Autopsy Cats lose by 8 points to Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats are pretty close to a bottom four side. They have a lot of passengers and the new players haven't done the job this year. They will spend more than a few years in the doldrums. The season is over and it couldn't come quick enough, tank the last two games and get a better draft pick.
nothing if not consistent Jack.

Wont tank - will still try - and maybe they make maybe they dont - but that list when healthy is not bottom 4.

Will regroup and go again as hunters not the hunted IMO.

GO Catters

Actually, we were favoured in 95 to win it until practically the day of the game when the odds suddenly changed. Was just reading the relevant Wikipedia entry yesterday. But when you look at the respective sides, it's hard to see why Geelong had so much backing - that was a gun Carlton outfit.
Probably because we won both finals by 80 odd points

...and we can still finish outside the 8 if we win our last 2. It's got to that sad point that we need to hope things fall our way. The embarrassing losses to GWS and Freo at home put the kibosh on our year. You've got to admire the Sydney Swans. They looked done and dusted for finals this year but have turned it around winning 5 games in a row.
Geez this is selective. They're one game ahead of us and had disasters at home. Very similar season to us, except unlike us they've been belted in a few games.

Kolo 8 disposals, 2 turnovers (one clanger that lead to an opposition goal), zero tackles, 92 metres gained, 21 total AFL fantasy points (lowest of all players on the ground), his opponent kicked 5 goals.
Not his best game but has played a lot worse.
8 disposals and his opponent kicked 5…. But not his worst? I’m scared to see his worst…..

8 disposals and his opponent kicked 5…. But not his worst? I’m scared to see his worst…..
Incorrect- his opponent was not Mihocek all night. Kolo was off, but Mihocek kicked goals on multiple opponents from what I saw. Nice to give Kolo all the "credit" though.

You mean Miochek?

Who also happened to be opposed to Stewart, SDK & Ratugolea across the game

Don't forget that when Miochek kicked out on the full it was Ratugolea who was meant to be defending him, but instead he stood 5m->10m in front of him while the ball was outside the 50m arc, paying zero attention to Miochek. Then when the ball was kicked in, Ratugolea went to where the ball was being kicked, Miochek hung out the back, picked up the loose ball and thankfully fluffed his kick

We didn't play a traditional 1-vs-1 defence all night, instead it was a rolling zone and trying to pick up the player in your zone - some did that better than others who struggled with the idea of switching opponents

Errrgh.

Tested positive for covid this morning after spending my Friday night surrounded by feral Collingwood nuffs. Coincidence? I think not.

In all seriousness they were bad. Not as bad as Richmond fans but bad. Special shout out to the woman that shouted "mish mash chewy on ya boot chewy on ya boot mish mash" every time Geelong had a shot on goal.

Was trying to work out what mish mash was meant to be all night.

Honourable mention to the teenage boy and the woman who I presume is his mother who were screaming at Dangerfield calling him a flop and then gave me daggers when I pointed out they were ironically huge Jack Ginnivan fans.

Please anyone but them win the flag. I'd almost prefer Carlton.

My fellow Cats fans live in a dream world most of the time, they won't make the 8 and it would be a good thing if they didn't. The best thing Geelong can do is put the cue in the rack, finish the season and send them away on leave for 2 months, get everybody fit and have a great pre-season in preparation for 2024. There will be retirements and there will be players traded, maybe the new recruits from last year's trade period and draft will be more settled next season? They have lost a lot of close games and the measure of a good team is how many of those tight contests you win, if you keep losing them, then you are also ran...

Melbourne teams sell papers. Have to laugh at media all over Moore and Daicos when we've got one third of our best team missing, but crickets.

Apparently Daicos, Sidebottom and Moore for a half > Hawkins, Blicavs, Guthrie, J Henry and Rohan for a half.

🤷‍♀️

Actually, we were favoured in 95 to win it until practically the day of the game when the odds suddenly changed. Was just reading the relevant Wikipedia entry yesterday. But when you look at the respective sides, it's hard to see why Geelong had so much backing - that was a gun Carlton outfit.
Che? They finished 4 games ahead of us and were in red hot form coming into the finals. Were on top of the ladder most of the year from memory. We had lost 2 of our last 6 games ( lost to dogs at kardinia park which tells us something!)so I find it hard to fathom, that we were favoured- everyone I knew was tipping Carlton as unbeatable I seem to recall. And it was over 10 minutes in. There was always talk about trouble in the rooms before the game- a fight between a couple of players?
And it was a very dismal day to be at I must say. Wouldn’t like to go through that again.

Cats are pretty close to a bottom four side. They have a lot of passengers and the new players haven't done the job this year. They will spend more than a few years in the doldrums. The season is over and it couldn't come quick enough, tank the last two games and get a better draft pick.
We have literally gone 10-10-1 on the back of playing the worst three teams in the competition only once and you reckon we're a bottom four side? Oh come off it

Also, Ollie Henry has blown all my expectations of him out of the park.

No we were not. Either Wikipedia is wrong, or your memory of it is.

Carlton put together one of the all-time dominant seasons that year, and while there was talk of there being a good grand final in the making, that was driven more by the fact that we'd only had one genuinely close Grand Final in the last ten years.

Brand new account regurgitates word-for-word talking points from opposition trolls.

