Autopsy Cats lose to Crows by 12 points - Rd 1, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hush. Facts don't allow for a good rant.
Apparently ALL 4 of Dusty's goals were kicked on him too.
Kolo was on Walker in atleast 3 of those goals and they were goals when Walker did kolo cold in one on ones. The third walker opponent kept Walker goalless and mostly out of the action after he had smashed kolo. Let’s not only include some facts. How about all. Kolo was pretty terrible when he wasn’t on Walker as well.

Kolo was on Walker in atleast 3 of those goals and they were goals when Walker did kolo cold in one on ones. The third walker opponent kept Walker goalless for over a qtr after he had smashed kolo. Let’s not only include some facts. How about all. Kolo was pretty terrible when he wasn’t on Walker as well.
I'm not going to argue that Kolo shouldn't have been moved off Walker in the second quarter

Just sick of hearing/reading that Walker kicked 5 on him which didn't happen - Jenkins & reportedly Henderson were opponents for a couple of goals

The Scott was an apprentice to Ross Lyon "false fact" is now being discussed on Facebook - all based on the idea that Scott was an assistant coach at Freo from 2008 to 2010

The seemingly simple fact that we beat a Ross Lyon coached Saints in the 2009 grand final seems to have been forgotten, as is the fact that Lyon then coached St Kilda to a draw & loss against Collingwood in the 2010 grand finals

The whole backline is severely overrated. Chris Scott's whole style of play is to protect their deficiencies. The rule changes counteract that style of play. There will be some ugly matches this year.

I honestly think Chris Scott sees a lot of these performances coming and the dumb selections / positional moves are just Hail Mary plays because he knows doing the norm ain't going to cut it.

People on here then froth over the moves when in reality the players just aren't that good anymore.
How crap are our players? We were grand finalists last year.

So let's make it touch football.
And speccies are banned- player may land on his head.
We ALL agree and know concussion is serious, but you either allow bumps or you don't, because the head clash was purely accidental, and head clashes can occur in multiple ways.
Danger doing weeks does not eradicate accidental head clashes- the ONLY way is top outlaw ALL bumps.
I think it would be very difficult to outlaw the bump. Where does an intentional bump start and bracing for contact end? I think they would outlaw it if it was straight forward.

I thought Smith was not great by his standards (before 2020 at least) but for the very last part of the game. His ball use & decision making was pretty ordinary. Hopefully just a bit of rust there.

I hope Jenkins never plays for us again. Weak in marking and ruck contests and missed crucial shots.

And when Zac Guthrie took that crazy option instead of kicking it to the bloke all on his own I figured the coaches would have put a line through him forever also. Just such a bad option, what the hell was he thinking?

Geez we can be infuriating, and boring, to watch at times. Guys slow to make decisions (Menegola & Blicavs as usual), and not a lot of spark at ground level up forward. Just a very ordinary day. Hopefully better and more exciting times ahead very soon.

Nah. Caracella only got one. Think Hedland only got one.
Hadley too.
They were very similar teams across those 3 years though. No wonder they were so good.

Caracalla and Headland did not play in 2001 (Well Caracella didn't play in the winning team anyway).

Caracella played in 2003, Headland in 2002.

EVERY 2001 premiership player for Brisbane is a Dual premiership player.

Apparently not incorrect

The stat/fact is that the team of players who have run out in grand final day, won the match & became premiers, have never played together in the exact same team again

All of Brisbane's 2001 premiership players were there in 2002

Caracalla and Headland did not play in 2001 (Well Caracella didn't play in the winning team anyway).

Caracella played in 2003, Headland in 2002.

EVERY 2001 premiership player for Brisbane is a Dual premiership player.
Fair enough. My mistake.

All of Brisbane's 2001 premiership players were there in 2002
No one's arguing they weren't all on the list, just that they didn't all run out together in another game

It was close in 2002, but various premiership players missed matches across the season.

Clark Keating only played the 12 games in 2002, while Beau McDonald played 15, so I cross matched those guys for games played together:
Round 6: Aker & Brown missed (maybe others, but stopped checking after those 2)
Round 15: Shaun Hart & Brown missed (again maybe others)
Prelim: Bradshaw
GF: Copeland, Bradshaw

I can go through the 2003 matches tomorrow, but it's the idea that while all may still be on that list, those 22 who lined up & won the grand final, didn't all line up together in another match - always at least one player from the premiership team missing from future matches

edit - just had a quick look for cross overs from future years and stuck with Clark Keating & Beau McDonald; after the 2002 grand final, those 2 never played as teammates again. In 2003, McDonald's last game was round 14 & Keating's first game was round 15; while the next game McDonald played was round 5 2006, with his last game that year being round 12, and Keating's first game that year was round 16

Shows that you can keep the same 22 players on the list, but doesn't mean they'll play another match as that same 22 again

Last edited:
Sorry but that's pretty laughable

At least 3 players were opposed to Walker at various stages of his goal kicking

As for the 18 turnovers comment - I'm curious as to whom he's deciding to pick out to select that particular stat. Those leading the turnover count yesterday were
- Smith with 8
- Dangerfield with 7
- Selwood & Miers with 6 each

So those 4 contributed 43% of our turnovers, but he's ignoring at least 2 of those guys and including a player who had less turnovers

If you're going to be critical, at least try to have some basics right
Every player has a turn over stat. Even Dusty. Its where the turn over occurs and the pressure at the time. An un pressured disposal in back line that is turned over has a higher 'hurt' factors than a player under pressure kicking into the attacking 50.

