Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Scott Gullen summed it up quite well. We look tired, slow & banged up. Missing the finals wouldn’t be the worst thing to be able to freshen up a bit better for 2024. Making finals, in particular PF’s & GF’s like we have the past 6-7 years to go with actually winning it last year, takes its toll.
That's it isn't it, we look out of gas.

I don't think it's physical either, it's mental. Takes a pre-season to fix that and re-gain the hunger, and it's why we've basically written off this year.

Seen this year:

vs GC this year, 19pt loss
vs Rich this year, 24pt loss
vs Freo x2 this year, losses

vs Haw this year, 82pt win
vs Syd this year, 93pt win
vs Melb this year, 15pt win

We've had ups and downs and if you surf around various threads discussing these games you'll be sure to find posts that both say "we're cooked" and "we're back" all the same.

I could guarantee that if we win comfortably against Port this week, there'd be a myriad of posts saying "we're the danger."

Also, I think in the scheme of things its fair to point out what happened amongst Geelong's disappointment this week:

Ergo, the expected winner does not always win.

I think the longer the season goes on the less people change their mind after a single result. But you're right, if we knock off Port or Collingwood, I'm sure there will be a few that talk us up again.

But I believe a lot in randomness. So there's always a chance we could win the flag from 8th, it could be because we're a quality side that had some bad luck earlier in the season; it could be because we've peaked at the right time; it could be because we're an average side who got lucky with 3 straight wins.

But the main issue now is we need to win games against the top 2 sides to even qualify for finals, which seems unlikely.

I actually posed the question with a genuine interest, not rhetorically. Seems like often we react a lot to what's just happened on the past weekend without taking the broader view. So wanted to get a sense if people honestly really think we're just not a good side, and that all that beating the top teams now can show is that we've earned the title of 'pretenders', or if we think that it might show the potential that this team might still have for going a long way.

What have I seen myself? Nothing very closely I should say. But to be very honest: 1) a club that had the right formula not very long ago at all, 2) one that is probably the most professionally run in the AFL, always looking to contend and more importantly to improve, and 3) one that has been trying to get through a long season by avoiding calling on big performances by its best players week in week out and instead throwing the opportunity to new players and those more on the fringes.
I didn't mean to come across as combative, I think it's a reasonable question. The fact we were successful relatively recently should give us some hope, or at least console us when we inevitably regress to the mean.

I think the broader view is that we currently sit 9th, and that's probably fair this season. Being a middle tier side is probably a fair assessment on our year. But there's a very big difference between finishing 8th and 9th in the sense that at least one of those gives you a chance of getting lucky at the right time of the year, however small that chance.

Cats coach Chris Scott says his side will have a new-look midfield to finish the season as Geelong chases a finals berth despite a shock loss to Fremantle.

The Cats dropped a surprising seven-point loss at GMHBA Stadium to the Dockers, failing to secure four points against a bottom-four side who is out of finals contention, with multiple injuries further souring the defeat.

Blicavs was quickly subbed out of the game in the second quarter after coming from the ground clutching at his hamstring, while Hawkins finished the day on the bench after also suffering discomfort late in the game.

Both Cats veterans will be scanned on Monday to determine the full extent of the damages, with Blicavs’ injury suspected to be a more significant tear compared to Hawkins.

“They said moderate hamstring strain (for Blicavs), and then Hawkins I actually haven’t really got a firm update except that he came off late and they said he couldn’t go back on but it seemed to be … not as significant as Blicavs,” Scott said.

“It’s hard to tell exactly where Hawkins is at.

“He (Rohan) is dynamic up the field, and he’s got some attributes, but it’s something that we have talked about because we always do, there’s potential of losing any player and what would you do, but we haven’t had the experience of being out without Blicavs for a long period of time.

“We’re just going to have to think outside the square a little bit there and come up with something that suits the rest of our system.”

Geelong opted to give a number of players chances in the midfield, running with Tyson Stengle, Brad Close, Tom Stewart, Gary Rohan and Jack Bowes at times.

Scott said it was not an ideal situation for the Cats, but it was good for the players’ development.

“They were in there a fair bit, (Brad) Close was in there … you can have guys that haven’t been in there that often and get beaten and you come away saying ‘was it a surprise that guys who don’t do many centre bounces get beaten by guys that do?’,” he said.

