Autopsy Cats lose to Pies by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure Hawkins is playing at 110kg anymore - he does appear to have slimmed down a bit as he's got older

And not sure what we saw Friday night was necessarily his foot being the issue - it's since been reported he received a cork to the calf, and he had that strapped after the game. It would also explain he seemed to have bit of a limp during the night - and that's not something you can plan for going into a game
He clearly looked significantly heavier in the upper body on Friday night than he did last season

Best approach imo non need to start bringing in undone players off the back of one lost where the team played well in anycase

I mean its a gamble because we still need to win enough games in the first 2 months so that we are not playing catchup for top 4. But we have depth and i do think we can cover that. If we do the payoff in terms of having elite older guys firing and not cooked in finals is a big payoff. It worked with danger last year so i can see why we are doing it again.

Looking at Collingwood, they are better than I expected and likely a top 4 side. We were in the box seat until injuries caught up with us so I’m not too worried about getting the wins banked in the first two months. We just need to get our players fit and healthy and then hone the game plan.

I think people are being a bit harsh calling Henry's position is in question.

The kid had his first game in the hoops against his old club with their feral supporters booing him incessantly. And without his brother.

From what I saw he looked pretty good.

He was good. Structurally i still think he is fringe because rohan was also quite good and im not sure you can fit them both in the same side (although ollie clearly is the long term successor to rohan) whereas i think bruhn is essential to the midfield now. But with squad rotation ollie will play a lot of games and i agree he shows promise.

He was good. Structurally i still think he is fringe because rohan was also quite good and im not sure you can fit them both in the same side (although ollie clearly is the long term successor to rohan) whereas i think bruhn is essential to the midfield now. But with squad rotation ollie will play a lot of games and i agree he shows promise.
Ollie did play a lot better up ground tbf maybe that’s how he should be approached for now , they did play him further upfield too in the pre season from memory

Looking at Collingwood, they are better than I expected and likely a top 4 side. We were in the box seat until injuries caught up with us so I’m not too worried about getting the wins banked in the first two months. We just need to get our players fit and healthy and then hone the game plan.
I don't even rate the Pies that highly, any team that gets us in the first 5 or 6 weeks in the season is getting us at the best time for them.

This year we might be lucky, as we got a red hot Pies but the Blues didn't look crash hot last week, the Suns were pathetic against Sydney, the Hawks and Eagles are both going to be bottom 4.
I was worried we hit Rd 6 2w-3l, but after seeing the fixture (I hadn't really looked at it) we likely get to the rd 6 GF rematch being 4-1 at best or 3-2 at worst.
But I think we will beat Carlton this week.

McStay.
Agree with you about our losses- JHenry, Stewart, Kolo, DeK- that's a massive loss from our GF defence.
Sav did really well in our new structure.
But I don't see any really good mids missing that can help us with run and carry, and brilliance. Duncan is not that player.
If you are not worried about our MF, I'm reassured because you are sensible, but it concerns me.
I hope #4 is going to be a beauty, and I know nothing about Bowes.
And I get we are behind in our preparation.
But we need to have an intact list, and luck with those things helps win flags. Being able to manage players loads is crucial, and already we played an underprepared Hawkins.
We hear it's a long season, and that means finals, so hoping that we can stay in touch until we get all our keys back, and that they all meld together in time.
The good things we saw on Friday night, for round 1, were sublime.
Our midfield I believe was a worry also last year and I did talk about it often when I posted. Especially early on in the season it was noticeable the beltings around the ball. The game plan we went and developed did not rely on winning the contest but more so turnovers in our defensive half generating scores. That game against the bulldogs in the second quarter was about 5-6 end to end champagne footy rebound goals..

The other reality is we might not go B2B… B2B is incredibly difficult for even a generational team let alone a very good team.. and I am ok with that if we don’t go B2B… I am chasing it… but I will be proud of the one in 2022 if we don’t either.

They are just extremely hard to win.

They were very good last year, best team we faced, and we only just beat them. Not sure why people don't rate them. Close wins are still wins. And they beat Demons easily in June when no other team could.
Agree, they will again be a top 4 side.

I think people are being a bit harsh calling Henry's position is in question.

The kid had his first game in the hoops against his old club with their feral supporters booing him incessantly. And without his brother.

From what I saw he looked pretty good.
He is a real talent and makes good things happen. The mistakes have to be tolerated because the upside is so big. He plays the game As It Should Be Played. Persist!

You’re not alone there - at the ground it was very confusing and took until the last quarter to get my head around that being Guthrie & even then I kept confusing myself

Think it’s going to take a while to get used to and if Menegola gets back & is playing seniors alongside Cam, then it’ll be even more confusing
I pictured this guy
1679184825684.png

Our midfield I believe was a worry also last year and I did talk about it often when I posted. Especially early on in the season it was noticeable the beltings around the ball. The game plan we went and developed did not rely on winning the contest but more so turnovers in our defensive half generating scores. That game against the bulldogs in the second quarter was about 5-6 end to end champagne footy rebound goals..

The other reality is we might not go B2B… B2B is incredibly difficult for even a generational team let alone a very good team.. and I am ok with that if we don’t go B2B… I am chasing it… but I will be proud of the one in 2022 if we don’t either.

They are just extremely hard to win.
We could not go btb in 08, with a brilliant list. Not sure how Tigers and Hawks did it, but it does seem very elusive for us.

Hated the way the Pies players treated Ollie, it’s such childish crap, I lost a lot of respect for them in this game for that. Bunch of heroes picking on a kid who wasn’t getting games. Our players didn’t do that to Clark. Maynard doing the same to Langdon last year was lame too, just beat them on the field ya tossers.

Also, how much dropping of the knees for high tackles do the pies players do?

