Autopsy Cats lose to Pies by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i disagree... half of our board was preaching the entire season how collingwood are pretenders who will get found out in september because of the apparent "luck" of their wins being a flip of a coin scenario.... i argued a bit and stated collingwood are the real deal and the next best team after us, which they well and truly proved in finals.

Sydney were very lucky to hang on by the skin of their teeth up in sydney against them, and we just got over the line at the MCG.

we were rightfully better than them with 2/2 wins including the final that went against us all night yet we found a way.

i always suspected we would start slow and build into the season. We have a knack of key players going down early in the year of late.

Collingwood was very very fired up as well it is worth noting... that was not a team easing into things, that was a finals like performance from the pies. I don't see them playing better than that.
They can play better; some of their players have not gelled with their system yet. Their conversion was messy at times. They are excellent at the speed and spread, and that is our weakness. They were the best team we played last year, and it took miraculous efforts by Cameron and Rohan to get us over the line and we had very few injuries.
Now we are cursed by injuries, and teams will have noticed what it takes to beat us. Not all teams can do what Pies did last night, but I see us being 1-3 after 4 weeks. Not a lost cause, but an uphill battle.
Watching the game live yesterday at the G, it was remarkable how repetitive it was what the Pies did to us, and we could do nothing about it. Yet, the bizarre thing was how well we scored goals for 3Q, and that accuracy kept us in the game, because we were outplayed. Doubt we had a single winner on the day.
And of course, we can play better as well. We will have to. Carlton and GC away are not great timing for us.

They can play better; some of their players have not gelled with their system yet. Their conversion was messy at times. They are excellent at the speed and spread, and that is our weakness. They were the best team we played last year, and it took miraculous efforts by Cameron and Rohan to get us over the line and we had very few injuries.
Now we are cursed by injuries, and teams will have noticed what it takes to beat us. Not all teams can do what Pies did last night, but I see us being 1-3 after 4 weeks. Not a lost cause, but an uphill battle.
Watching the game live yesterday at the G, it was remarkable how repetitive it was what the Pies did to us, and we could do nothing about it. Yet, the bizarre thing was how well we scored goals for 3Q, and that accuracy kept us in the game, because we were outplayed. Doubt we had a single winner on the day.
And of course, we can play better as well. We will have to. Carlton and GC away are not great timing for us.

Your first sentence can be equally applied to our club.

Problem with Sav is his mares directly result in goals, wasn't alone tonight but had 3 or 4 absolute howlers and that ended up the difference on the night.
Mares by anyone usually result in goals.
Blitz was notorious for it.
The difference tonight was Collingwoods ability to run as ragged in the last stanza.

Just on a side point and apologies if someone has allready mentioned it - i have only read the last 3-4 pages of the thread etc

But watching the game last night - and i like to have the volume off so i just watch the game in a relaxed fashion - but every time Cam Guthrie - (with the neat new short haircut ) came into the play - my brain instantly said to me - theres Menegola - boy he looked like Menegola

I thought Sam had done the Tom Hickey miracle trick - listed in the paper in the week leading up to the game as 6-8 weeks with a knee issue - then miracously played against us and was BOG . But the karma bus ran over poor Tom in the GF- because in that game he looked every inch of a 4 club journeyman - blooody hopeless

The difference tonight was Collingwoods ability to run as ragged in the last stanza.
True. We also had a lot of players down. Some were shadows of those that turned up in the finals last year. Early days. Wobblers were up for it, and we weren’t.
Still in it till the last quarter though.
I think this year we will see a bit of early experimentation, with game plans and personnel. I think there is a sense that generational change is upon us. Expect a bit of experimentation early on.

Just on a side point and apologies if someone has allready mentioned it - i have only read the last 3-4 pages of the thread etc

But watching the game last night - and i like to have the volume off so i just watch the game in a relaxed fashion - but every time Cam Guthrie - (with the neat new short haircut ) came into the play - my brain instantly said to me - theres Menegola - boy he looked like Menegola

I thought Sam had done the Tom Hickey miracle trick - listed in the paper in the week leading up to the game as 6-8 weeks with a knee issue - then miracously played against us and was BOG . But the karma bus ran over poor Tom in the GF- because in that game he looked every inch of a 4 club journeyman - blooody hopeless
Yeah me too. I thought it was Sam.

what do you mean they have not gelled well with their system yet?? they are a very seasoned group who just brought in a brownlow medalist who played close to BOG and bobby hill was probably up there amongst their best as well with 3 goals... so what players from the offseason recruitment are not gelling??

we had if i am recalling correctly 7 players out from our grand final team or playing injured.., they only had ginnivan and howe missing.

imagine how the look of the game would have played out last night if collingwood lost degoey, moore, maynard, tom murphy at a minimum..

i get you believe downplaying us and talking up oppo is a good thing, but i think a bit of perspective of circumstances needs to be applied to last night.

i still consider brisbane a premiership threat, even after an absolute thrashing today with a fit 22...

i imagine all teams are currently trying to play an attacking run and carry game... and it will work for some, and buckle badly for others... not all teams are going to like what they see playing attacking footy.... the game still is and always has been defensive skills as a priority.

alot of teams are going to be fumbly and get opened up badly trying to play a gun slinger style of footy... and will alter their approaches as the year goes on to try and rectify it.

I feel like the game will come back to a balance between defensive focus and attacking focus midyear, and the best will triumph with sound defensive structures that generate quality forward ball movements, and the other teams will be behind with their deficiencies.

Last edited:
Imo it simply comes down to how well we manage the injuries and the players. Our style is seriously good.
We are behind other teams on fitness right now. Even if we were 1-3, if we time it right with management we can go again.
Timing and management are the keys.

I would prefer not to. Feels like conceding defeat and trying limit the blood loss

Depends on if you think we can make the midfield/2nd ruck work without him.

In terms of stiffening up our defence until stewart and duncan are back its our best option though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo it simply comes down to how well we manage the injuries and the players. Our style is seriously good.
We are behind other teams on fitness right now. Even if we were 1-3, if we time it right with management we can go again.
Timing and management are the keys.
Yep the skills and gameplan was fine last night the key concern and it was expected was being overrun in the last qtr

We all saw how much the team struggled in the pre season game up in Bris we all knew fitness was going to be an issue , and yet we played well all night so no drama on that end.

You’re not alone there - at the ground it was very confusing and took until the last quarter to get my head around that being Guthrie & even then I kept confusing myself

Think it’s going to take a while to get used to and if Menegola gets back & is playing seniors alongside Cam, then it’ll be even more confusing

Depends on if you think we can make the midfield/2nd ruck work without him.

In terms of stiffening up our defence until stewart and duncan are back its our best option though.
I don't think we can make that midfield/2nd ruck role work without him.

I'd try a Stanley/Neale combo if we don't have a choice but I doubt it looks anything like what we have now.

You’re not alone there - at the ground it was very confusing and took until the last quarter to get my head around that being Guthrie & even then I kept confusing myself

Think it’s going to take a while to get used to and if Menegola gets back & is playing seniors alongside Cam, then it’ll be even more confusing
" someone pick up Menegola!! his all on his own!!"

player runs to man Guthrie at HBF, while menegola slips out the back into the forward fifty on his own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back