Autopsy Cats lose to GWS by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And would have walked in the Premiership. Maybe I'm biased but the Cats at the end of the year were clearly the best team.
In the last 4 games we played the four top sides in the comp.

we beat nth by over 90 points, hawks by over 80 points, bombers by over 30 points and the eagles in subiaco by 20 points back when winning in perth was incredibly difficult.

If only they bought in the final 8 a year earlier.

Last edited:

we beat nth by over 90 points, hawks by over 80 points, bombers by over 30 points and the eagles in subiaco by 20 points back when winning in perth was incredibly difficult.

EFA.

They needed to either kick another 5 or 6 goals against the eagles. It meant watching the Pies v Crows game on Sunday hoping for a Collingwood win. Needless to say, they didn't do us any favours.

The recipe was a fit barry stoneham. Played Injured and missing for most of 93 then came back in the last 4 games of the season fit and was absolutely flying. played better then gary ablett and wayne carey in those 4 games.

he missed the first 12 games of the 94 season. Then played injured and broke his leg before finals.
Yeah, but the fondest memories of 93 was Ablett Snr’s first official full year at full forward. 124 goals in 17 games at an average of 7.3 a game!
14.7 vs bombers in a losing team (I was there)
11.0 vs demons in a losing team (I was there)
10.6 vs kangaroos on Micky Martyn for goal 100 (I was there)
12 vs tigers to get to 45 from first 5 games!
7 vs woods at Vic park / Daicos 8..
Loved Gaz Snr!

The recipe was a fit barry stoneham. Played Injured and missing for most of 93 then came back in the last 4 games of the season fit and was absolutely flying. played better then gary ablett and wayne carey in those 4 games.

he missed the first 12 games of the 94 season. Then played injured and broke his leg before finals.

From memory he got himself suspended against Footscray. But no doubt it was the best form of his career:

Round 18 v North - 25 disposals, 8 marks, 5 goals
Round 19 v Hawthorn - 13 disposals, 9 marks, 4 goals
Round 21 v Essendon - 25 disposals, 10 marks, 4 goals
Round 22 v West Coast - 25 disposals, 6 marks, 4 goals

So 17 goals in 4 games. Ablett chimed in with 26 in those 4 games as well.

From memory he got himself suspended against Footscray. But no doubt it was the best form of his career:

I went to that game - Sat afternoon at the MCG -great uncomplicated days back then - because a walk up start like me who just decides at the last minute what they are going to do for the day- could just buy a ticket at the gate for $20 and get in - no booking tickets or any of that nonsense

Geelong played champagne football and tore Nth Melb ( Carey didnt play must mention ) to pieces - Trevor Poole played a slashing game

Re Stoneham i think it was him - but right near the end and the margin just under 100 pts - but Geel got a double goal - 2 goals instead of 1 - might have been Stoneham - kicked a goal - got flattened - and they gave him another kick for another goal - something like that happened right at the death

But back then - when players were all in their proper positions - and Geel were in the mood and put on a blitz there was no better team to watch doing it - just class - skillful football

Just looking at our premiership defences and the "trend" is they are getting worse

2008(yuk) - runners up
2010 - 4th knocked out prelim by eventual premier
2012 - 6th
2023 - possibly missing finals
I'm sure you're aware how silly getting a data point from round 11 from one of the seasons looks.

"Here's how bad something could be if more bad things happen". Okay.

sounds eerily similar to 2008 ..without the redemption

Im not sure I agree. 92 was the year ...bit hard to say a side that went 3rd, 10th, 3rd , 1st, 7th, 4th, 2nd, 7th , 2nd .... and say the 7th was the best side. If so whats that based on ..the purity of GA at FF? Beating the premiers second last game in that run of 5... cause up till then we had won 7 from 16
Based on - we could beat every team, and feared no team, unlike the other years where there was always one better team.

we beat nth by over 90 points, hawks by over 80 points, bombers by over 30 goals and the eagles in subiaco by 20 points back when winning in perth was incredibly difficult.

Do you recall GAS in the WCE game- snapped one of the goal posts iirc.
Bombers--not quite > 30 goals..

Do you recall GAS in the WCE game- snapped one of the goal posts iirc.
Bombers--not quite > 30 goals..
More like almost snapped his back in half.