Last year was such a win for a great football team that plays the game as it should be played and with respect for all.

We’ll be fine, ran out of legs and lost cohesion in our backline. Midfield is finding its way without Joel’s leadership, it’ll come. Pies were desperate and played like it was a final, Cats didn’t. Premierships aren’t won in March.
Agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger was very ordinary.
Not much game time
He was our leading possession winner, kicked a goal and contested a couple of big marking contests really well. thought he was one of our best even if he was well below his best.

plus how is not much game time an indicator of being ordinary?

We could not go btb in 08, with a brilliant list. Not sure how Tigers and Hawks did it, but it does seem very elusive for us.
Unfortunately 2008 was just the biggest finals choke in history and a brilliant tactician taking us apart… we really should have won it.

There was plenty of times early last year we looked absolutely terrible early on… Sydney spanked us up there… hawthorn made us look so slow and old it was like we needed some nurses to assist them to positions… entirely different to the run and carry we saw second half.

Problem is we need to be there abouts… we can’t go 0-5 and expect to get far

I don't even rate the Pies that highly, any team that gets us in the first 5 or 6 weeks in the season is getting us at the best time for them.

This year we might be lucky, as we got a red hot Pies but the Blues didn't look crash hot last week, the Suns were pathetic against Sydney, the Hawks and Eagles are both going to be bottom 4.
I was worried we hit Rd 6 2w-3l, but after seeing the fixture (I hadn't really looked at it) we likely get to the rd 6 GF rematch being 4-1 at best or 3-2 at worst.
But I think we will beat Carlton this week.
Best time to get cats is first 6 weeks??? Why’s that?

Never much fun travelling all the way up to the 'G, only to have to put up with The Filth after Collingwood win.

My thoughts on the match after a couple of days to calm down:

* We were horrible at defending the ground as a team. Collingwood moved the ball as they pleased for the whole game, through the corridor or switching the ball with ease. This was a problem at the start of 2022 as well, so hopefully it is a focus of the review this week. It is a team setup and/or attitude problem and has nothing to do with any injuries we sustained.

* This Collingwood spread started at the stoppage - we couldn't or wouldn't defend their extra, so their second 'spread' possession out of the stoppage killed us all night.

* Apart from a period in the third quarter when we got on top, we were smashed out of the middle. Whatever the stats say, any clearances we got at other times were low quality, whereas they were able to exit from the front of the square and get quality deep entries into their forward line. When we were 4 goals up and had kicked 16.1, I said to my companions that we were lucky to be up at all. It proved to be so.

* Don't blame this loss on injuries - we weren't the best side out there last night.

The Good:

* SavRat was good in defense, and will become more important with Stewart and SDK possibly out. Only made one glaring error (not spoiling Cox from behind in the first quarter) and saved a couple of certain goals with desperate acts and/or marks.

* Atkins was Atkins. Stengle was Stengle. Cameron was good. Ollie Henry was also good IMO - handled the pressure and showed he will add something to the forward line.

The Bad:

* Our ball movement. I can count on one hand the times we took a kick into the middle or switched the play - it was all long to a contest down the line. A few times we got it over the back in this situation and got some flow, but it shouldn't be the go to play. We have to rediscover some quick movement from 2023 in a hurry.

* Parfitt had the opportunity to put his hand up as the early sub. He didn't. Bruhn still in front of him at this stage. Worried that he won't ever put it together, but hoping that he does in his late 20's a-la Cam Guthrie.

The Ugly

* Why on earth did they play Hawkins? He was proppy with his foot from the first five minutes. Why you would play a 110kg 34-year old coming off a foot injury in Round 1 with little preparation is beyond me.
Yeah Kane Cornes highlighted how we were embarrassed out of the middle and weren’t alert to it. Questioned if we were complacent which is fair enough I thought..

Best time to get cats is first 6 weeks??? Why’s that?
Because of a limited pre season after about 15 years of limited pre seasons due to club making finals and GF’s

The list and especially the older players need to be eased into peak fitness and they’ll come eventually

The next stage in Sav's development is when NOT to go for marks, particularly when 3 deep. That sense will come with more game time down there.
But given how many inside 50's he had to deal with, a number of which where he was effectively the only tall, he did pretty well.
Agreed - He had a real brain fade moment.. and got done for a hold ( welcome to being a KDP) and the tripping one im still aghast at but whatever.

What i liked moreover was his closing speed to the contest and his ability to effect the contest when seemingly out of position. He spoiled to marks specifically that were HT and Domsy like (no he's not even close to them yet so calm down) but the fact he could dive and get a fist in and then also be out the back and come across 3rd man and effect the spoil was great to see. His size, speed and athleticism will give him ability others can only dream of.

Hes gonna take 30 games back there to get into a groove - and thats a lot for a 6th year bloke - but he's got his spot now and just needs time to get better at it. An whether we want to give him the time or not that way our back 10 is going, he's gonna be there every week for many more weeks.

GO Caters

Agreed - He had a real brain fade moment.. and got done for a hold ( welcome to being a KDP) and the tripping one im still aghast at but whatever.

What i liked moreover was his closing speed to the contest and his ability to effect the contest when seemingly out of position. He spoiled to marks specifically that were HT and Domsy like (no he's not even close to them yet so calm down) but the fact he could dive and get a fist in and then also be out the back and come across 3rd man and effect the spoil was great to see. His size, speed and athleticism will give him ability others can only dream of.

Hes gonna take 30 games back there to get into a groove - and thats a lot for a 6th year bloke - but he's got his spot now and just needs time to get better at it. An whether we want to give him the time or not that way our back 10 is going, he's gonna be there every week for many more weeks.

GO Caters
Just reminded me of that free…it wasn’t a trip ffs I can’t believe the umpire went with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back