Review Cats flog West Coast by 85 points for PFD 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do posters keep quoting you on parfitt?? I imagine you are enjoying seeing him play well. Why wouldnt you be?
He’s starting to do what I was critical of him not doing. Which benefits the team.

Last edited:
As expected Savrat played in defence but didn't figure as the ball was rarely down there. I don't think he's a viable option down there even if SDK or Stewart were out injured. His high, loopy kicks and poor decision making means he's always a disaster waiting to happen with ball in hand.
You have described Mark Blicavs to a T.
Great in nullifying/defending but i could hear the hamster in his head running the wheel trying to work out what and how to do it(kick or handball).
I remember even Tom Lonergan being pretty much the same.
First step of being a good defender is being able to nullify your opponent.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Stanley will be sleeping soundly because a) hes the incumbent ruck and b) its too late to play both rucks together in finals when we havent been able to try it during the year so ceglars game tonight doesnt change selection but he was much much better than you gave him credit for-he was in the top 5 on either side tonight.
And c) he’s a significant upgrade on Ceglar.

Ceglar has shown he's a significant upgrade on our other backup options, but Stanley still our #1 ruck going into finals

Ceglar has shown he's a significant upgrade on our other backup options, but Stanley still our #1 ruck going into finals

I wonder how it would look had Ceglar not struggled with injury the whole season. I feel like he could've been our clear no.1 ruck.

Gotta remember Parfitt is usually pretty beaten up by this time most years, He's come back from his hand injury without strapping on his shoulders for the first time in years and I suspect its contributing to his hand speed chasing contested balls- seems to be getting more influential flicks on the ball than used to.

Thought he was covering the ground as well as anyone. Missing that 8 weeks has him nice and fresh for the finals.

Also felt Issie really benefitted from the week off. Felt he was labouring a bit at times before last week, but looked much sharper yesterday.

I reckon Ceglar will be starting as sub in most finals matches. The couple of times Stanley has gone down down during matches during the season has seen significant bursts from the opposition as our structure gets disrupted. By having Ceglar that can be somewhat mitigated. Of course other players may get injured. If a key tall, then Blicavs go there and Stanley takes the Blicavs role. If it is a small - harder to repalce, but also less significant to structure.

I dont agree with that personally (in any case its a moot point because ceglars been injured all year so we dont have enough of a body of work of him in a geelong jumper to prove it one way or the other) i think ceglar is the better ruck of the two but points a) and b) in my last post still stand and for those reasons stanley is coming back in and ceglar is getting dropped.

I reckon Ceglar will be starting as sub in most finals matches. The couple of times Stanley has gone down down during matches during the season has seen significant bursts from the opposition as our structure gets disrupted. By having Ceglar that can be somewhat mitigated. Of course other players may get injured. If a key tall, then Blicavs go there and Stanley takes the Blicavs role. If it is a small - harder to repalce, but also less significant to structure.

Thats risky though. If you use a ruck as sub and then say a mid gets concussion early and you have to bring ceglar on youre basically a running player down (yes i know blicavs can switch roles to being a mid but still). Id want a runner as sub.

You have described Mark Blicavs to a T.
Great in nullifying/defending but i could hear the hamster in his head running the wheel trying to work out what and how to do it(kick or handball).
I remember even Tom Lonergan being pretty much the same.
First step of being a good defender is being able to nullify your opponent.
Cheers!
Six years in the system now and unfortunately there are very few signs that he is going to make it; he’s not even a good VFL player.

Six years in the system now and unfortunately there are very few signs that he is going to make it; he’s not even a good VFL player.
I thought he was good yesterday given the quality of his opponent and the fact he's been playing key back for about a month. Certainly improved dramatically from his first VFL game in the position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shall see... plenty of blokes on our list that had 5-6 years on our/other teams list/s and have made it.
Sam Menegola being one and Atkins being 2 and Zac Guthrie being 3. Plenty called for the last 2 to be given their marching orders.
So relax and let his journey play its course.
Big bloke, with speed and explosive traits are rare... whether that translates to a career down back..??
We shall see, the club have seen and vested time and effort into him.
I'm neither here nor there with him. I think he can be a great shut down key defender. Will he? We shall see.
Oh...and... Saying he isn't a good VFL player is kinda a broad swipe without defining, is he a bad forward, average ruck or an ok defender.