Injuries cost us one of the most dominant careers, his best was as good, arguably better, than Carey IMO.

I went to that game - Sat afternoon at the MCG -great uncomplicated days back then - because a walk up start like me who just decides at the last minute what they are going to do for the day- could just buy a ticket at the gate for $20 and get in - no booking tickets or any of that nonsense

Geelong played champagne football and tore Nth Melb ( Carey didnt play must mention ) to pieces - Trevor Poole played a slashing game

Re Stoneham i think it was him - but right near the end and the margin just under 100 pts - but Geel got a double goal - 2 goals instead of 1 - might have been Stoneham - kicked a goal - got flattened - and they gave him another kick for another goal - something like that happened right at the death

But back then - when players were all in their proper positions - and Geel were in the mood and put on a blitz there was no better team to watch doing it - just class - skillful football
Trevor Poole's name makes me wince

QF v Hawks 1991

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
9 - Toby Greene (GWS)
6 - Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
6 - Connor Idun (GWS)
5 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 - Harry Perryman (GWS)
2 - Brent Daniels (GWS)

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
9 - Toby Greene (GWS)
6 - Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
6 - Connor Idun (GWS)
5 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 - Harry Perryman (GWS)
2 - Brent Daniels (GWS)
The Greenhouse Effect.

Interesting that it was forwards, outside midfielders and rebounding defenders doing the most damage - rather than the two inside mids we'd expect. There's certainly problem areas all over the ground for us currently.

Yeah, but the fondest memories of 93 was Ablett Snr’s first official full year at full forward. 124 goals in 17 games at an average of 7.3 a game!
14.7 vs bombers in a losing team (I was there)
11.0 vs demons in a losing team (I was there)
10.6 vs kangaroos on Micky Martyn for goal 100 (I was there)
12 vs tigers to get to 45 from first 5 games!
7 vs woods at Vic park / Daicos 8..
Loved Gaz Snr!
Also kicked 10 against the crows i think. In another losing game.

Based on - we could beat every team, and feared no team, unlike the other years where there was always one better team.

I think that was the year that GA played one of his best ever games over in WA and we beat WC at their ground.... but we missed a quarter and half becuase of the TV crossover .

In the end his is entitled to his opinion. He would know the vibe in the rooms... just stikes me funny looking at the result till the last 5 rounds..we were not a reliable winning side.

It was only futile cos the pies let a 5 goal lead to the crows slip in the final match. If we sneaked in to the top 6 (they changed it to the top 8 the very next season) then geelong would of started the finals flag favourites. From sixth.
Was Collingwood's first ever loss to Adelaide. Remember going to my uncle's house to watch it and actually cheering them on

Useless good for nothing campaigners

sounds eerily similar to 2008 ..without the redemption

Im not sure I agree. 92 was the year ...bit hard to say a side that went 3rd, 10th, 3rd , 1st, 7th, 4th, 2nd, 7th , 2nd .... and say the 7th was the best side. If so whats that based on ..the purity of GA at FF? Beating the premiers second last game in that run of 5... cause up till then we had won 7 from 16
Beat the Pies in the first of those wins in one of those now typical hard fought narrow wins we get, smashed then top place norf by 80-odd points, smashed Hawks by a similar amount at KP, had the bye, then beat Essington at KP by 5 goals, and then the Weegles in Perth in the last round. We were imperious to be honest and that form was miles ahead of the rest. Bear in mind top place was just 13-6-1, we were 12-8, finished in 7th place on percentage. That year's ladder also saw the 12th place side on 10-10, highlighting the horrible bottom three. We also only got one serve each of those bottom 3 that year, as the Swans were 1-19, Bears and Tiggers each 4-16.

Probably not totally dissimilar to this year how it could pan out if we strike form late, there is an extra round to catch up. But i reckon we need to be no worse than 7-8 to make the 8, 6-9 might be too far to come back from.

Yes, Blighty standing on the table! Remember it well, watching at my grandma's.

Oddly enough the Crows Pies game was much anticipated by me for quite some time. In the days before Internet and ladder predictors, my dad did his own about five or so rounds out on a spreadsheet. We tried all sorts of combinations and they all pointed to Collingwood having to win that last game. Of course at the time that seemed the way part of the equation, the hard part was how the hell would we beat ALL the top teams in the run home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back