“It’s certainly worthy of thought.

“That’s been one of the upsides for us this year, we have seen quite a bit from guys that are new to our club.

“They’ve been right in the thick of it and have shown signs that they can be really good players for us.”
As always our coach is impossible to read…

‘’could “new look” actually be back to an old look bringing Parfitt back with Sav and menegola? And putting Duncan and Stewart inside more. It is different but old…

‘’or could we actually see some of the forwards rotate much more in the centre sqaure. Stengle is a natural clearance player who could then go forward after stoppage and have HHF swap? Close I think could develop…Rohan lookEd every bit “Blitz like”

‘’I would love to see the real new different look but not sure we would be that bold

Just a question to those who are writing off our season.
If we comfortably account for the power and pies with arguably our two most important players missing over the next couple of weeks, would you reassess where this side is placed and admit that we are still a good chance for the flag?

No from me, though if that happens we’ll probably play Finals.

If there's a universe where that happened, it would definitely make things interesting. But it'd be a one of a kind year if something that unlikely happened.
What they said.

After watching them on the tele the week before and being at the game on Saturday, I feel they are just too far down and out of sorts. Many players just look done physically and mentally.

Sav rucked majority of the VFL so feels obvious hes going to come in for Blitz whether we like it or not.
I think you are right. Although rucking was mainly as we didn’t have a person to do it given Cegs lasted less than a half before being injured. The back up ruckman only had pinch hit capabilities.

hard to tell whether Sav did a good job as opposition rucks were poor.

in any event I can see them arguing Sav offers flexibility so they will pick him

I think you are right. Although rucking was mainly as we didn’t have a person to do it given Cegs lasted less than a half before being injured. The back up ruckman only had pinch hit capabilities.

hard to tell whether Sav did a good job as opposition rucks were poor.

in any event I can see them arguing Sav offers flexibility so they will pick him
Not my preference (no Sav is) but could they play Neale and Sav? Effectively Ratugolea replacing Blicavs and Neale replacing Hawkins? Would still require replacing Blicavs’ midfield minutes. I’d love to see Knevitt again.

Not my preference (no Sav is) but could they play Neale and Sav? Effectively Ratugolea replacing Blicavs and Neale replacing Hawkins? Would still require replacing Blicavs’ midfield minutes. I’d love to see Knevitt again.
I think it will be one or the other but maybe. In particular if there is a third injury. Which I think there is.

I can understand why JL gave him votes, given his Docker score involvements but cmon Chris…

Geelong v Fremantle​

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
7 Luke Jackson (FRE)
7 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
4 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what i'm most interested in. You'd think Esava comes in with a reshuffle given he is probably the next tall in line, even though none of the outs are defenders. Perhaps Neale too, to play up forward.

But Bilcavs out means our midfield, which has been pummelled the last 2 weeks, is now even weaker. Bringing in Esava or Neale doesn't fix this. They need to bring in midfield reinforcements while also finding talls to play ruck and forward

I can understand why JL gave him votes, given his Docker score involvements but cmon Chris…

Geelong v Fremantle​

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
7 Luke Jackson (FRE)
7 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
4 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)
It’s not a huge surprise, he was excellent for roughly 85% of the game, terrible for the last 15%

It’s tricky to asses, how much weight you give the final 15 minutes when rating performance?

So here is a question…

IF we lose the next two against Port and Collingwood (I think we will win at least 1 but…) would we bother bringing back Guthrie in 2023 - or leave him to be fresh for a great pre season? I suppose same with Hawkins and Blitz - but don’t know what their injury prospects are yet?

Geelong v Fremantle​

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
7 Luke Jackson (FRE)
7 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
4 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)
The disastrous state of the season now makes more sense if this is the way he views the game!

It’s not a huge surprise, he was excellent for roughly 85% of the game, terrible for the last 15%

It’s tricky to asses, how much weight you give the final 15 minutes when rating performance?
Not that tricky when it was the period in which we lost the game and he was directly responsible.

Just a question to those who are writing off our season.
If we comfortably account for the power and pies with arguably our two most important players missing over the next couple of weeks, would you reassess where this side is placed and admit that we are still a good chance for the flag?
No. Don’t give yourself false hope. The season is done.

Geelong v Fremantle​

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
7 Luke Jackson (FRE)
7 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
4 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)
Justin Timberlake What GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back