I wonder how it would look had Ceglar not struggled with injury the whole season. I feel like he could've been our clear no.1 ruck.
Agreed but happy we're in a position where we have got to see enough of Ceglar to know we can make it work if Stanley goes down but not enough that the match comittee will try and pull a rabbit out of the hat and upset the team balance in the next couple of weeks

I thought he was good yesterday given the quality of his opponent and the fact he's been playing key back for about a month. Certainly improved dramatically from his first VFL game in the position.
Only the 7 possessions and 3 marks so the stats man certainly wasn't kept busy. From just 27 i50 entries, Darling snagged two goals and had the better of Sav in most one on one contests.

Sav has certainly earned a very low bar of expectation so in relation to his general standard of output, perhaps he was good.

Only the 7 possessions and 3 marks so the stats man certainly wasn't kept busy. From just 27 i50 entries, Darling snagged two goals and had the better of Sav in most one on one contests.

Sav has certainly earned a very low bar of expectation so in relation to his general standard of output, perhaps he was good.
For memory Darling kicked neither opposed to Ratugolea.

It all goes back to what is the role of a KPD, how much of the output of their opponent are they responsible for.

He was good against the dogs but miles better in this game (mids had better sync reading his taps too) very influential tap work and miles better around the ground. Im still not sure him and rhys cam fit in the same side but its a great option to have.

I actually thought all our fringe guys were good-zuthrie was solid again, miers workrate and creativity great, rohan competed and chased very well, even sav looked better down back than fwd (id keep him there at vfl level) and moc was better than his last few weeks. And yet most of them (at least 4) will get dropped for the first final if all are fit...we have great depth.
Rohan and Zuthrie should not be dropped.

We shall see... plenty of blokes on our list that had 5-6 years on our/other teams list/s and have made it.
Sam Menegola being one and Atkins being 2 and Zac Guthrie being 3. Plenty called for the last 2 to be given their marching orders.
So relax and let his journey play its course.
Big bloke, with speed and explosive traits are rare... whether that translates to a career down back..??
We shall see, the club have seen and vested time and effort into him.
I'm neither here nor there with him. I think he can be a great shut down key defender. Will he? We shall see.
Oh...and... Saying he isn't a good VFL player is kinda a broad swipe without defining, is he a bad forward, average ruck or an ok defender.
Sav is lacking in footy IQ and is just so slow to react to the events that are about to unfold. He is also a klutz and prone to giving away cheap frees.
Check out Stewart and SDK... they are very balanced and rarely give away frees for arm chops, illegal holds, pushes in the back or undisciplined actions. I just can't see Sav ever possessing these critical traits that can clearly be honed but in many respects, are innate.

Sav is lacking in footy IQ and is just so slow to react to the events that are about to unfold. He is also a klutz and prone to giving away cheap frees.
Check out Stewart and SDK... they are very balanced and rarely give away frees for arm chops, illegal holds, pushes in the back or undisciplined actions. I just can't see Sav ever possessing these critical traits that can clearly be honed but in many respects, are innate.

Sav gave away 1 free last night.

I thought Sav was pretty good for someone playing their first game as a KPD after only a month of VFL as a KPD.

That moment at the city end where he sprinted back with the flight to spoil it out was great.

He's obviously still a project in that position but I can see him playing there in the future.

Our coach has great faith in Sav.

I do not think Scott is talking him up to improve his trade value as I am sure they intend keeping him. Sav also loves the club.

They appear to be on key regarding their selections this year and appear to have everything under control. In our coaches we trust.

I can not see it.
  1. He is a bad kick,
  2. cannot ruck (does extract it a little)
  3. does not get enough of it
Glad to be proven wrong and it could be that Sav does come good.

Our team has plenty of depth.
I think we should only draft A A+ players and build the other team from within.

I do not see the benefit of drafting slightly better than average players.

The extremes are Danger and Cameron and then a host of players from our sup list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back