Autopsy Cats lose to GWS by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lions are consistent finals pretenders as are port their conversion rate in finals says that. They will bomb out in prelims as they do every other year.

That’s what everyone said about us until last year. And tbf it was justified. How many prelims had we lost in the last decade?

I’m not saying we can’t beat these teams. Yes, we’ve had a lot of injuries. Yes, 3 months is a long time.

But it’s a bit arrogant to write off port and Brisbane based on the past few years. They’re clearly tracking better than us, at the moment at least.

Lions are consistent finals pretenders as are port their conversion rate in finals says that. They will bomb out in prelims as they do every other year.
Pies are very fit and well coached which is their 1 wood but they dont have a lot of star power which means they could well be vulnerable in finals (when the cream rises).

No doubt we are crap but thats because we have injured guys playing, best 12 players out and no cohesion.
If we are at our best (we have to be fully fit and in form) no one in the top 8 worries me except melbourne (and i do think at our absolute best we can get them).
As were we prior to 2022.

As were we prior to 2022.
Not on the same scale. Lions straight setted on home finals at the Gabba twice and got done in a prelim really easily twice (one also at the Gabba).

With this group of players (mostly): Geelong mostly got knocked back by that great Richmond side including twice at the G, then two away finals at Port and of course the Melbourne gastro belting.

Brisbane did somewhat redeem themselves before the prelim belting last year.

Port aren't that bad. Just one horrific home final prelim thrashing by Bulldogs, although also missed a golden chance to knock off that Richmond side at home.

Lions look good at home. Port also strong at home but also not bad away. Both good sides, but 2nd-8th is going to be pretty even this season.

Ah bigfooty
A place where you have all the people just pile on when we lose and are silent during the week

Love this place
Yep, and the same people who think everything we touch turns to gold when we're winning....do a full 180 off a few losses. It happens every time.

I say it a lot because it's true, it's never as good as it seems, and it's never as bad as it seems. Footy encapsulates this so much, as it's a game of inches and moments going your way or not going your way.

We may not win it this year, but after seeing so much success I know we'll see another one soon...maybe even just next year.

This club has found a way for almost 20 years, I see no reason that after a couple tough weeks we should suddenly throw away that belief.

Not on the same scale. Lions straight setted on home finals at the Gabba twice and got done in a prelim really easily twice (one also at the Gabba).

With this group of players (mostly): Geelong mostly got knocked back by that great Richmond side including twice at the G, then two away finals at Port and of course the Melbourne gastro belting.

Brisbane did somewhat redeem themselves before the prelim belting last year.

Port aren't that bad. Just one horrific home final prelim thrashing by Bulldogs, although also missed a golden chance to knock off that Richmond side at home.

Lions look good at home. Port also strong at home but also not bad away. Both good sides, but 2nd-8th is going to be pretty even this season.
If we can't win it I'm on the Port train. Would love to see Kenny get a flag and their supporters on BF are a decent bunch.

It does help being a Cats supporter, as we will have the ultimate trump card over them until the end of time...but I do have a soft spot for them.

Yep, and the same people who think everything we touch turns to gold when we're winning....do a full 180 off a few losses. It happens every time.

I say it a lot because it's true, it's never as good as it seems, and it's never as bad as it seems. Footy encapsulates this so much, as it's a game of inches and moments going your way or not going your way.

We may not win it this year, but after seeing so much success I know we'll see another one soon...maybe even just next year.

This club has found a way for almost 20 years, I see no reason that after a couple tough weeks we should suddenly throw away that belief.
I'd say most supporters have a "baby out with the bathwater" approach to set backs and difficult periods. Thus they despise the refusal of players and staff to concede the season is over when we're 5-5 or 5-6 with key players to return or play to their best (some recent returnees will naturally take time).

It's never worse than after a loss to a team outside the 8. If anything it's the opposite for me. If we are stumbling through our run of games Vs Bulldogs (twice), Port (twice), Melbourne, Brisbane, St Kilda and Collingwood then I'll know season 2023 is beyond us. Win against Bulldogs and we are one win behind them. Beat Melbourne and we could be one game behind them. Season ain't done yet.

Last edited:
Not buying into other peoples discussions BUT I do think it is the friendly thing to do for all posters to clearly identify the player you are talking about in the post. Common nicknames etc OK , but variations especially with a newish player confuse. Makes for a much more easy and enjoyable read. Saves back tracking.
I call it lazy. It's something the newer generation have become accustomed to.

Injuries to far too many of the ones ..id like to see. Obviously we would have loved to have seen Conway and Neale.. bad luck and circumstance has impeded who we can select. Id think it would be a good week to play well in the VFL for Chlosey and Willis but the issue is they are being brought into a side under duress..not eased in as it would be done with a high degree of availability.

Cerainly will be in interesting the way we approach the MSD. I think the season is going to get away from us... so id prefer to try and find somebody for the long term.....

Very keen on getting a feel for how close Toby Conway is to contributing - likely still at least one more preseason before he is able to impact with any kind of consistency; I, for one, will remain patient.