Absolutely nothing suss here fellas......
oh we know.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My fellow Cats fans live in a dream world most of the time, they won't make the 8 and it would be a good thing if they didn't. The best thing Geelong can do is put the cue in the rack, finish the season and send them away on leave for 2 months, get everybody fit and have a great pre-season in preparation for 2024. There will be retirements and there will be players traded, maybe the new recruits from last year's trade period and draft will be more settled next season? They have lost a lot of close games and the measure of a good team is how many of those tight contests you win, if you keep losing them, then you are also ran...

You got me - guilty as charged.

I've been living in this dream world where the Cats won 4 flags over 16 years and only missed finals once (maybe twice) in that time while teams like Carlton had 10 years in between just making finals and the Saints would kill just to win a single flag. It's a pretty cool dream, actually - no wonder I'm not interested in waking up.

You got me - guilty as charged.

I've been living in this dream world where the Cats won 4 flags over 16 years and only missed finals once (maybe twice) in that time while teams like Carlton had 10 years in between just making finals and the Saints would kill just to win a single flag. It's a pretty cool dream, actually - no wonder I'm not interested in waking up.
Haha - great response!

Geez this is selective. They're one game ahead of us and had disasters at home. Very similar season to us, except unlike us they've been belted in a few games.
But Sydney when they were on the ropes have won 5 games in a row and are a good chance to play finals. Geelong has lost 3 of its last 4 games and are unlikely to play finals. I'm talking about right now at the pointy end of the season when the whips are cracking and the motivation is playing AFL finals football. Geelong has dropped the ball.

I am inclined to agree but not put the cue in the rack. We probably won't make finals but ending the season with a couple of wins is psychologically much better for the off season and build up to the 2024 season. Isaac Smith has retired, there will be more. Good to go out on a positive note for these great servants of the club.

Gee that one hurt. We had every opportunity to win. Too many costly turnovers.

Yes we got very lucky with the Cameron goals but Pies first goal should have been a free kick to the Cats (Push in the back, then dropping the ball/incorrect disposal- both not paid) - which resulted in an Adams goal.

Mihocek paid a mark inside 50 when the ball clearly hit the ground but then not paying a similar diving mark to Cameron later in the game.

The one that killed us the most was the first goal of the 2nd half when we were 1 point down, a shocking centre bounce that clearly benefited the pies and they score a goal in <30 seconds. Totally shifted the momentum. We were dominating centre clearances before that.

Pies were the better side, umpires were bad both ways, and we had our chances to win but it wasn't to be.

Nice to know we can still compete with the best.

Must win the next 2 games to sneak into the 8th spot. The 5th rank team would be very nervous if we made it!!

The telecast on 7 and fox were an absolute joke last night.. might as well have been press red for Ed
I actually loved 'Press Red for Ed' and wish Foxtel would bring that back. Would be kind of cool to have a Huddo and Whateley (or even Matt Granland) do a Car'n the Cats version of biased commentary.

To be honest i've always enjoyed Eddie as a commentator, even allowing for the fact that when Tarrant took that mark in 2003 Eddie was yelling his name almost before the Mesozoic era, so early did he go the crow with that.

We're just not quite there this season, a mis-step from the start and hasn't really quite got going. Again though, you'd need to be at least 25 years old as a Cat fan to recall double digits in the loss column in a home and away season, and we've still got a percentage of 116 or so despite only one bite each of norf, WCE and the Hawks. and we played the Weegles in 'Gather Round', allowing them about 100 points and seeing Waterman and Allen looking like Corey and Carey circa late 90's.

However this season ends, I am very positive 2024 will be an improvement.

Che? They finished 4 games ahead of us and were in red hot form coming into the finals. Were on top of the ladder most of the year from memory. We had lost 2 of our last 6 games ( lost to dogs at kardinia park which tells us something!)so I find it hard to fathom, that we were favoured- everyone I knew was tipping Carlton as unbeatable I seem to recall. And it was over 10 minutes in. There was always talk about trouble in the rooms before the game- a fight between a couple of players?
And it was a very dismal day to be at I must say. Wouldn’t like to go through that again.

L

Look i dont want to rehash the 95 GF - rather wipe it from my memory

But i know the story behind the betting - and why we actually started favourite

This was in the very early days of sports betting - and around that time believe it or not - Sports bookmakers under the legislation had to be located on a race track

Anyhow Carlton were favourite not be alot say 20-25 cents - on the Saturday morning an Asian high roller got off the plane - he saw those odds - and like alot of punters backed the one at the better price - he put 100 Grand on the Cats and that is why we started favourite in the betting

Don't know about that.

We haven't looked / been convincing all season, and for all Scott's spin and bluster we're not coming in 'hot' or looking particularly 'dangerous'.

Add some new injury worries and we're 'limping' more than anything.

Agree. We're 11th for a reason, I don't think any team would fear us.

22 premiership Geelong yes, not the 23 bottom 8 version.

Look it hasn't been a great season I'll admit.

But how in the actual * are we below Essendon on the ladder?

I mean really. It's like a tear in the space time continuum or something.
For the same reason the saints are in the 8 - some teams get North, Hawks and West Coast twice. We get the tough defending premiers draw.
We protect mediocrity in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back