Review Cats ground Bombers by 77 point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom atkins last two weeks has been very very good.

he has played the way everyone pretended he played last year.

now lets see if he can bring this sort of game next week against an elite side.

It's interesting we went away from Holmes and Bruhn attending many centre bounces last night.

It was Stanley, O'Connor, Atkins, Blicavs and Danger attending most of the centre bounces last night with Bruhn taking over once Danger was subbed out.

I think we're done with development this year with Holmes, Bruhn, etc taking lots of centre bounces. Holmes obviously just moves back out to a wing where he's at his best.

I didn't see where Bruhn lined up most of the night. I thought he had a good game but if he's not in our best centre bounce mix is he the one to get squeezed out if Guthrie gets back?

Has anyone else wondered how Blitz would go if we played him forward for a whole game, or is it just me?
I think the reason he has an impact down there us he gut runs to get there are often helps outumber the defence on attacking drives. If you parked him there and he got picked up by kpd's his impact would be much less IMO.

Not many come back in now - certainly not Esava after watching Jack Henry last night. Why Scott keeps bringing him up is beyond me.

Bowes has gone ahead of Bews.

Tuohy has been very good lately so I expect him to return.

Ling keeps going on about Simpson but he's a long way behind the group who played mid/wing last night. Even Cam Guthrie will be lucky to return given the nature of his injury and his time out.
Agreed for most part. Bowes has gone ahead of Bews, adds such a different element to our backs with his ball use. Plus he can play anywhere on the ground which the MC love.
Personally think the Sav commentary from the club is more aimed at fattening him up for when he wants a trade at years end. He did a great job when bodies went down, but reality was we were leaking goals and getting beaten. We look much more settled with him out.
Guth is a walk up start when he is ready to go, not sure who makes way, injuries or suspension will prob make the decision. No way in any universe he doesn’t walk straight back into the 22

Dont think its really fair comparing Bowes to Bews, Bews plays as our most accountable small defender, Bowes plays as a looser sweeper. I think Bowes would get killed for speef by the best small forwards. Bews in against the best small forwards IMO(Cameron in particular).
He needs to come back in this week.

Agreed for most part. Bowes has gone ahead of Bews, adds such a different element to our backs with his ball use. Plus he can play anywhere on the ground which the MC love.
Personally think the Sav commentary from the club is more aimed at fattening him up for when he wants a trade at years end. He did a great job when bodies went down, but reality was we were leaking goals and getting beaten. We look much more settled with him out.
Guth is a walk up start when he is ready to go, not sure who makes way, injuries or suspension will prob make the decision. No way in any universe he doesn’t walk straight back into the 22
At this stage id put in form Guth in before Bruhn/Bowes... but dont think its that much of an improvement given the B's current form. Guth needs to be tearing up the track to get in IMO.

Dont think its really fair comparing Bowes to Bews, Bews plays as our most accountable small defender, Bowes plays as a looser sweeper. I think Bowes would get killed for speef by the best small forwards. Bews in against the best small forwards IMO(Cameron in particular).
Agree catstragic
Bowes is more a Tuohy/Duncan replacement in that sweeping role in the defensive half.
Bews plays his stopping role extremely well , a bit under the radar, but rarely gets multiple goals kicked on him .
I think his kicking gets him bad press at times particularly his ability to go OOTFull😀

To put the game to bed, before quarter time, against a so-called contender has rekindled the fire in the faithful and has us knocking on the door of the Top 4.
It was a vulgar display of power.

Early in the week Brad Scott made a point of saying that the Bombers would not be underestimating Gryan Miers and Brad Close, implying that the two smalls might be in for a little extra attention.
Both were superb in the 1st quarter; along with Jack Henry they, as much as anyone, set the tone early on.

Similarly, the ridiculously named Brandon Zerk-Thatcher announced to the media pre-game that he relished a rematch with Tom Hawkins, who absolutely pansted him earlier this year. He should be careful what he wishes for, as the young fool was once again given a football lesson.

