Review Cats down Bombers by 28 points - Tomma has 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's what we did last season, after about Round 9 or so. Massive ingredient to our success. Dangerfield isn't expected to run out the entire game (and he shouldn't), the younger guys do far more grunt work, and everyone wins. I'd be curious to see what percentage Miers and Close were at as well.

Watching the replay the commentators mentioned that it looked like we were managing Dangerfield's workload. It's only taken them an entire season to figure it out.
The difference is Dangerfield had huge calf issues last year and the management was somewhat forced. He's in much better nick now and it's showing with his explosiveness.

Yes we rotated all our inside mids with low gametime last year. But it was particularly low yesterday for Danger and much higher for Holmes and Bruhn for 3 quarters. Last year it was normally around 70% game time while it was in the low 60s yesterday. There was a bit of extra management.

We were also without Guthrie, Selwood and Parfitt yesterday compared to much of last year. We could've chosen to put O'Connor or Duncan in there more. But I think we took the decision to give time to our kids once we were 5+ goals up.

Which is fantastic too.

The difference is Dangerfield had huge calf issues last year and the management was somewhat forced. He's in much better nick now and it's showing with his explosiveness.
Also, the way he was able to circle the centre scrum with ball in hand so often and easily must mean our other blokes were doing a lot of blocking in there

Knevitt is going to furnish into a lovely player. He has some serious flaws, but just look at what Geelong has been able to do with Zac Guthrie. They will be ironed out.

He is going to really stretch teams with his height.

Look for him to play a lot more games than we (supporters) probably want him to over next 12 months.

Scott will love this kid.
Kinda like The Season Guide saying about my boy :
"If he was any more laid back he would be mistaken for a Banana Lounge."

The problem with Knevitt and many kids stepping up from VFL to AFL is mental
They are over awed and self doubting. Playing with hope rather than intent.
Hoping to get the ball rather than I want that ball mentality.
Zuthrie never had that issue... but played to his physical limitations.
Ironically, fearless players like Jhye Clark are held back for lack of self preservation.

It would be a mistake for Knevitt to be foisted games
Doing so would entrench the self doubt of underserving games
This was the reason Kolo took several seasons to finally arrive
Instead give the kid a taste of AFL and ask him toughen up
He will instinctively become more determined in VFL to gain selection.

There is a reason Essendon kicked 100 against us and that is because they are a really good team! Not to sound condescending but they showed great fight and mental fortitude grinding out a game that was over in the first quarter. A senior coach makes all the difference--look what McCrae has done with the same list Buckley had. The Dons are lucky they scooped up B Scott when they did. I think they would have smashed every team but around three others with their performance yesterday.

That said, we made Essendon look off and we did it easily. Tremendous work from the lads. People might forget that the Dons are a cracking good team this year because now they have lost two in a row (tough ask to match up against the Pies and then us), but they'll smash a team soon enough and everyone will remember.

Hawk kicking 8 got me in my feelings after his years of service for our club.

Knevitt isn't getting gifted games. He's in the team because

A) The club is investing AFL experience in him.
B) We have tons of injuries, someone has to come into the team, and a 193cm utility is a versatile and handy choice.
C) He isn't playing so badly that he has to be dropped; he's just going to get squeezed out of the team by returning players, and that's a very different thing.

Still, it mostly just felt like we hit cruise control after the initial onslaught and that was pretty much that
and I am more than comfortable with that - would rather get the 4 points done and then play some "injury-free" then push ourselves to a 'percenatge booster" four quarter effort that ends with overly sore players and possibly an injury or two. Premierships aren't won in May, but they can be lost.

David King now has the Cats ranked No 4 in his top 4 teams (SEN), but according to him, they won't beat Brisbane, Melb, & Collingwood. What a goose.

Yeah but King could predict us to win the flag and some still wouldn't be happy.

They're paid to have opinions. We won't agree with all of them.

No doubt. But the fact that he declared Geelong cooked and done after round three and now has to eat his words somewhat is bloody funny. All the other professional opinion-givers were, "Let's wait and see." King was all in on writing off the cats. I hope the Catters can make him go the full retraction. That would be hilarious.

No doubt. But the fact that he declared Geelong cooked and done after round three and now has to eat his words somewhat is bloody funny. All the other professional opinion-givers were, "Let's wait and see." King was all in on writing off the cats. I hope the Catters can make him go the full retraction. That would be hilarious.

That's what he does though. Did the same thing in 2011.

Be interesting to look back at recent premiership teams and his predictions. I reckon there's a few wide of the mark in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's what we did last season, after about Round 9 or so. Massive ingredient to our success. Dangerfield isn't expected to run out the entire game (and he shouldn't), the younger guys do far more grunt work, and everyone wins. I'd be curious to see what percentage Miers and Close were at as well.

Watching the replay the commentators mentioned that it looked like we were managing Dangerfield's workload. It's only taken them an entire season to figure it out.
True, but from the naked eye our clearances weren't great when Danger wasn't in the centre for bounces. We still rely on him quite a lot.

I remembed Tim Lane saying it's the end of an era in early 2011 when Geelong was behind in a match they went on to win. So many commentators have been burned declaring the demise of Geelong teams.

Was in 2010 actually.

Yeah but King could predict us to win the flag and some still wouldn't be happy.

No we won’t and they can say what they want but it was a dopey call to say Geelong were gone so early in the season and I’d have thought any astute footy commentator would recognise that. That’s just lacking credibility.

Essendon v Geelong​

10 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
8 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
6 Jake Stringer (ESS)
3 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
1 Sam Weideman (ESS)

And in his pre-season prediction he said it was a battle for second behind Geelong. He's an absolute slice.

Rohan Connelly:

Geelong

Stocks up: Turns out you can teach an old dog -- or, Cat -- new tricks ... as long as that trick is kicking a new career-high number of goals. Tom Hawkins almost single-handedly sunk the Bombers on his own (or, at least with the help of Patrick Dangerfield!), kicking eight goals and one behind, including six to half time in a forward half blitz that has the competition sitting up and taking notice. Back-to-back is back on the menu.

Stocks down: It used to be the Cats after the bye, now it's the Cats in the early parts of the season. What's the deal? They're playing league-beating footy right now - a complete 180 from the first three rounds! Their last four scores? 127, 136, 130, 132. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back