Review Cats keep 20+ year Crows drought at KP going with 26 point win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anytime a geelong player taps someone there is an article and big fuss about it.

Call me paranoid, but do others get a sense the media loves the idea of bad news at geelong and hoping for us to lose and decline??
There's an old saying that 'man bites dog' is a more engaging headline than 'dog bites man', because it's different, unexpected. I suppose the idea of Geelong losing its edge is news because we've been strong for so long. So to that extent I can imagine the media will always be interested when a powerful team declines. But to be honest I think this is more a matter of confirmation bias in action. Every team's fans think the media are biased against them.

Did they receive a bit more attention during the game? Not surprising if that were the case ( you don’t often catch that stuff on the tv broadcast) The fact that they are high on our goal assists would have to ultimately invite more attention.

Watching the replay last night Miers did appear to have someone shadowing him, but as you say it's a bit hard to tell given the limited scope of the TV coverage.

Watching the replay last night Miers did appear to have someone shadowing him, but as you say it's a bit hard to tell given the limited scope of the TV coverage.
I didn’t notice it specifically but I did note two things from being there live…the narrow ground for sure makes it harder for those smalls to find space up the ground. Compared to watching at MCG you just don’t see where they can run into space. Secondly the Crows tended to be more one on one over the ground. I really didnt see the zoning other teams do - or at least not to same extent

Knevitt is not quick over the ground but he has quick hands. At one stage, in a flash, he picked the ball off the ground and delivered a perfect handball over the top of opposition players to a Geelong player running forward of the play. His height is a real plus as well and he can take a mark. Ollie Dempsey did some things that reaffirmed my belief he will eventually become a scary addition to the forward line.

The big Sav made team of the week! Get around the big fella!

FvkJvAfacAAh43S

Knevitt well and truly backed up my belief that most of BF have no idea, going to be a seriously good footballer.

He did so much right during the game but the highlight to me was the dish to Jez when he took that brilliant mark.
Sometimes, even usually, a kid takes a big mark like that and the adrenaline makes them go back and kick at goal themselves, but to have the game sense and understanding to kick it out to Jez running onto his left shows a maturity that I didn't expect from a kid.

Hoping we see a future midfield of Conway, Holmes, Clark and Knevitt for many years to come.

The big Sav made team of the week! Get around the big fella!
Bearing in mind he's a rookie defender with 1 VFL season and 9 AFL games in the role:

"His intercepting capacity is overstated"
-8th in the league for intercept marks. 4 intercept marks off top spot with Moore.

"Why is he going for contested marks?"
-Top 10 amongst all defenders for contested marks

"I wish he'd just spoil it more"
-9th in the league for spoils, while still managing a career-best (easily) 5.3 marks a game.

"He's a complete liability 1v1"
-Lower % of defensive contest losses than May, Petty, Frost, Balta, Allir and a stack of others. Within 2.5% of SDK, Andrews, Pearce, Barrass, Grimes and McKay.

"His kicking is the worst in the league"
-Kicking efficiency still at 84.9%. Better than Taylor, Moore, McKenzie, Cox, Weitering, Lever and stacks of others. A smidge below Andrews and May. I understand he's limited with a bunch of loopy kicks down the line, but it's a myth that he's a turnover machine.

There's plenty for him to work on and improve (understandably) but he's having a good season overall.

The Tigers might well win because their strength is in the mid-field - they are all beasts, especially Hopper and Prestia - while our mid-field is seriously depleted just now. Bolton is in a class of his own.

It will be a huge chance for our young mids to make a statement. If they play well, even if we lose, it's a positive big picture wise.

I'd play Willis if he'd played more games in the VFL; he will surely be a long-term player for us so I hope to read that he's been resigned.

The Tigers might well win because their strength is in the mid-field - they are all beasts, especially Hopper and Prestia - while our mid-field is seriously depleted just now. Bolton is in a class of his own.

It will be a huge chance for our young mids to make a statement. If they play well, even if we lose, it's a positive big picture wise.

I'd play Willis if he'd played more games in the VFL; he will surely be a long-term player for us so I hope to read that he's been resigned.
How dominant are they in midfield? 14th in clearances and 12th for contested possessions.

Do we need to square clearances and inside 50s to win? Not necessarily. Richmond are 6th in the comp for inside 50s but have no forward line to capitalise, and a porous defence that gets scored against easily. They have a similar profile to Sydney in this way, who are 3rd in the comp for inside 50s.

They do have Prestia back now and Bolton + Martin actually showed some form. They will need all of those, Taranto and Hopper to fire at the same time and destroy us to have a chance. Which could happen but then it could still be cancelled out by Geelong dominance in attack, defence and on the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bearing in mind he's a rookie defender with 1 VFL season and 9 AFL games in the role:

"His intercepting capacity is overstated"
-8th in the league for intercept marks. 4 intercept marks off top spot with Moore.

