Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

The midfield woes seems like a list management/recruitment problem. The good teams have 4 or 5 genuine midfielders and another few who can rotate through the middle. Look at Collingwood, Melbourne, Port, Brisbane, Bulldogs. Geelong has only two genuine midfielders, Dangerfield and Bruhn. Blicavs is the modern day utility who can rotate through the middle. Atkins, Holmes are playing midfield because we don't have any more genuine midfielders. We are 2 or 3 genuine midfielders short. On top of that we don't have a genuine ruckman. No wonder we are struggling. Geelong exceeded all expectations last year when injuries were not a problem, Selwood was captain and Cameron, Hawkins and Stengle had stellar form. This year we have not met expectations but they were not based on reality in the first place.
We have jhye clark and Conway waiting in the wings. So a good start imo

The zoning off in defence needs to get given the arse, opposition are just hitting up the forwards that are free by 10 metres and it's easy goals, go back to man on man and actually defending properly and we'd be far harder to score against.

The zoning off in defence needs to get given the arse, opposition are just hitting up the forwards that are free by 10 metres and it's easy goals, go back to man on man and actually defending properly and we'd be far harder to score against.
The days of total man on man are over. We just need to be more responsible with how much rope we give the opposition forwards. It's a fine balance.

The days of total man on man are over. We just need to be more responsible with how much rope we give the opposition forwards. It's a fine balance.

It’s called “attach/detach”. One of the most important AFL drills. On a constant basis, individually and as a group, when and how to switch from defence to offence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a question to those who are writing off our season.
If we comfortably account for the power and pies with arguably our two most important players missing over the next couple of weeks, would you reassess where this side is placed and admit that we are still a good chance for the flag?

If we comfortably account for the power and pies with arguably our two most important players missing over the next couple of weeks, would you reassess where this side is placed and admit that we are still a good chance for the flag?

No, we’re done.

It’s called “attach/detach”. One of the most important AFL drills. On a constant basis, individually and as a group, when and how to switch from defence to offence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geelong players are very attached to the detached part of it.

No because we’d roll out dumb losses to Saints and Dogs afterwards where Cameron kicks 2.11.

If there's a universe where that happened, it would definitely make things interesting. But it'd be a one of a kind year if something that unlikely happened.

If we turn into a good side will I say we are a good side... Yeah.

But we are not a good side... there are holes in it that can't be plugged... We are just about Zero chance for the flag.

I mean over the next few weeks we have the opportunity to see Neale get a game at FF, or SDK go forward and use Esava in defense, and my worry is they drop Esava forward which is the worst possible outcome.

But with players not in form and not deserving of a spot, and Neale/Dempsey/Knevitt killing it on the weekend, theres absolutely no excuses for some changes this week.
I agree. With our outs and form issues, I'd love to see all 3 of Neale/Dempsey/Knevitt get a run this weekend.

In reality though, I suspect Ratugolea will come in for Hawkins as a key defender, J Henry will go forward, and Parfitt or Menegola will come in for Blicavs.

Its why I stopped going on them. If you say ANYTHING negative you get jumped on. After a bad loss like the Freo match, everyone would still be like "this loss helps us iron out the kinks, you will look stupid when we go on a winning streak and win this years flag".
Anything negative you get jumped on.. you say. Hmmm interesting

Here's a potentially controversial idea: I don't know what's going on with the captain, but if what he's put out the last couple of weeks is the best he's got right now, maybe he needs to be managed for a week.

We won't get much (if any) less from Knevitt/Menegola/Parfitt, and if a week off allows the captain to get some mojo back, it would be worth it IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No choice to play the kids but I'll honestly lose my s**t if they have someone like Esava come in and play forward while we have guys like Neale available.

Time for a complete change in midfield though. Play Stewart there the whole game. None of this "start in mid and drop to defence" have him mid the whole game. Throw Bews in there. Get Knevitt in. For weeks now the midfield isn't working and nothing really changes besides occasionally putting Stewart in.
I saw a bit of the vfl highlights and Neale looked pretty clean, and he is a big unit. Give him a shot.

Can anyone unlock the mysteries of Rupert Murdoch's wall?

Cats coach Chris Scott says his side will have a new-look midfield to finish the season as Geelong chases a finals berth despite a shock loss to Fremantle.

The Cats dropped a surprising seven-point loss at GMHBA Stadium to the Dockers, failing to secure four points against a bottom-four side who is out of finals contention, with multiple injuries further souring the defeat.

Blicavs was quickly subbed out of the game in the second quarter after coming from the ground clutching at his hamstring, while Hawkins finished the day on the bench after also suffering discomfort late in the game.

Both Cats veterans will be scanned on Monday to determine the full extent of the damages, with Blicavs’ injury suspected to be a more significant tear compared to Hawkins.

