • South Melbourne in 1934 (Rounds 11-15 - Bob Pratt kicked 9, 8, 11, 11, and 12 goals in those games)
  • Geelong in 1989 (Rounds 6-10)
  • Geelong in 1992 (they did it 6 weeks in a row, Rounds 3-9 including a bye)
Clearly we should conclude from this and Swamp’s stat that the sweet spot is between 120 points and 20 goals. Any more and you won’t win the flag. ;)

View attachment 1675752

Been a while since their first whacky Wednesday

1682937159905.png

That is the particular play I had in mind when I posted above. When I saw that i thought "wow". He is becoming more and more like his mentor TS.

For our first two finals last year I sat behind the goals, so had a good look at things straight down the ground

I remember against Collingwood, late in the match (can't quite remember if it was before or after Holmes' goal) and the ball had gone out of bounds outside of Collingwood's forward 50

It was Zach who was directing traffic, making sure matchups were as needed and the right guys dropping into the holes - he may have racked up 50 career games, but there was still fans who looked at him as being on the fringes, but in that passage he looked the general down back & a future leader of this club

I don't know if he'll necessarily be one that does get a formal leadership role at the club, but I can really see him as the heir apparent to Stewart as our general in defence - and being 5-years younger than TS, he could well be the right person at the right age to step into that role

For our first two finals last year I sat behind the goals, so had a good look at things straight down the ground

I remember against Collingwood, late in the match (can't quite remember if it was before or after Holmes' goal) and the ball had gone out of bounds outside of Collingwood's forward 50

It was Zach who was directing traffic, making sure matchups were as needed and the right guys dropping into the holes - he may have racked up 50 career games, but there was still fans who looked at him as being on the fringes, but in that passage he looked the general down back & a future leader of this club

I don't know if he'll necessarily be one that does get a formal leadership role at the club, but I can really see him as the heir apparent to Stewart as our general in defence - and being 5-years younger than TS, he could well be the right person at the right age to step into that role
I think a hugely underrated part of the 22 premiership was the way we were able to cover the loss of Stewart after the richmond game. We weren't able to do it the previous year and we fell apart. Guys like Kolo and Henry you expect to be solid, but I think Zuth stepping up in those matches was big. He didn't replace Stewart or anything, but he was suddenly dependable enough that whole system just kept on truckin'

Watched the first half replay so far- what a good team we are. Was great to see an open, flowing game from both teams- pleasure to watch. Everyone was just running everywhere, all the time!
Pleased by the hard work from everyone, and how well they are working together, helping each other, chasing everything down.
Apart from the obvious standouts, Ollie Henry is smart, and has great, fast hands. Blix having a very good year. All the young guys have really stepped up. Playing with confidence and purpose. Love this team.
Just watched the 1st half again myself -agree entirely with what you just said

I thought it was a pretty good standard game - both sides

Something drastic has happened with Miers - totally different player - and about 5000% better - and i wonder how he has improved so much - but that 1st half he played - youd swear it was a completely different player

With players to come back in - Geel keep playing like that - then they are going to be awfully hard to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back