Is this gonna be 1993 all over again? Hampered by injury, fly home, be considered the best side in the comp yet miss finals?
Beat pies late in the year like we did the eagles.
30 year anniversary

My memory of 93 is probably distorted by GA5 ... but how many injuries did we have? My memory of it was the players were unhappy trying a different method ..an in a similar situation to 07 ... had meeting after losing to the saints at Waverley and with 5 rounds to go and unleashed a happier style... Love to hear Blights recollection of it.
I guess the main difference is that season was sandwiched in a Premiership era.Only time will tell if we return to contention with a fit list next year or we are see the long predicted San Andreas fault like event to signal the end of the last two decades...

Very keen on getting a feel for how close Toby Conway is to contributing - likely still at least one more preseason before he is able to impact with any kind of consistency; I, for one, will remain patient.

I think the club is doing the right thing ..but we do have to be proactive. We need to add another tall to develop incase this is Conway being another Daw Simpson.

Transition is always hard. Whether its the start or the finish. ..and injuries this year is the flip side of a mature list. Probably to be expected. The older ones starting to fragment while the younger ones not quite ready. What I love is the soothsayers of doom. slipping down the ladder means new faces... and thats renewal. Its a process of sporting reincarnation...

I may have imagined it but was Callan Ward sighted for a dangerous tackle on Tanner Bruhn early in the first qtr on Sat.
He received a free kick. (Any footage?)

I remember watching it from 50m away and thinking it was a definite week?

Or maybe I’m just seething about the current adjudication of these dangerous tackles including the Brad Close suspension where it was advised that Brad should have tackled and then let go of the player in a slip second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baby Bombers to win 23 flag?
Couchy told us at a meeting that was definitely the year we were the best team and better than 89,92,94, and 95 losing GF teams
But missed the finals after winning last 5 including a home win against the soon to be premiers essendon Then Blight said he had found the recipe … for 94!!! And that was questioned after an average start to that season…

Last edited:
Baby Bombers to win 23 flag?
Couchy told us at a meeting that was definitely the year we were the best team and better than 89,92,94, and 95 losing GF teams

sounds eerily similar to 2008 ..without the redemption

Im not sure I agree. 92 was the year ...bit hard to say a side that went 3rd, 10th, 3rd , 1st, 7th, 4th, 2nd, 7th , 2nd .... and say the 7th was the best side. If so whats that based on ..the purity of GA at FF? Beating the premiers second last game in that run of 5... cause up till then we had won 7 from 16

I may have imagined it but was Callan Ward sighted for a dangerous tackle on Tanner Bruhn early in the first qtr on Sat.
He received a free kick. (Any footage?)

I remember watching it from 50m away and thinking it was a definite week?

Or maybe I’m just seething about the current adjudication of these dangerous tackles including the Brad Close suspension where it was advised that Brad should have tackled and then let go of the player in a slip second.
Pretty much right in front of me. Yeah ward drove his head straight into the ground. I remember thinking he will get a week for that.
Nothing has been said though.

Let me put it another way.

Why do some athletes excel where more talented competitors do not?

What often differentiates the top competitor from all others?

Their drive, their competitive spirit, their sheer desire to climb the mountain. The beast within. The effort they exert to extract every last drop of performance.

That often beats pure talent.

Talent is nothing without drive. The strength of their drive to do whatever it takes on any given day is what separates competitors.

Anyhow, I'm no doubt boring many here so I'll leave it at that. I agree with what you're saying, but reckon complacency IS a thing, and should be considered.
Theres a lot more hard working plodders who dont make it than talented people who dont put the work in. Id guess 50 Charlie Constables for each Nathan Ablett.

My memory was that Blight was so upset with 92 after seeing a 24 point lead slip, that he changed to a more defensive game plan in 93.

Players struggled with it and Blight let the shackles off and we played a brilliant albeit futile last month of football
It was only futile cos the pies let a 5 goal lead to the crows slip in the final match. If we sneaked in to the top 6 (they changed it to the top 8 the very next season) then geelong would of started the finals flag favourites. From sixth.

But missed the finals after winning last 5 including a home win against the soon to be premiers essendon Then Blight said he had found the recipe … for 94!!! And that was questioned after an average start to that season…
The recipe was a fit barry stoneham. Played Injured and missing for most of 93 then came back in the last 4 games of the season fit and was absolutely flying. played better then gary ablett and wayne carey in those 4 games.

he missed the first 12 games of the 94 season. Then played injured and broke his leg before finals.

It was only futile cos the pies let a 5 goal lead to the crows slip in the final match. If we sneaked in to the top 6 (they changed it to the top 8 the very next season) then geelong would of started the finals flag favourites. From sixth.

And would have walked in the Premiership. Maybe I'm biased but the Cats at the end of the year were clearly the best team.

The recipe was a fit barry stoneham. Played Injured and missing for most of 93 then came back in the last 4 games of the season fit and was absolutely flying. played better then gary ablett and wayne carey in those 4 games.

he missed the first 12 games of the 94 season. Then played injured and broke his leg before finals.
Stoneham is forgotten at times. Was elite for a period of time.

Sometimes see him in Melb CBd in business attire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back