“They said moderate hamstring strain (for Blicavs), and then Hawkins I actually haven’t really got a firm update except that he came off late and they said he couldn’t go back on but it seemed to be … not as significant as Blicavs,” Scott said.

“It’s hard to tell exactly where Hawkins is at.

“He (Rohan) is dynamic up the field, and he’s got some attributes, but it’s something that we have talked about because we always do, there’s potential of losing any player and what would you do, but we haven’t had the experience of being out without Blicavs for a long period of time.

“We’re just going to have to think outside the square a little bit there and come up with something that suits the rest of our system.”

Geelong opted to give a number of players chances in the midfield, running with Tyson Stengle, Brad Close, Tom Stewart, Gary Rohan and Jack Bowes at times.

Scott said it was not an ideal situation for the Cats, but it was good for the players’ development.

“They were in there a fair bit, (Brad) Close was in there … you can have guys that haven’t been in there that often and get beaten and you come away saying ‘was it a surprise that guys who don’t do many centre bounces get beaten by guys that do?’,” he said.

“It’s certainly worthy of thought.

“That’s been one of the upsides for us this year, we have seen quite a bit from guys that are new to our club.

“They’ve been right in the thick of it and have shown signs that they can be really good players for us.”

To be honest that would frustrate me even more considering the trash we've served up against bog average sides this year.

A convincing winning streak for the next four games might make me reconsider. But after 20 rounds, we are where we deserve to be, so it's unlikely we'll be able to string together a month of good footy, even more so without three of our most important players missing most of those games.

If we turn into a good side will I say we are a good side... Yeah.

But we are not a good side... there are holes in it that can't be plugged... We are just about Zero chance for the flag.
No doubt we've seen many players under-performing. Is this what you mean by holes?

I think Scott Gullen summed it up quite well. We look tired, slow & banged up. Missing the finals wouldn’t be the worst thing to be able to freshen up a bit better for 2024. Making finals, in particular PF’s & GF’s like we have the past 6-7 years to go with actually winning it last year, takes its toll.

I'm always happy to adjust my assessment when new information is available. So yes, if we win 4 on the bounce, including 2 against the top 2 sides, then maybe I'll think we're a sneaky chance to get on a run into finals.

But the more pertinent question is, what have you seen that suggests we'll win the next 4?

Will be a bit of soul searching at the Cattery before next year.

Isaac Smith is cooked. Will be amazed if he’s offered another contract. He knows it’s time I think. Knevitt steps up.

And Esava. Unless he’s bursting to get out the door I’d keep him. There’s a few at the club who reckon they see SDK as a forward alongside Jezza when Hawkins retires. That creates a spot for Esava until we develop someone else.
There's been talk about Smith going on. And I've been surprised how good he's been for us since we signed him. But I hope this is his last year.

I personally would like to keep Esava (although I think I'm in the minority here). But it won't be our choice to make. After not being picked for the past month, he'll seek a fresh start somewhere else. We won't have any say in it.

I'm always happy to adjust my assessment when new information is available. So yes, if we win 4 on the bounce, including 2 against the top 2 sides, then maybe I'll think we're a sneaky chance to get on a run into finals.

But the more pertinent question is, what have you seen that suggests we'll win the next 4?
I actually posed the question with a genuine interest, not rhetorically. Seems like often we react a lot to what's just happened on the past weekend without taking the broader view. So wanted to get a sense if people honestly really think we're just not a good side, and that all that beating the top teams now can show is that we've earned the title of 'pretenders', or if we think that it might show the potential that this team might still have for going a long way.

What have I seen myself? Nothing very closely I should say. But to be very honest: 1) a club that had the right formula not very long ago at all, 2) one that is probably the most professionally run in the AFL, always looking to contend and more importantly to improve, and 3) one that has been trying to get through a long season by avoiding calling on big performances by its best players week in week out and instead throwing the opportunity to new players and those more on the fringes.

Seen this year:

vs GC this year, 19pt loss
vs Rich this year, 24pt loss
vs Freo x2 this year, losses

vs Haw this year, 82pt win
vs Syd this year, 93pt win
vs Melb this year, 15pt win

We've had ups and downs and if you surf around various threads discussing these games you'll be sure to find posts that both say "we're cooked" and "we're back" all the same.

I could guarantee that if we win comfortably against Port this week, there'd be a myriad of posts saying "we're the danger."

Also, I think in the scheme of things its fair to point out what happened amongst Geelong's disappointment this week:
Coll loses to Carl
Lions lose to GC
Port lose to the Crows
Ergo, the expected winner does not always win.

I’d have thought that begs the question- what have you seen that makes you think we will ‘comfortably account for’ the Pies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back