Autopsy Cats lose to GWS by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While he adds value in this regard lets not insanely overstate this. He averages two tackles a game. Its extremely low. He probably makes a run down tackle once every three games. when he chases defensively it looks amazing cos he is so fast. Its memorable. But he really does not do it all that often. Parfit is more valuable in defensive foward roles then rohan.
His tackling numbers may not be high. But perceived pressure and his manic chasing absolutely leads to turnovers.

Which players will leave end season?
What's the likely exodus?
Stanley?
Rohan?
Duncan?
Tuohy?
Hawkins
Smith? He seems to be still capable of firing up

Stanleys manager says he wants to play on but depends on his injury as his vision sounds bad. But unless we bring in 2 rucks (for example tdk and flynn) i think we have to let stanley go on as we are thin for rucks.

Duncan is contracted on big money (id say retire otherwise but that wont happen).

Smith is playing very well but i think he retires.

Ceglar definite his body is going.

Menegola will go retirement or FA.

Tuohy should retire especially to allow mullin etc to come through.

Rohan is a tough one-he is playing very well but ollie henry is clearly developing so well and im not sure you can fit them both in the same side? So maybe rohan gets pushed.

Hawkins i think is 50/50 id love to see him go on and break the games record but he also might want to retire.

Danger will go on (again contracted) as will bews for the same reasons although i think jed will be in the vfl next year.

Hawaii Five 0 What GIF by ION

I know he looks slow at times, but he seems to have looked that way the last few years

I can see him playing for another 2 years if his body & mind let him

Neale on the sidelines so far this year also comes into it, and I'm not sure Foster is necessarily ready to step into the FF spot in the senior team

I'd like to see a year of transition with Hawkins & Neale, with the latter being able to play alongside the veteran and learn from him as part of the changing of the guard process
Tomahawk looks slow all the time but he is still one of our most important players. Rohan's speed covers for Hawkins and also helps Hawkins get one on ones where he excels.

Some more random observations in the light of day...

* Cameron's not off the boil - I reckon he is carrying a niggle, but always puts in. Amazing player

* Parfitt - thought he was ok

* O'Connor had a shocker - has had a good year IMO, not his night though

* Miers - work has paid off. Kick to Jezz was incredible

* Ratugolea - if I was playing near him I would be concerned about his huge body smashing into me at any moment. It is an issue

* Ceglar did well, and has been since being in the team. That is all. Totally agree

* At a team level, watching the Giants spread and have options through the corridor time and time again was probably the most frustrating thing about last night. I can be critical of our backline but our midfield (I know, it's a pretty loose term at this point) did bugger all to help them out again. Very frustrating but if Hawk and Jezz are carrying knocks it does not help.

* Extending on that defensive pressure theme - 4 F50 tackles for the whole game? No wonder they could waltz it up the field. Disappointing from Close, Stengle, and Henry. Hawkins wasn't moving quite right - could be injured? Either way, it made things too easy for them. Yep
I'd add that Bews is also carrying a niggle, JHenry copped a knock, SDK was played out of position.

a lot of dramatic reactions on here.

Reality is with the team we have playing we are a 10th-12th ish side. We have lost 4 of our best midfielders in an area of the ground we are naturally shallow in.. we don’t have callan ward Tom green and coniglio Whitfield to throw in there as backups.. GWS have always had a freakish amount of midfield depth due to the huge quantity of top ten draft picks. It’s something they could cover but not us in that area.

Our midfield work is the worst in the league at present. I can’t think of a team it would beat right now?? Not even hawks or WCE.

You need to at least break even and be competitive. With how it is panning out our defense and forward line cannot function tactically as they need to. It is an overload on both areas of the ground from the poor middle work.. it is like trying to win a chess game when your opponent has full control of the center of the board.

a lot of dramatic reactions on here.

Reality is with the team we have playing we are a 10th-12th ish side. We have lost 4 of our best midfielders in an area of the ground we are naturally shallow in.. we don’t have callan ward Tom green and coniglio Whitfield to throw in there as backups.. GWS have always had a freakish amount of midfield depth due to the huge quantity of top ten draft picks. It’s something they could cover but not us in that area.

Our midfield work is the worst in the league at present. I can’t think of a team it would beat right now?? Not even hawks or WCE.

You need to at least break even and be competitive. With how it is panning out our defense and forward line cannot function tactically as they need to. It is an overload on both areas of the ground from the poor middle work.. it is like trying to win a chess game when your opponent has full control of the center of the board.

All worsened by a reduced desire to work hard enough.

The frustrating thing for Geelong - is this year it is an absolute garbage comp - utter garbage

Cats just have to somehow qualify in the 8 - and might end up with some more silverware

The standard of the comp this year - Dimmeys wouldnt be out of place making and presenting the Premiership Cup

Agree with that 100% we just need to get to the finals fit and in form as the standard of the comp is crap.

I'd add that Bews is also carrying a niggle, JHenry copped a knock, SDK was played out of position.

Yeah, not a fan of moving SDK around just because we have Sav back there. Moot point for the next few weeks.

Thought Bews was OK - certainly played worse other weeks.

But yeah, we're a banged up mob at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, not a fan of moving SDK around just because we have Sav back there. Moot point for the next few weeks.

We have a lot of guys playing banged up because of the long injury list

The only silver lining out of sav being injured is sdk has to play back next week..him playing fwd is stupid.

All worsened by a reduced desire to work hard enough.
I am in the Clarkson Scott boat of thought that effort doesn’t come into things. Nobody goes out there not wanting to try or put effort in… not at that level. I get why it’s peoples first idea to revert to whenever things go bad, but I don’t buy into it. I feel it’s mostly personell and structure that causes teams issues.

