Review Cats down Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires meddling ruined any chance of us winning the game

Cats are the real deal. Disappointed we stopped playing in the last quarter though.
I wasn't that impressed by the Cats to be honest. A large helping hand by the umpires! If English had of been available, would have changed the whole complexion of the game. Trengove takes Hawkins rather than Fletcher, Fletcher takes the resting ruck a lot better match up. And may have cut down the easy pressure relieving goal.
By the way can I also mention that I seriously dislike Gary Rohan, carried on like it was a Grand Final. Just know he will revert to being a spud under the pressure of finals, he will go missing again

Thought we played pretty well right up to midway through the 4th.

Our defence was well beaten all night. Geelongs forwards just too good for them in 1 on 1 situations. Desperately need English back so we can get Trengove in the backline.

The mids played well most of the night. Couple of lapses late in the 2nd and 4th cost us quick goals. Thought Hunter and Wallis had great games. Libba seems off the boil the last few weeks since the stint in the forward line. Not sure if he's carrying an injury. Smith with more good signs.

Overall I feel like the end result didn't reflect the game too well. We were not far off most of the night against a cats side that were right on the boil with their kicking for goal and ball use.

Keep playing VFL level talent and good teams will beat you.

Beveridge is legit having a shocker this year.

What’s the rush to play Lachie young? Bailey williams should be disgusted.

On what planet is Bill Gowers a better talent that lipinski, Schache or dale?

Will Hayes? FFS.

Wasting another prime bont/Macrae/hunter season.

Does Bailey Smith have a left side?

He was very good in the second half, however his unwillingness to kick on his left is starting to become a bit of an issue.
Hadnt noticed to this point but hope he does or is at least diligently developing one as Macrae developed a right.

On a related note, Daniel kicked very convincingly off his left at least once (delighted I was) but still kicks the inside out right too much for my liking.

I wasn't that impressed by the Cats to be honest. A large helping hand by the umpires! If English had of been available, would have changed the whole complexion of the game. Trengove takes Hawkins rather than Fletcher, Fletcher takes the resting ruck a lot better match up. And may have cut down the easy pressure relieving goal.
By the way can I also mention that I seriously dislike Gary Rohan, carried on like it was a Grand Final. Just know he will revert to being a spud under the pressure of finals, he will go missing again

What a pity that he didn't carry on like it was a Grand Final when he had the chance.

Despite the loss I found myself thinking - Who would you rather be, Geelong or us.

We showed plenty on their dung heap, in conditions familiar to them, with any 50 50 call inevitably going there way.

A couple of players will make a big difference to us, English perhaps being the most significant, not only for his developing ruckwork but allowing Trengove to be used elsewhere if necessary.

I expect there might be 2 or 3 changes this week and I think we will continue to improve as the year goes on and I do think we'll be capable of going on a winning run through the later rounds. At 4 and 5 we are still very much alive and in with a shot at September.

The cats are going well no doubt but can they sustain it. The score absolutely flattered them in the end yesterday and a couple of their better players are being held together with sticky tape.

Would love to play them at the G in September.

I agree with above comments, we dominated parts of the game, and clawed our way back twice. At different periods the game was played in our forward half with little return. The umpiring was so one sided, even that goal they disallowed no proof it was touched, just a Geelong players claim which they went with, even surprised the commentators.

We are a more balanced side when English plays ruck and Trengove can stand the power forwards.

Geelong are May Premiers, it’s such a familiar scene, we saw it from Richmond last year, Adelaide 2017, (Geelong were second), Sydney 2016 etc.

Last edited:
Despite the loss I found myself thinking - Who would you rather be, Geelong or us.

We showed plenty on their dung heap, in conditions familiar to them, with any 50 50 call inevitably going there way.

A couple of players will make a big difference to us, English perhaps being the most significant, not only for his developing ruckwork but allowing Trengove to be used elsewhere if necessary.

I expect there might be 2 or 3 changes this week and I think we will continue to improve as the year goes on and I do think we'll be capable of going on a winning run through the later rounds. At 4 and 5 we are still very much alive and in with a shot at September.

The cats are going well no doubt but can they sustain it. The score absolutely flattered them in the end yesterday and a couple of their better players are being held together with sticky tape.

We have an opportunity to reload against Geelong at Marvel in just a few weeks. I'd fully expect that we'd be running through brick walls and across broken glass to have another crack at these campaigners.

We have an opportunity to reload against Geelong at Marvel in just a few weeks. I'd fully expect that we'd be running through brick walls and across broken glass to have another crack at these campaigners.
Agree. I don't think they hold any fears for us. English in and a couple of tweaks and I'd be confident we can reverse the result and I'd imagine the players are too. We scored very freely against them down there which statistically is difficult to do.

As much as we collapsed in the last quarter, we did a lot right and showed a lot of tenacity and resolve to still be close early in the 4th even though we carried a lot of self inflicted wounds and had been on the wrong end of some terrible umpiring.

Schache for Gowers
Lipinski for Hayes
English for Young

Richards might get lucky, but Dale maybe comes in

If someone can explain the deliberate rushed behind to me at the end that would be great, he was under pressure & it wasn’t from 9m plus out

Only if you can explain how we didn't get a shot at goal when (Tuohy?) kicked it lob from the kick in untouched. Why were weren't paid a taking the legs free, the 6,6,6 no warning that everyone else seems to get, the touched Naughton goal...some extremely baffling calls that only went one way.

Gee I hope they don't win the flag

The AFL equalisation system causes that. It's actually the purpose of the equalisation system.

There are about 15 average teams every year and 2-3 bad ones.

Geelong just happens to be the best or second best average team in the AFL at the moment.

There were some umpiring howlers - a lot of them in fact - but Geelong were "on" as well. No way it made 44 points difference.

