Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

And if he’s terrible for 85% of the game, and excellent for the final 15 minutes we lose by 5+ goals.

I didn’t have him in my votes, but I get it.
As I said elsewhere, if he didn’t play the game we win it.

It’s not a huge surprise, he was excellent for roughly 85% of the game, terrible for the last 15%

It’s tricky to asses, how much weight you give the final 15 minutes when rating performance?
Agreed, he was outstanding the first half, a bit choppy in the third quarter and awful in the last. But we had a chance to win when we got in front and needed him at his best late - those last few errors were just SO bad it took him out of the votes for me.

The coaches generally know their stuff though. There have also been great Stewart games where he didn't poll. I personally thought Ryan was probably a bit better in a similar rebounding role.

He wasn’t that horrendous. His first quarter was good. Then he went downhill.
There’s no way he alone cost us the game.

The problem is, that with Stewarts 11 turnovers, more than a few lead directly to attacking plays & even goals

I know Bowes copped a bit on here for the 2nd quarter goal from the goal square, but that passage started with Stewart hitting a Fremantle player on the chest just outside their 50m arc. The ball comes straight back in towards goal, and yes Bowes fumbled but Stewart was also standing on the goal line watching what happened - it's the sort of passage that if Kolodjashnij or Bews who were the originally kicker of the ball, the criticism would have been directed at them for the initial turnover, rather than the player who fumbled in the goal square

The problem is, that with Stewarts 11 turnovers, more than a few lead directly to attacking plays & even goals

I know Bowes copped a bit on here for the 2nd quarter goal from the goal square, but that passage started with Stewart hitting a Fremantle player on the chest just outside their 50m arc. The ball comes straight back in towards goal, and yes Bowes fumbled but Stewart was also standing on the goal line watching what happened - it's the sort of passage that if Kolodjashnij or Bews who were the originally kicker of the ball, the criticism would have been directed at them for the initial turnover, rather than the player who fumbled in the goal square
I agree he had a poor game after the first quarter. He’s not escaping criticism.

But I cannot agree that he was the reason we lost the game. There was a lot of reasons why we lost. Did he contribute to it? Yes. But so did most of the team.
I thought SDK was worse. Danger had 15 touches as our captain and best mid. We needed a big game from him.
Cameron kicked 1.5. Hawkins played behind his man for the entire game and his direct opponent was the best player on the field.
O’Connor gathered the ball in defensive 50, walked into a tackle, dropped the ball and they kicked a goal.
The performance was horrific all round.
I highly doubt we win the game without Stewart.

I agree he had a poor game after the first quarter. He’s not escaping criticism.

But I cannot agree that he was the reason we lost the game. There was a lot of reasons why we lost. Did he contribute to it? Yes. But so did most of the team.
I thought SDK was worse. Danger had 15 touches as our captain and best mid. We needed a big game from him.
Cameron kicked 1.5. Hawkins played behind his man for the entire game and his direct opponent was the best player on the field.
O’Connor gathered the ball in defensive 50, walked into a tackle, dropped the ball and they kicked a goal.
The performance was horrific all round.
I highly doubt we win the game without Stewart.

One thing I would have liked to see from Stewart was the realisation within himself that he wasn't having a good game, especially by foot and that he should probably have stopped calling for the ball - we know he likes ball in hand and often is a good instigator of our attacking drives, but it just wasn't happening on Saturday

I think I actually laughed with one of his last turnovers - Guthrie kicked into the middle to O'Connor who marked it and likely should have gone back and then gone quickly into the forward 50. Instead, Stewart runs past for the handball receive (which he gets) before he then has his kick smothered for an easy take away by Fremantle

I thought that really summed up Stewarts afternoon - no doubt he was getting more frustrated with himself with every turnover, but he then seemed to be putting too much pressure on himself to execute the next time but not sure things really clicked for him after half time.

Just a question to those who are writing off our season.
If we comfortably account for the power and pies with arguably our two most important players missing over the next couple of weeks, would you reassess where this side is placed and admit that we are still a good chance for the flag?
The problem is knowing this team at the moment we might belt Port and Pies and follow it up with losses to Saints and Dogs to miss finals on percentage.

How are we favourites for the port game?
It legitimately makes no sense. It has to be due to the fact Port haven't won in Geelong for a while. Both teams have injuries, but I would argue losing Blicavs and Hawkins hurts us way more than Port losing Aliir and having to travel interstate.

It legitimately makes no sense. It has to be due to the fact Port haven't won in Geelong for a while. Both teams have injuries, but I would argue losing Blicavs and Hawkins hurts us way more than Port losing Aliir and having to travel interstate.
They haven't beaten us in Geelong since Rd 21 2007.

Another interesting fact - out of the past 13 encounters between the sides, only 3 have been at KP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few teams (the ones you mentioned) seem to have worked out that KP is just another footy ground. Not a cheat ground, just a ground.

All teams used to know this. Expect other teams to work it out again eventually.

The Selwood era disguised this.
A couple months ago Bartell pretty much explained how teams usually screw up there due to surprising length of the field and how they tended to try to enter F50 early and kicked shallow to interceptors.

How are we favourites for the port game?
They've lost three in a row, including two thrashings, and will be without Allir to counteract Hawkins for us (admittedly we have Blicavs too). A few of their players are running on fumes like us. Home ground advantage is what swings it. Geelong tend to save their poor home performances for GWS and Freo.

I'd still have Port as marginal favourites probably but it's close.

Is he concussed?
Not "officially" as of yet, as he didn't fail the concussion test and Port haven't said anything yet. AFL have asked for a please explain, probably a 20k fine for Port and they probably have to leave Aliir out this week because he looked like he copped a concussion.

Edit:
1690799513068.png

Last edited:
Not "officially" as of yet, as he didn't fail the concussion test and Port haven't said anything yet. AFL have asked for a please explain, probably a 20k fine for Port and they probably have to leave Aliir out this week because he looked like he copped a concussion.

Edit:
View attachment 1761297
Was it a sneaky attempt to get out of the minimum layoff for concussion or was it just the club not bothering with the concussion test when it happened like Sydney with Mcartin?

Was it a sneaky attempt to get out of the minimum layoff for concussion or was it just the club not bothering with the concussion test when it happened like Sydney with Mcartin?
Port have done this before, they copped a 20k fine for doing this with Butters and Jonas last year. But Aliir was out cold, don't know how he doesn't get tested.

Port have done this before, they copped a 20k fine for doing this with Butters and Jonas last year. But Aliir was out cold, don't know how he doesn't get tested.
AFL needs to go hard on them then for repeated behaviour you can not be picking and choosing when to follow health protocols

Remove this Banner Ad

Back