Tanner Bruhn's accelerated evolution throughout 2023 couldn't have come at a better time; Bruhn has elevated his output just as our midfield depth was being probed. Bruhn has also gradually revealed himself to be one of our most dual-sided mids this side of Buddha Hocking. His left foot is both an escape hatch and an architect for angle alteration.

Duncan has found some touch and form, thankfully. He is creaky, but he has dug deep in recent weeks.
Isaac Smith looked better for the spell, too.

5 - Mark Blicavs - statistically might not have been as good as some, but his two-way game was irresistible
4 - Gryan Miers - was everywhere in the 1st half; kicked a great goal early on and linked up with creativity all over the ground
3 - Tom Atkins - hard as a cat's head. His work rate is first rate.
2 - Tom Hawkins - reports of his decline have been exaggerated. Sublime forward craft tonight.
1 - Max Holmes - found time and space with quick reactions all night long. Career high disposals.

I pity the fool..:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree catstragic
Bowes is more a Tuohy/Duncan replacement in that sweeping role in the defensive half.
Bews plays his stopping role extremely well , a bit under the radar, but rarely gets multiple goals kicked on him .
I think his kicking gets him bad press at times particularly his ability to go OOTFull😀
It wouldn't matter if the opposition were using Mick Nolan as a small forward, Bews will be selected by our MC.

Yes Cam Guthrie is an automatic selection - if fit.

The issue is can he really be at his best if and when he returns? it's not a gimme.

Further, Bruhn gets better every week; for example he is now hitting targets with his kicks. He stays in with or without CG. Agree with everyone that Holmes is best on the wing where he is very hard to match up on.

As for Esava I know he was important early on but with all our tall defenders now available he is not 'best 22'; rather he is in the squad of 26-28 players who can be called upon when required.

Yes Cam Guthrie is an automatic selection - if fit.

The issue is can he really be at his best if and when he returns? it's not a gimme.

Further, Bruhn gets better every week; for example he is now hitting targets with his kicks. He stays in with or without CG. Agree with everyone that Holmes is best on the wing where he is very hard to match up on.

As for Esava I know he was important early on but with all our tall defenders now available he is not 'best 22'; rather he is in the squad of 26-28 players who can be called upon when required.
The worry I have is that if he is seen as "fit" for the first final and they bring him straight in like we did with Duncan a few years ago and they, as expected, are very rusty. Something you really don't want in a final.

We have to hope Cam can get at least 2 VFL or AFL games under his belt before finals. He is important to a flag tilt but rush him back and its going to be a catastrophe,.

Agree catstragic
Not a huge problem. Always need a guy playing a role for fans with drinking games. :winkv1:

Last edited:
Bowes is playing Duncan's role from last year. If anything Z.Guthrie and MOC would cover Bews role if he wasn't brought back in.

I was at the game last night, bloody brilliant game to watch. Bit of a surprise not sure if this has been mentioned but Alistair Clarkson and Chris Fagen were sitting not far from were I was sitting from me..
I suppose we play Brisbane next game so he was probably taking notes

Went to a Geel game years back at KP - basically all standing room on outer side- towards the City end goals hff- i forget who we were playing - but we must have been playing Footscray the following game - because at about qtr time Allan Joyce Foot coach ( an ex Haw coach ) rocked up by himself- in with the standing supporters - just a metre or so from my side . He seemed a bit of an eccentric type - his reactions and that - couldnt stand still - and it must have been cold - because he had his hands in his pockets the whole time - hah

Bowes looks much more at home in the backline, sweeper role. Will be a handy replacement for Duncan and Tuohy.

Good list management.
And he only cost us negative pick 7. Elite list management.

lol. He is literally in the best form of his career right now. His past month is an outlier.

And while playing well he is hardly dominating. Probably in the 4-6 best players on the ground last night.

he is far more athletic then j.henry though. ;)
Did you like JH’s shimmy last night Seeds?

I’d gif it but Kayo hobbled screen caps. 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back