You're right, it didn't make a difference.

Five goals of that was our sloppiness and falling asleep late in quarters. The othe two or three goals that kept us at arms reach all night were the umps.

Keep playing VFL level talent and good teams will beat you.

Beveridge is legit having a shocker this year.

What’s the rush to play Lachie young? Bailey williams should be disgusted.

On what planet is Bill Gowers a better talent that lipinski, Schache or dale?

Will Hayes? FFS.

Wasting another prime bont/Macrae/hunter season.

It's simple things like this that you just wish we would tidy up.

Dale, Lipinski and Lewis Young should be getting a game.

Schache should be persisted with as well despite poor VFL form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won the third quarter. Perhaps the rule should be changed and the 4 points for the win should be changed to a point given to the winner of each quarter. Yes. That makes me feel better.
You know what...that isn't a bad idea. 1 premiership point per quarter and a further point for the win. That would encourage better play than the 6,6,6.

Its rare but I took a peak at Cats reciew thread. Even rarer is to see not one single mention of the umpiring. Even Huddo rabid cat fan that he is seemed astounded at their run. Kissed on the dicky by fairies were the Cats.

Totally beatable. Danger and selwood already breaking and Ablett is non raised elbow from popping a shoulder. Rohan is a front runner and their backline is too slow. Straight sets for the Cats again methinks.

Only if you can explain how we didn't get a shot at goal when (Tuohy?) kicked it lob from the kick in untouched. Why were weren't paid a taking the legs free, the 6,6,6 no warning that everyone else seems to get, the touched Naughton goal...some extremely baffling calls that only went one way.

Gee I hope they don't win the flag
They are in good form now but I don't think they have another gear to go up.
Others will have plenty of time to work them out. Once again come finals their fragility will come to the fore when they are away from home.

Because he plays so many midfielders they can’t all play in the middle. Libba was forward too...and McLean....and Wallis.

It’s an uncomfortable thought but we could trade one or two and probably not notice. Who even remembers that Dahlhaus fella?
I'm wondering if Bevo is playing these guys forward because he can't drop them but needs to get experience into the kids. Dunks was forward, now swung back into the guts with great effect. Maybe he has them on a rotation?

I think we will see some changes, but I like the way he has stuck with some players to let them gel and get confidence. Having said that, Hayes def needs to go and Roberts will as soon as English is fit. Gowers just frustrates me

We'd have beat most teams in the comp last night tbh. Im more than happy with the way we played for most of the night. Plenty been said about the umpiring which was ****ed but Geelong dont kick 21.7 any other day. They pulled that out of their ass. We missed a few gettable ones at important times and switched off for short periods and the rests history. Disappointing it blew out in the end but we were not far off the pace last night at all and they are top of the table and at their home s**t hole with some of the most one sided umpiring youll see all year.

More positives than negatives last night, im definitely taking more out of that loss than our round 1 and 2 wins.

What a pity that he didn't carry on like it was a Grand Final when he had the chance.
I should point out that what he did do on grand final day, is personally seek Mitch Wallis out before the game, run across the ground to shake his hand and wish him well.

Could have just focused on the biggest game of his life, but took the time to think about one of our injured players.

He's a super individual.

I'd rather be a perennial finals contender that has just had a seamless rejig of much of their playing stocks and is currently sitting a game and a significant % advantage clear of the competition when many pundits had them heading for a cliff. Sure, they had the advantage of a lot of dubious umpiring decisions last night and of course they play on their own s**t heap better than anybody else, but I think you are underselling where they are at and what they have achieved in the off season by a fair margin.

We on the other hand are still way too reliant on our midfield maintaining dominance for entire games, something that is proving to be very difficult as we saw in the last when we clearly run out of fingers to stick in the dike as what had up and to that time been an maintainable leek turned into a deluge. We also saw in stark relief last night that there is no obvious solution to our woes at both ends of the ground, its an issue that is exacerbated when we come up against a well drilled defence that has a plan to curtail our obvious and sole forward threat in Naughton.

I should point out that what he did do on grand final day, is personally seek Mitch Wallis out before the game, run across the ground to shake his hand and wish him well.

Could have just focused on the biggest game of his life, but took the time to think about one of our injured players.

He's a super individual.

Fair enough, and that's great to hear. I'm just in a crappy mood because the Dogs lost, the ALP got done and Grumpy Cat passed away.

I'd rather be a perennial finals contender that has just had a seamless rejig of much of their playing stocks and is currently sitting a game and a significant % advantage clear of the competition when many pundits had them heading for a cliff. Sure, they had the advantage of a lot of dubious umpiring decisions last night and of course they play on their own **** heap better than anybody else, but I think you are underselling where they are at and what they have achieved in the off season by a fair margin.

We on the other hand are still way too reliant on our midfield maintaining dominance for entire games, something that is proving to be very difficult as we saw in the last when we clearly run out of fingers to stick in the dike as what had up and to that time been an maintainable leek turned into a deluge. We also saw in stark relief last night that there is no obvious solution to our woes at both ends of the ground, its an issue that is exacerbated when we come up against a well drilled defence that has a plan to curtail our obvious and sole forward threat in Naughton.
From this point onwards, that is to say moving forward, I would much rather be us even within this season. And that's not to belittle what they did in the off season. They did well, and it's going well so far and sure they've been a perennial finals contender up to and including this year but the year's not done and next year and the year after are yet to play out. Who's to know what we might secure in the way of a key defender in FA or a forward.

Obviously our midfield is our strength and if we are unable to dominate or capitalise on the dominance we probably won't win. Just because everyone knows that, we still have to be negated there. The Cats would not have missed how difficult that is to do. A lot went their way last night that might not again in a different setting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back