"Why is he going for contested marks?"
-Top 10 amongst all defenders for contested marks

"I wish he'd just spoil it more"
-9th in the league for spoils, while still managing a career-best (easily) 5.3 marks a game.

"He's a complete liability 1v1"
-Lower % of defensive contest losses than May, Petty, Frost, Balta, Allir and a stack of others. Within 2.5% of SDK, Andrews, Pearce, Barrass, Grimes and McKay.

"His kicking is the worst in the league"
-Kicking efficiency still at 84.9%. Better than Taylor, Moore, McKenzie, Cox, Weitering, Lever and stacks of others. A smidge below Andrews and May. I understand he's limited with a bunch of loopy kicks down the line, but it's a myth that he's a turnover machine.

There's plenty for him to work on and improve (understandably) but he's having a good season overall.
Mark when in front, punch when behind. Sav will eventually get it.

How dominant are they in midfield? 14th in clearances and 12th for contested possessions.

Do we need to square clearances and inside 50s to win? Not necessarily. Richmond are 6th in the comp for inside 50s but have no forward line to capitalise, and a porous defence that gets scored against easily. They have a similar profile to Sydney in this way, who are 3rd in the comp for inside 50s.

They do have Prestia back now and Bolton + Martin actually showed some form. They will need all of those, Taranto and Hopper to fire at the same time and destroy us to have a chance. Which could happen but then it could still be cancelled out by Geelong dominance in attack, defence and on the wings.

Yep, and as you said, they still need to kick goals. I don't see a winning score coming from their current lineup. Their best forward is out, their second best is on his last legs, Bolton is too hit and miss, and the rest can't kick straight when they do have it.

Esava!!

AFLCA votes:

10 - Esava Ratugolea (GEEL)
5 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
4 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
4 - Zach Guthrie (GEEL)
3 - Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
2 - Lachlan Murphy (ADEL)
1 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
1 - Mark O'Connor (GEEL)

WOW we have advanced stats now.......now i see why the young ones go missing time on ground
you noticed mitch game time? 58%. dempsey 30% (due to sub).

pressure acts for both decent if you extrapolate that out to 80% game time like the rest

and our man Tanner at 65% game time his pressure acts off the charts

interesting

Willis just needs to string together a dozen games to prove to himself he can have continuit. Will be resigned for sure if he does that. He has afl attributes. Might take a while to develop in game plan etc (he tends to not see options) but a lot to like

Yep, and as you said, they still need to kick goals. I don't see a winning score coming from their current lineup. Their best forward is out, their second best is on his last legs, Bolton is too hit and miss, and the rest can't kick straight when they do have it.

If they replicate their form from 3 weeks ago - i think there is a very good chance they will be in front at h/time - they played seriously good football in that 1st half against Melb - and even Petracca and Oliver where having trouble staying with them - pace wise

Richmonds big problem for the past couple of years have been their 2nd halves

Idont bet against Geel - because there is no joy in seeing the Cats lose .But if i was neutral the $4 Rich is enticing - Dangerfield the past month has been in superlative form - and he is not playing - the last 2 times we have played Ess - both games in the 1st qtr he has basically destroyed them singlehandly - so he is a massive out

How people can possibly know that is beyond me. Way, way, way too early to know.
The more I see of him the more confident I get he will be a top player. His natural god given traits are perfect for elite AFL footy. He has pace, height, agility, long arms, and a solid frame to build size over the years.

I think he will develop into a very strong contested midfielder over the years who can take contested grabs and drift forward for a goal or two.

You could also use him as a bit of a utility floating from the wing to defense to intercept or a running endurance winger up and down the ground.

He has a lot of upside and roles he can fill.

Esava!!

AFLCA votes:

10 - Esava Ratugolea (GEEL)
5 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
4 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
4 - Zach Guthrie (GEEL)
3 - Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
2 - Lachlan Murphy (ADEL)
1 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
1 - Mark O'Connor (GEEL)

First impression is that Kolodjashnij is really, really, stiff to miss out. He was tremendous.

I was struck by this as well. Was a competent tall person but gave zero second efforts or running pressure. Really does make you appreciate Stanley, Blitz and even De Koning for that matter.
Perhaps he just knows his limits in speed but that doesn't always mean the oppo does.
I also recall Ottens' chase down of Pettigrew in the 2007 GF. It's about setting standards. Effort as a non-negotiable. All that.
One of my favourite Geelong highlights.

2 points.

I was wrong about Esava being a spud. has found his spot.

Simpson deserves a bit more love people. He's a mid fielder playing forward, played the second half sore last week and he's managed 4 goals in two game with none of them being gifts. He's halved a heap of 70/30 contests and been a surprisingly hard nut when going for the pill.

He's playing for his career at the moment and it shows in his effort, I really hope he's able to cement a spot and stay healthy because he's just the sort of player I love to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back