Listening to Rahilly on triple m Adelaide on the morning of the game, you could tell they had a plan specifically against the cats. Make our defence accountable & pressure at the coalface. Not to the standard i thought it would be....We weren't able to grind our way back in the game, it was manic that we had to keep in the game not on our terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The free against Parfitt in the final minutes was the deal breaker for me. That free kick count in the last quarter was another player for them. Why guess at a free in an exciting and close game? High! Can you believe it?

Screenshot_20210321-170119_Kayo Sports.jpg

We are an easy team for others to watch getting beat. The narrative is simple, too old, too slow. The scalp still has value, full of former Champions. The club has been up so long people wouldn't mind seeing a dip.

This team needs to stop messing about. They have to put games beyond fairy tale home crowd bias. Aim to win by 60 points every match. Go get the flag if they can do that. If not, enjoy another brave season on weary legs.

We are an easy team for others to watch getting beat. The narrative is simple, too old, too slow. The scalp still has value, full of former Champions. The club has been up so long people wouldn't mind seeing a dip.

This team needs to stop messing about. They have to put games beyond fairy tale home crowd bias. Aim to win by 60 points every match. Go get the flag if they can do that. If not, enjoy another brave season on weary legs.

Agree with all of that

Our finals is far from an automatic outcome this year. I fear there could be a big fall this year. Our game plan hasn’t moved with the rule changes. All our best players are now getting really old.

Yeah this might be a concern. With ball coming in more quickly, who are our good one-on-one defenders?

We have great team defence, but 1 on 1? Not so sure

Younger, gut running teams that play on due to this new rule are going to rip us apart.

It’s only early, but the terrible signs we saw against the bombers in the praccy match were on show Saturday. A long season back to normal quarters with games being quicker, for a list going for a last hurrah with ageing stars, could get messy.

No one's arguing they weren't all on the list, just that they didn't all run out together in another game

It was close in 2002, but various premiership players missed matches across the season.

Clark Keating only played the 12 games in 2002, while Beau McDonald played 15, so I cross matched those guys for games played together:
Round 6: Aker & Brown missed (maybe others, but stopped checking after those 2)
Round 15: Shaun Hart & Brown missed (again maybe others)
Prelim: Bradshaw
GF: Copeland, Bradshaw

I can go through the 2003 matches tomorrow, but it's the idea that while all may still be on that list, those 22 who lined up & won the grand final, didn't all line up together in another match - always at least one player from the premiership team missing from future matches

edit - just had a quick look for cross overs from future years and stuck with Clark Keating & Beau McDonald; after the 2002 grand final, those 2 never played as teammates again. In 2003, McDonald's last game was round 14 & Keating's first game was round 15; while the next game McDonald played was round 5 2006, with his last game that year being round 12, and Keating's first game that year was round 16

Shows that you can keep the same 22 players on the list, but doesn't mean they'll play another match as that same 22 again

I think you miss understand me, the way the Twitter thing is worded is that the 22 was unique, Brisbane had a chance to do it, but never achieved it, but all of the players went on to play in another flag.

Richmond may do it and have the Grand Final team play together again, but thewy have only achieved what Brisbane has to date which is retaining them on the list:)

For the record:

2007: Nathan Ablett Retired
2009: Tom Harley Retired
2011: Brad Ottens, Cameron Ling Retired

Definitely. His back injury robbed him of being a genuine star.

i worry that he isn’t contesting at all now. The signs were there late last year too. One on one he is final cos then it’s about body position and strength. With a pack you also need some jump. He ain’t jumping at all anymore.
This creates problems for the rest of the forwards. If the full forward won't compete for pack marks, the mid-sized forwards (Rohan, Dangerfield) have to. Flying for pack marks is essential for KPFs.

Younger, gut running teams that play on due to this new rule are going to rip us apart.

It’s only early, but the terrible signs we saw against the bombers in the praccy match were on show Saturday. A long season back to normal quarters with games being quicker, for a list going for a last hurrah with ageing stars, could get messy.

It's only round 1 but the new rule was on display and emphasised on the bigger grounds like Optus and the G - fast flowing end to end footy with far less contested ball and stoppages.
This should be a huge red flag for the coaching group , I agree with you that unless we adjust it will get very messy.
We do have the cattle to give it a go - Clark and Atkins will assist as will Smith and Higgins provided they stay fresh. The days of the too tall defence are gone as quick transition out of defence will create overlaps and less pressured forward entries.
I also think we need our small forwards to hit the scoreboard - not just deliver pressure. Miers needs to be closer to goal and Evans and Close , maybe Taheny should play a few games to see what they can deliver.
With Paddy out Constable gets a chance - a lot of focus on his running ability but let's see how he goes getting his hands on it and creating play , make the opposition chase for a change ;)

I dont think we are going to be as slow and decrepit as some make out.
But
We should have expected Adelaide to come out like they did. They nearly got us last year with a similar approach. Players should have expected heat around the ball. Not rocket science. A lot of teams will be taking note..
I do think we need to be able to handle pressure a little bit better, as sides will see us as soft kill and prone to turnovers.
Perhaps some good old competitive training scenarios a la Bomber Thompson may help composure and decision making.
Emphasis on playing football rather than chess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back