Agree with that 100% we just need to get to the finals fit and in form as the standard of the comp is crap.
Port, Lions, Pies- all may have a home final or 2, and their form, depth and talent is not crap.
We are getting beaten by bottom 8 teams- it is definitely us at present looking crap.

I am in the Clarkson Scott boat of thought that effort doesn’t come into things. Nobody goes out there not wanting to try or put effort in… not at that level. I get why it’s peoples first idea to revert to whenever things go bad, but I don’t buy into it. I feel it’s mostly personell and structure that causes teams issues.

Effort can be employed in varying degrees.

Some days people will do just what they have to. Other days people turn it right up from a motivation like trying 'to prove a point'.

Do I believe that every footballer goes out every game and gives the full 100% effort he is capable of?

No, I don't.

Effort comes from the mind and it's state of happiness, which can be distracted by all sorts of issues arising within their personal life, business life, friendships etc.....and there are days where every single person on this planet just doesn't feel motivated. Footballers are no different.

The personal motivation can, does, wax and wane, and with that, so does the mental and physical effort they exert, knowingly or not.

It's why motivational speakers exist, and coaches look for those motivational speeches to urge their players on to doing better.

It's why they challenge their players individually at times. They expect a reaction in the player's emotion and mindset to notch up their efforts.

Imo.

Some days people will do just what they have to. Other days people turn it right up from a motivation like trying 'to prove a point'.

Do I believe that every footballer goes out every game and gives the full 100% effort he is capable of?

No, I don't.

Effort comes from the mind and it's state of happiness, which can be distracted by all sorts of issues arising within their personal life, business life, friendships etc.....and there are days where every single person on this planet just doesn't feel motivated. Footballers are no different.

The personal motivation can, does, wax and wane, and with that, so does the mental and physical effort they exert, knowingly or not.

It's why motivational speakers exist, and coaches look for those motivational speeches to urge their players on to doing better.

It's why they challenge their players individually at times. They expect a reaction in the player's emotion and mindset to notch up their efforts.

Imo.
Fair point that you are entitled to hold, not going to argue it is wrong, it is just not something I think is wrong with us or ever a focal point. I know Clarkson used to brush it off and so does Scott and I tend to agree. Most elite level athletes are very highly motivated and don’t lack effort generally speaking and have the worlds finest at their disposal in terms of physical mental health support and also very well financially compensated and have great work life balance in their own time.
I tend to look at strategy and game plans personnel available and structures as the primary cause of loses and performance. I’d say that easily drives 95% of outcomes. The rest you can dive down to other things

Last year was the perfect time for him to retire.
But gee I wish he had gone 1 more year. He would be pretty handy in the midfield right now.
We’d still be struggling and people would be saying he went on one too long.

Gotta feel for SDK... He has had a wild year.

Last year he just locks into one position and becomes one of the comp's premier key backs whilst playing basically all year hassle-free.

This year he starts back, gets banged up, plays ruck, gets banged up, misses games, comes back with a face mask, and plays forward.

Absolutely all over the shop this year with him.

Fair point that you are entitled to hold, not going to argue it is wrong, it is just not something I think is wrong with us or ever a focal point. I know Clarkson used to brush it off and so does Scott and I tend to agree. Most elite level athletes are very highly motivated and don’t lack effort generally speaking and have the worlds finest at their disposal in terms of physical mental health support and also very well financially compensated and have great work life balance in their own time.
I tend to look at strategy and game plans personnel available and structures as the primary cause of loses and performance. I’d say that easily drives 95% of outcomes. The rest you can dive down to other things

Let me put it another way.

Why do some athletes excel where more talented competitors do not?

What often differentiates the top competitor from all others?

Their drive, their competitive spirit, their sheer desire to climb the mountain. The beast within. The effort they exert to extract every last drop of performance.

That often beats pure talent.

Talent is nothing without drive. The strength of their drive to do whatever it takes on any given day is what separates competitors.

Anyhow, I'm no doubt boring many here so I'll leave it at that. I agree with what you're saying, but reckon complacency IS a thing, and should be considered.

No, I don't.

Imo.

Motivation, the ability to drive yourself further, is to get an edge, and all Clubs have belief in it for that reason.
Being the best you can be, to support mental processes of confidence when you're lining up on the opposition stars.
It's an Ottens or Rohan run down, it's a Selwood head over the ball.
It's not to make a player perform when he just can't be effed. That's the player who's playing for Modewarre thirds.
AFL players go to work, it's employment in an elite, competitive, fishbowl space. Coasters don't get a game.
What can be perceived as lack of effort is in truth, at this level, a lack of skill and inability to read the game.

Last edited:
not sure we can know that
execution and confidence are strongly linked
Yep for example what about the kick from Zuth - nobody near him- just did a shocking execution of skill. And I thought - he has been so good with disposal - how can that kick happen ? Has to be confidence. And we are seeing fair bit of that.

Motivation, the ability to drive yourself further, is to get an edge, and all Clubs have belief in it for that reason.
Being the best you can be, to support mental processes of confidence when you're lining up on the opposition stars.
It's an Ottens or Rohan run down, it's a Selwood head over the ball.
It's not to make a player perform when he just can't be effed. That's the player who's playing for Modewarre thirds.
AFL players go to work, it's employment in an elite, competitive, fishbowl space. Coasters don't get a game.
What can be perceived as lack of effort is in truth, at this level, a lack of skill.

I see it differently, but that's BF, hey?!

To me, if a player can be invited to drive themselves further it means they're coming from an initial position of less than 100%.

I see it differently, but that's BF, hey?!

To me, if a player can be invited to drive themselves further it means they're coming from an initial position of less than 100%.

It's to get them to 110%.
Wiser heads than us have argued this on data since Adam was a boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back